Author Topic: IT: “I should have sat out the playoffs. No doubt I made the hip worse.”  (Read 4808 times)

Re: IT: “I should have sat out the playoffs. No doubt I made the hip worse.”
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
After Kyrie injured his knee in the playoffs 3 years ago, his dad had a non-team doctor look at it. That's what players should do with serious injuries.

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
IT4, just stop. You're playing next to one of the best players in the world. You will be contending for multiple titles as long as that guy is on the court next to you.

You should be thanking Ainge he traded you to Cleveland than say Detroit or the tough West.

SW, you stop.  You post on one of the best forums in the world.  Your team will be contending for the next decade. 

You should be happy that your fellow posters have anted-up 237 TPs to your credit.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
After Kyrie injured his knee in the playoffs 3 years ago, his dad had a non-team doctor look at it. That's what players should do with serious injuries.

Unfortunately, Isaiah's dad was not a former professional basketball player. 

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I love IT, I really do. 

I appreciate him to the point where, even in a Cavs jersey, I will still root for him (though will put Boston first, of course).  I haven't felt that way about a player since Pierce and KG, that's how much love I have for Thomas and everything he did here.   

But my patience is starting to wear thin with his constant whining, and it's getting to the point where it's starting to tarnish the overwhelmingly positive view I've had of him this entire time.  He's starting to sound like Kevin Durant with his random media outbursts and finger pointing, and I'm it's starting to rub me the wrong way.

Please IT - you have made your feelings well know, and I think just about every Celtics fan understands and sympathises right now.  Let it go.  You are in Cleveland now, playing alongside arguably the best player in the world, on a legitimate championship contender - and instead of talking about your appreciation for Cleveland, your new teammates, and your new fans, all you're doing is Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing and whining about Danny Ainge. 

Do yourself a favour - let it go.  Yes I know it hurts that Danny traded you. I know that in your heart you believe you are every bit as good as Kyrie, and as such you see it as a stab in the heart to hear that Danny Ainge considered Kyrie to be a better player then you.  You take that person.  I get that.   But even if you do consider yourself to be on Kyrie's level (and so you should!), even you cannot ignore the obvious:

1. Your contract is expiring, and Boston would struggle to afford to sign you to a max while also extending Smart/Tatum/Brown in the future

2. You are 28 years old PG on a team that has aspirations to be competitive for the next 5-10 years

3. You are a shoot first PG who depends heavily on athleticism, yet you are coming off a major season ending hip injury

Cast aside the "who is a better player" argument Isaiah, and put yourself in Danny's shoes.  You have a chance to trade the above guy for another shoot first PG who plays the same style of game as you and is just as good as you, but:

1. Is only 25 year old (meaning a better fit for this young teams future success)

2. Is CURRENTLY healthy (yeah I know theres a history)

3. Has a game based more on skill and size then on athleticism (and hence a game less likely to age)

4. Is locked in for two more years on an relatively affordable (bargain really) contract

The decision if you are Danny Ainge is a no brainer.  It's not personal - it's business.  It's making the decision that will make this team viable for the longest possible time window. 

So cry out the tears, lay in to the punching bag - do whatever you need to in order to get the emotions and the frustration out, so that when the camera is on you and the mic is in your hand, you can keep your comments professional.   

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 11:23:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Noticed a lot of Celtics fans getting tired of IT and with good reason.

Lets destroy the cavs on tuesday

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
crimson, I agree with just about all your bullet points.  But Ainge owed it to IT to not blindside him.  I don't see how it would've affected his ability to acquire Kyrie, and I can't think of any professional environment where that would not have been the decent thing to do in a comparable situation.   

Noticed a lot of Celtics fans getting tired of IT and with good reason.

Lets destroy the cavs on tuesday

I'm sure we will if Kyrie brings his best confetti cupcake impression.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:32:05 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 12:08:24 AM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I my self also loved IT on what he did for Celtics in general.

The energy, can start the spark and keep the engine rolling, but with adding Hayward even with out losing Bradley would not make us to the promise land, we may be able to have a peek, a step forward from last year but you will need all the luck in the world to get there.

plus he was traded to the team of the king! LBJ.... its not a team that would need to tank for 5 years. its a team that goes to the finals.

and this could be blessing in disguise for him cause all Cleveland needs to do is reach play off which is easily achievable...  by the time he heals, then that's the time to show brink trucks again!!!!
I do think this is not the time for IT to go and whining... it sucks to hear it from him. especially when you loved what he did....

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 04:15:01 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
It should be a lesson for all players, particularly here: self before team.
Maybe health before team. I always put my long term health and family before business. IT is probably thinking he did the same thing, though I doubt it would change the fact that he is now a Cav and not a Celtic.

I think self. Health, money, opportunity.  Players should maximize whatever is best to them, to the detriment of the organization if necessary.

If there's no loyalty from an organization, why sacrifice for them? Hometown discounts, playing through pain, waiting your turn. Why would anybody do that?

Because for some people, it gives them more comfortable situations, plus they actually benefit more from it. Do you think Durant will regret taking hometown discounts? How about those Spurs stars?

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 04:39:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Did the Celtics put a gun to his head? Did they put a gun to Kevin McHale's head and make him play with a broken foot? He made the choice and it is what it is.

No, but that was a completely different situation.  Really, the only thing that IT and McHale have in common is that they were both let down by the team's medical staff, imo.  Obviously, we don't know to what, if any, extent that Lacerte and Show Me What That Twerk Doo knew and when they knew it, but with McHale our brilliant medical staff ::) didn't even know that Kevin had a stress fracture until Chicago's doctors examined him or looked at the x-rays or something, I don't remember, exactly, during the playoffs that year, and the reason why they were able to do so was that they knew exactly what to look for, given that as Jordan had suffered the same injury during the year before, whereas the clowns in Boston had been telling McHale that the pain was "all in his head" FOR MONTHS :o.  I believe that Kevin called those idiots up after his consultation with Chicago's people and said, "My foot's broken!" and hung up. 

In fairness, though, it's not like Lacerte and co. were all that better during those years, imo.  I mean, they allowed Bird to play heavy minutes during the 89-90 season, including back-to-backs, and coming off of double achilles surgery, no less, and made the same mistake after the poor guy had had back surgery prior to his final season.  I'm no medical expert, but isn't that just common sense?

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 05:04:57 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It should be a lesson for all players, particularly here: self before team.
Maybe health before team. I always put my long term health and family before business. IT is probably thinking he did the same thing, though I doubt it would change the fact that he is now a Cav and not a Celtic.

I think self. Health, money, opportunity.  Players should maximize whatever is best to them, to the detriment of the organization if necessary.

If there's no loyalty from an organization, why sacrifice for them? Hometown discounts, playing through pain, waiting your turn. Why would anybody do that?

Because for some people, it gives them more comfortable situations, plus they actually benefit more from it. Do you think Durant will regret taking hometown discounts? How about those Spurs stars?

I've always found this term to be rather comical given that guys like Durant already make a ton in endorsements.  It's not like they're making some incredible sacrifice, imo.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I don't think Isaiah played solely for the Celtics, he played for himself too, let's not get deluded about that. Guys play cause they want to play.
IT played for himself cause:
- He wanted to prove that 5'9'' guy like him (unproven in the league history up to that point) can make a difference, be the man in the playoffs, that he isn't a .376 shooter that he was in his first 10 career playoff games. That was important to him so he could have more anchorage when requesting his much-desired max contract.
- He said it himself, that basketball court was his biggest safe haven during the times when his sister passed away. Basketball was his therapy to stay in one piece during this tough times. Everyone needs that one thing to stay sane/operational, he found his. I am glad he did.
- He recruited Al Horford, one summer ago, and Hayward this one, cause he wanted better/All-star teammates. He had no contractual obligations to do it. I will take that he wanted better teammates, leading to better team performance, leading to more probable accomplishments, leading to the future better position when negotiating a new contract.

I really respect Isaiah and I think that he was like a fresh water in the desert for us during the rebuild years. But when people get overly emotional, as he understandably did, they tend to twist (sometimes unintentionally) the truth. When he is trying to put Danny or the ownership down, he should be realistic, as he can't deny that they helped his career immensely and that both sides had a great and benefiting collaboration.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:56:56 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 05:38:40 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I'm happy that we got Kyrie, but I also understand IT as well. Talking about he was hurt and he feels angry just shows that he realy loved Boston and Celtics. He found some kind of home here, became leader and other stuff. I also understand he's mad at Danny, because he also felt they two were connected in some way, by comunicating about all plans and roster and trades and everything... After all that, it's natural to feel betrayed. It's just that kind of business, where you always have to be careful and keep yourself on distance with emotions and connections with people. IT just stepped that line and mixed emotions with business. Probably he realises that now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:44:57 AM by iadera »

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I guess I read that quote different than most everyone else. I didn't read it as IT trying to put blame on anyone or accusing anyone of mistreatment. I just read it as an observation about his injury status now. It's worse because he played through pain in the playoffs. I don't think that's a controversial statement at all and I'm sure both he and the team were on the same page in terms of wanting him to play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I'm happy that we got Kyrie, but I also understand IT as well. Talking about he was hurt and he feels angry just shows that he realy loved Boston and Celtics. He found some kind of home here, became leader and other stuff. I also understand he's mad at Danny, because he also felt they two were connected in some way, by comunicating about all plans and roster and trades and everything... After all that, it's natural to feel betrayed. It's just that kind of business, where you always have to be careful and keep yourself on distance with emotions and connections with people. IT just stepped that line and mixed emotions with business. Probably he realises that now.
Kyrie was enough to move the needle. Top  25 year old 20 talent is not easy to get. DA was able to do it. IT will always be loved here. But he must move along and Leave Boston behind. I hope he plays well even against us as long as we win. I hope his Brink's truck happen to such a great guy. too
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
IT has lost me now.

Dude, you consciously chose to play to further build your own brand in pursuit of a contract. C'mon man. Accept what happened like a man (you were traded for a younger more talented player) and move on.

Amen
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird