Author Topic: Tony Allen's # to be retired....  (Read 5617 times)

Tony Allen's # to be retired....
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Re: Tony Allen's # to be retired....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Interesting....ZBo got the same promise

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
based on what they said, I would say Tony Allen's number does deserve to be retired. If his contribution goes beyond his stats and impact is so embedded into Memphis' community, then I feel it is very well deserved.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Well..i guess they need to start hanging something in their rafters or walls.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE!

Good for him.  Definitely wouldn't qualify here, but the Grit n' Grind era in Memphis deserves to be immortalized.  Conley, TA, Z-Bo, and Gasol should all end up in the rafters.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
All 4 of them will definitely get their numbers retired.

I think a few of them are getting statues as well.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That is crazy. Imagine if we were retiring Tony Allen's #? He only played one additional season in Memphis, but it would be so unacceptable it would lead to protests. Heck, he only averaged one season in double figures and that was with the Cs. He also won his only championship here.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Congrats to Tony! Must have eaten a lot of salmon and mashed potatoes in Memphis!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 12:46:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
love TA but I think it speaks more to how desperate that franchise is to have someone/something recognized there than just about anywhere else.  what other franchise would retire his jersey for what he's accomplished?  if he's a huge contributor in the area that's great but not what I would think a jersey should be retired for.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good for "Trick or Treat" Tony.

Doesn't speak much to the MEM franchise as a whole but that's quite the honor for any player.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
love TA but I think it speaks more to how desperate that franchise is to have someone/something recognized there than just about anywhere else.  what other franchise would retire his jersey for what he's accomplished?  if he's a huge contributor in the area that's great but not what I would think a jersey should be retired for.
At first in my brain I disagreed and thought "A franchise can definitely retire a beloved player's # who didn't achieve tons" and then I tried to think of examples and it was almost impossible to come up with players that didn't win a lot AND/OR didn't get lots of major awards.

Perk?

Dave Roberts?

Bill Buckner as an apology

Long snapper?

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
At first in my brain I disagreed and thought "A franchise can definitely retire a beloved player's # who didn't achieve tons" and then I tried to think of examples and it was almost impossible to come up with players that didn't win a lot AND/OR didn't get lots of major awards.

Perk?

Dave Roberts?

Long snapper?

6x's All Defense doesn't count as a ton of awards?

If he averaged 20+ppg but was a sieve on D for 7 seasons nobody would bat an eye.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Some cities are desperate to hang up something. Miami was hanging up division champion banners before they got LeBron

Lol

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Perk?

Dave Roberts?

Long snapper?

6x's All Defense doesn't count as a ton of awards?

If he averaged 20+ppg but was a sieve on D for 7 seasons nobody would bat an eye.
fair enough - using that standard you could make the argument that Bruce Bowen's jersey should be retired in SAS.   I don't think you'd find many people saying Bowen's should be retired.

as for scoring 20+ for 7 seasons - it'd still be a debate that depended on the player, what else they accomplished, what franchise and what the team accomplished with that player.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I wouldn't call this desperate at all. It's just relative. The criteria for the Bulls to retire a jersery are different then the Grizzlies.

Also, the grizzlies have been around 23 seasons.  The first 8 seasons they were the worst team in the league followed by 3 winning seasons with  Pau Gasol followed by 4 more losing seasons after they traded him.  The first 15 seasons of this franchise's existence was downright terrible.

Then they signed Tony Allen.  Everything changed for the Grizz when Tony Allen, The Grindfather, stepped on the court wearing Memphis blue, and when he came up with his famous tag line "grit and grind" in a post game interview.  He did for them what KG did for us, (except the obvious ring).  They Grizz went on to have 7 good to very good consecutive seasons with multiple 50+ win seasons.

I applaud them for honoring defense, intangibles, leadership and hustle and this could open the doors a bit for Marcus to get his number retired here :)

Every franchise needs a foundation to build off of.... a culture to follow.  The Celtics has their, toughness and grit since the Bill Russell days.  Lakers have theirs, showtime, and that continues to today.