Author Topic: Kyrie Irving: Boston Feels More Like A "Sports City" Than Cleveland  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738279-kyrie-irving-says-boston-feels-more-like-a-sports-city-than-cleveland

Kyrie Irving spent the first six years of his NBA career with the Cleveland Cavaliers, but it sounds like he already feels at home with the Boston Celtics as the start of his first campaign with the reigning Atlantic Division champions approaches.         

Speaking to reporters prior to Wednesday's preseason tilt with the Charlotte Hornets at Spectrum Center, Irving said he's quickly become enamored with Boston since he believes it's more lively than Northeast Ohio, per Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe:

"It’s a really major city. Coming from Cleveland, the Midwest, where the culture is different. And then you move to the East Coast — into Boston — and it’s so real [and] alive. An ongoing, thriving city. Consistently. No matter what hour throughout the night.

"You would go to Cleveland, and it would be at nighttime, and things would be going on, but you just see a vast difference in terms of what the Midwest is — Cleveland — and what Boston is. Boston, I’m driving in and [thinking], ‘I’m really playing in a real, live sports city?’ And a great city."

Boston, of course, has a rich sports history thanks to the Celtics' regular banner-raising practices in the 1960s and 1980s, as well as sustained excellence throughout the millennium from the Boston Red Sox and dynastic New England Patriots.

The Cleveland sports scene can't compare in terms of sheer titles, but the Indians' recent brilliance combined with the Cavaliers' resurgence following LeBron James' return in 2014 can't be discounted.

And after Irving's comments, the Wine and Gold faithful are likely to let him hear it when the Celtics travel to Quicken Loans Arena for their 2017-18 regular-season opener next Tuesday.

Nice to hear!  ;D

Looks like he's loving the city, and yeah Boston does tend to have a lot of passionate (and rowdy) fans LOL. It's definitely a tougher and harsher market overall because of it though (I'll agree with that).

The difference is, Isaiah will get cheers at TD Garden, and Kyrie is likely to get booed at Quicken Loans Arena. The difference between us and Cavaliers fans!

That being said, I saw some First Take today, and Max Kellerman made a good point (they were talking about Lebron, NOT coach Lue, moving Love to the Center position): The Cavaliers are and have only been relevant because of James, and if he leaves in 2018, it's "over" and they are back to mediocrity for YEARS until they miraculously find another James. Maybe Kyrie knew it was a given that Cleveland wasn't beating Golden State this upcoming year either, and he also knew as a result Lebron would leave (like it was a given). Might have contributed to his reasoning behind demanding a trade back in July.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Kyrie Irving: Boston Feels More Like A "Sports City" Than Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738279-kyrie-irving-says-boston-feels-more-like-a-sports-city-than-cleveland

The difference is, Isaiah will get cheers at TD Garden, and Kyrie is likely to get booed at Quicken Loans Arena. The difference between us and Cavaliers fans!

did you get that from Pierce? those were his exact words after the game!

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

did you get that from Pierce? those were his exact words after the game!

Wait really? No I didn't see it.  :P

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Different circumstances. Look at how Boston fans treated Ray Allen, or Roger Clemens, or Johnny Damon.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Different circumstances. Look at how Boston fans treated Ray Allen, or Roger Clemens, or Johnny Damon.

Actually, that's true too.

But considering that's the ONLY championship the Cavaliers have in their franchise history...

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kyrie is going to regret that quote opening night in Cleveland. It may be true but still.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Kyrie is going to regret that quote opening night in Cleveland. It may be true but still.

To be honest, does it really make a difference? I think CLE fans were going to be hostile against him before this quote anyways.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, one guy asked to be traded and the other made it widely known how much he loved his city and wanted to be with the team for a long time.

Also, even after the trade, one guy talked about how much better the city he is now in is a better sports city and more lively, while the other guy says he still loves Boston and its fans (but may never speak to DA again).

As for Irving's comments, I think it's funny how he talks about Boston's nightlife like it's a positive. I guess when you come from Cleveland, it may seem that way. Let's hope he never gets an opportunity to go out in NYC, Miami, LA, or a number of other cities.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

It's not really true. Living in Cleveland, they have a pretty good fanbase here. Being downtown and in University Circle everyday, you always see a ton of Browns, Indians, and especially Cavs shirts, and I regularly get people randomly talking to me about the teams.

It is certainly much poorer and much more of a "Midwestern" city than a bigger Northeastern city like Boston, though. Hell, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are very related culturally and historically, yet Pittsburgh seems much nicer and newer than Cleveland, though Cleveland is on the upswing right now.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Nice, that didn't take long.  We've already got a comfy cupcake. 

I think Kyrie may be the biggest beneficiary of the hand-check rules in the NBA.  I guess you could make a case for Steph Curry, but since he's the best shooter of all time, he should get a pass. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:15:04 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

It's not really true. Living in Cleveland, they have a pretty good fanbase here. Being downtown and in University Circle everyday, you always see a ton of Browns, Indians, and especially Cavs shirts, and I regularly get people randomly talking to me about the teams.

It is certainly much poorer and much more of a "Midwestern" city than a bigger Northeastern city like Boston, though. Hell, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are very related culturally and historically, yet Pittsburgh seems much nicer and newer than Cleveland, though Cleveland is on the upswing right now.

Yeah Browns fans definitely are a loyal bunch, I'll give them that.

Indians are definitely the hype in Cleveland now but it looks like they may be eliminated after tonight (and Yankees advance... YUCK)

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:05:55 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Ok, but is this enough to offset the fact that in Cleveland, the heart of rock and roll is still beating?

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
“The last couple weeks have been pretty crazy for me,” Hayward said, per ESPN. “There was just something different about Boston and different about being a Celtic. It was just a special feeling when talking about being a Boston Celtic. And that ultimately won me over.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/gordon-hayward-special-feeling-celtics/

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 01:33:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Nice, that didn't take long.  We've already got a comfy cupcake. 

I think Kyrie may be the biggest beneficiary of the hand-check rules in the NBA.  I guess you could make a case for Steph Curry, but since he's the best shooter of all time, he should get a pass. 

I love it that you hate Kyrie so much.  Totally because he's from Duke, so obvious.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

To be honest, does it really make a difference? I think CLE fans were going to be hostile against him before this quote anyways.

That's true. Kyrie declined training camp and all. Dissed LBJ at one point. They were going to destroy him regardless. Why not one-up those punks.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)