Author Topic: IT: “I should have sat out the playoffs. No doubt I made the hip worse.”  (Read 4801 times)

Re: IT: “I should have sat out the playoffs. No doubt I made the hip worse.”
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 05:42:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Interesting.

Yes.  But everyone plays through injuries... <-- problem

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I am not sure that there is "no doubt" playing made the hip worse.  Sure, he would have had a few more weeks of rest and playing didn't help but I am not so sure you can say definitively that it changed the overall healing process in a meaningful way.  Maybe that is true, possibly even "probably" but no doubt?

I think the injury is a hip impingement with a labral tear, so yeah, playing on it probably made it worse. Playing on injuries pretty much always tends to make them worse, but especially tears and issues involving the hips/core. That's where you get your strength, so there's really no way to "favor" or play around it.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Did the Celtics put a gun to his head? Did they put a gun to Kevin McHale's head and make him play with a broken foot? He made the choice and it is what it is.

Right...but then you can't complain when you hurt yourself so bad you might blow up the next season while expecting the team to unload a ton of cash to re-sign you.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 07:09:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
IT's sacrifice in playing through the injury no doubt pushed BOS further than what it would've gone if he would've shut it down for the playoffs.

We would've struggled VS CHI, and WAS would've beaten us.

Losing to WAS would've no doubt given Hayward (or any other FA) pause.

We were quite the successful image to the NBA and a solid FA landing spot - especially after courting Durant, KLove and Big Al.

IT was a HUUUGE part of that. Danny - in essence - capitalized off of IT's (and BOS) success to get to where we are now.

He indeed gave his all and has a right to be upset.

I'd hope, though, that he lets the wounds - physical and otherwise - heal.

I wish him the best.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It should be a lesson for all players, particularly here: self before team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe health before team. I always put my long term health and family before business. IT is probably thinking he wished he did the same thing, though I doubt it would change the fact that he is now a Cav and not a Celtic.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:18:31 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Enough already...
Yup

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe health before team. I always put my long term health and family before business. IT is probably thinking he did the same thing, though I doubt it would change the fact that he is now a Cav and not a Celtic.

I think self. Health, money, opportunity.  Players should maximize whatever is best to them, to the detriment of the organization if necessary.

If there's no loyalty from an organization, why sacrifice for them? Hometown discounts, playing through pain, waiting your turn. Why would anybody do that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe health before team. I always put my long term health and family before business. IT is probably thinking he did the same thing, though I doubt it would change the fact that he is now a Cav and not a Celtic.

I think self. Health, money, opportunity.  Players should maximize whatever is best to them, to the detriment of the organization if necessary.

If there's no loyalty from an organization, why sacrifice for them? Hometown discounts, playing through pain, waiting your turn. Why would anybody do that?
Yeah, we're very close to thinking the same thing. IT's problem was he was sure the team would sacrifice for him after the way he sacrificed for them. Big mistake on IT's part.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
How many former athletes out there??

I played through multiple injuries and WITHOUT a doubt I can say at no time was I thinking about anything but myself AS A PLAYER.  If i was too injured to play I would sit, i.e. Hurt team or embarrass myself.  If I could play at a solid level I would play.   Maybe its different when the $ per game is millions (or whatever it is) instead of  much lower amounts but when you hit a level the intensity of playing ever minute of every game means something.

I think IT should let it go, watch film until healthy enough to work on a part of his game and have a good season. Wish him well but this is getting old quick.  All the rondo haters out there...rondo didn't react like this now did he?

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Okay, so then IT is trying to say that either he or his doctors went to the Brad and said he couldn't play?

And then he had to be convinced to play anyway against his better judgement?

Where were these follow up questions from the reporter?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I played through multiple injuries and WITHOUT a doubt I can say at no time was I thinking about anything but myself AS A PLAYER.  If i was too injured to play I would sit, i.e. Hurt team or embarrass myself.  If I could play at a solid level I would play.   Maybe its different when the $ per game is millions (or whatever it is) instead of  much lower amounts but when you hit a level the intensity of playing ever minute of every game means something.

I think IT should let it go, watch film until healthy enough to work on a part of his game and have a good season. Wish him well but this is getting old quick.  All the rondo haters out there...rondo didn't react like this now did he?

I was expected to return to play 2 weeks after my father died in high school.  Didn't turn out that well.  Heightened my appreciation for IT, though. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Nice first paragraph.  Everyone seems to be making this about money.  I think Isaiah is just a competitor who played as long as his body would allow him to play.  I think the only self centered aspect was that he loved being in the spotlight and loved being the face of the team in games of that magnitude.  He did it because the fans loved him and he loved them.  I really don’t think he was thinking of a future financial reward by playing.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yeah, we're very close to thinking the same thing. IT's problem was he was sure the team would sacrifice for him after the way he sacrificed for them. Big mistake on IT's part.

I don't think he necessarily expected the team to sacrifice for him.  He was blindsided, and may have preferred to be informed that he was being moved.  Personally, I think he should've been part of the process after all he gave to the organization. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
IT4, just stop. You're playing next to one of the best players in the world. You will be contending for multiple titles as long as that guy is on the court next to you.

You should be thanking Ainge he traded you to Cleveland than say Detroit or the tough West.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)