Author Topic: Wiggins signs max contract  (Read 4978 times)

Re: Wiggins signs max contract
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Good for the wolves. While it is a ton of money, Wiggins is one of the best young players in the game. It’s hard for them to sign talent and it’s good to see them not botch this situation with their young star like they did with Love. Have to do the same for Towns next year.

He is not even close to that. He is a volume scorer and nothing more right now. And volume scorers are the easiest player to replace or get on your team. You are basically paying a player to score in volume inefficiently and praying he develops other skills. Cause right now he has none.
Lol wrong. Wiggins is absolutely one of the best young players in the league. He is only 22 years old. Almost every young star has holes in their game. KAT (defense), Embiid (Injuries), Booker (defense), Simmons (shooting). Most people don’t start off like Lebron or Duncan without any holes in their game.

Wiggins is already an elite scorer. He dropped 23 ppg last year on 45.2% and 35.6% from 3. He also did that while having horrendous spacing around him. He played in a lineup with 2 centers and a total non factor from outside in Rubio next to him. He’s also only missed 1 game in 3 years. Wiggins has holes in his game, but to say he is not one of the best young players in the game is ridiculous.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. He is not even close to one of the best young best young players in the game. It is not about him having holes in his game. It's that he does only one thing well right now. Volume score. He is one of the worst defensive players in the league. His opponents shooting % shows that you could have air guarding them and their % would actually go down. He is an awful passer despite his potential(not his actual assists) assists going up every year. He is a terrible rebounder who often drifts out of position. He has terrible footwork and often lags on plays. He is NOT an elite scorer. You see the PPG and age and like a naive fan think he must be a great scorer. He is a volume scorer and shooter. I don't think you know what volume scoring is.

Advanced statistics HATE Wiggins. VORP, BPM, RMP, DRPM, etc all ranked him among the worst players at his position. Wiggins defenders point out that advanced stats don't truly capture his ability as a player and penalize his deficiencies too harshly. Advanced stat fans will say they accurately show what players like Wiggins are doing on the court. One trick ponies who don't make anyone better.

The Timberwolves will pray he improves or they will end up paying for it for a long time.
Honestly, you’re the one who couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. You sound like someone who doesn’t actually watch the games but likes to argue anyway. I know advanced stats hate Wiggins. Advanced stats hate most young players, as they have holes in their games like I said. Do you also hate guys like Devin Booker too?

Notice how I said Wiggins is one of the best YOUNG players in the game. Not best players in the game, but one of the best young players in the game.

I also don’t think you know what volume scoring is. A volume scorer is someone who scores a lot of points, but takes a lot of shots to do so and isn’t efficient. Now explain to me how 23.6 PPG on 45.2% and 35.6% from 3 is not efficient. Add in Wiggins being 22 years old and playing on a team with awful spacing, as well as being incredibly durable, missing 1 game in 3 years and leading the NBA in minutes last year, and that clearly makes him one of the best young players in the league, even if he doesn’t add anything else.

I advise you to maybe actually watch the games before you come on here to argue.

Well people who actually watch all of Wolves game tell me otherwise so Im going to believe them instead of you.
And I watch all the Wolves games too. But sure, it makes sense to randomly take one stranger’s opinion on the internet over another one's for no reason  ::)
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
Anyone who said Wiggins isn’t one of the best young players in the league, please watch the Wolves vs Thunder game that just happened and get back to me.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 09:42:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Wiggins hit a game-winner earlier in his career.

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I feel like Wiggins and Brown are on the same trajectory. 2 freak athletes who can't do much else but score.

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
Wiggins hit a game-winner earlier in his career.
Not only the game winner, but the putback dunk and spin layup. All in the last 2 minutes. Wiggins won that game for the wolves.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Embiid  - Superstar, if healthy (IMO 50% to stay healthy)
Wiggins - Healthy, may become a superstar (IMO 33% to become Superstar)

I am sure that everyone has their own %s.
Which player/contract would you rather have?
neither, I don't like either contract

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I feel like Wiggins and Brown are on the same trajectory. 2 freak athletes who can't do much else but score.
Are you talking about Jaylen Brown? Scoring isn't even his best asset. His defensive versatility is still the most important thing he brings to the game.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Nope. Wiggins has proven so far that he's a better scorer, and Brown is a better defender.

But they are both freak athletes.

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What?? Jaylen is already a better defender and rebounder. Wiggins is definitely the better volume scorer (at this stage - he is basically 2 years older than JB)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Those poor timberwolves... Wiggins is literally walking around on D.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.