Author Topic: Win Projection for Season  (Read 15229 times)

Win Projection for Season
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I noticed Jeff Clark predicts 50 wins. 

I think that is too low.

I predict 60.  Team chemistry looks great. Bench is stronger than expected. Defense better than expected.  Rebounding better than expected.  Morris's rust will wear off soon, and frankly they will be fine before it does. Hayward struggling to find his identity, but am confident that will happen very soon.

60 is my number.  First in the Eastern Conference.  By several games.

What do you project?

Re: Win Projection for Season
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celts were as good as a 48 win team last season (Expect W/L based on point differential).

They added, on net, probably 4-5 wins worth of talent this off-season.

On the other hand, they have no continuity whatsoever in the starting lineup, unless Smart or Brown is starting beside Horford.

I think the lack of continuity is worth 2-3 wins.

So, 48 + 4.5 - 2.5 = 50

I think you maybe could argue for an extra 2-3 wins because the bottom of the conference is really bad this year, but I feel OK about 50.

Setting aside a very specific win total projection, I feel good about expecting the Celts to finish with about the same number of wins as the Cavs, and for the Wiz or Raps to finish ahead of them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
57.  The east is ridiculously worse then last year.

This team is also a lot , LOT better then last year.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm going with 56 wins.

I'm not that worried about the team gelling - if Brad could get the 14-15 team to come together midseason he'll do fine with this bunch. But I am worried about whether or not we'll be able to consistently get up for all the games against crappy East opponents. If we don't have that kind of temperament it'll probably be closer to 50.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I will go with 58. We still have players that need to be integrated into the offense (and defense), but as fwf pointed out, Stevens is among the best at this.

Even if we don't reach that #, I think we are a more formidable opponent to Cleveland in the playoffs; I also love the future of this team.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I predict 58 wins.

Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford all have high basketball IQ's, and have play styles that mesh well. You have a primary and two secondary ball handlers. All three can shoot the three. In fact, I expect Boston to be one of the best three point shooting teams, along with Golden St and Houston.

We're going to beat up on less talented teams. They may struggle against the elite teams, but I bet they can go roughly .500 against the best of the best. 

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The Celts were as good as a 48 win team last season (Expect W/L based on point differential).

They added, on net, probably 4-5 wins worth of talent this off-season.

On the other hand, they have no continuity whatsoever in the starting lineup, unless Smart or Brown is starting beside Horford.

I think the lack of continuity is worth 2-3 wins.

So, 48 + 4.5 - 2.5 = 50

I think you maybe could argue for an extra 2-3 wins because the bottom of the conference is really bad this year, but I feel OK about 50.

Setting aside a very specific win total projection, I feel good about expecting the Celts to finish with about the same number of wins as the Cavs, and for the Wiz or Raps to finish ahead of them.

Your analysis sounds like the ESPN article that concluded we were 15th in terms of matching up vs. GSW.   I prefer the eye test. This team reminds me of the big 3 team of 2007 during pre-season. They just jelled very quickly. 

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I also go for 58 wins. That will bring the 1st seed and will compete with Houston for being the 2nd best record after Golden State.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
I agree largely with PhoSita's analysis, but I'm going to be more optimistic and say 53 wins just because I think the talent of our top 3 guys will be enough alone to compensate for the lack of cohesiveness early. It is a good point though that we over performed our point differential last year, that kind of stuff evens out in the long run.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
63 wins

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
As long as we stay relatively healthy, 60+.

We already look well on our way to developing chemistry, and in the meantime we have enough raw offensive talent that we'll continue to win games as we gel together as a team.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
62 for me
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird