Author Topic: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"  (Read 18403 times)

Re: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Thomas went to play with the Team that went to the finals last year and LeBron James and he's complaining. Look where some players end up when they get traded. Danny traded him to a very favorable situation and if LeBron leaves next year The Cavs will back up Thomas' Brinks' truck for him. If LeBron stays they will probably back up the truck as well. Thomas has a better chance at a max contract now and a very good chance at the NBA finals in a contract year. I know Isaiah feels burnt but he's in a very good situation and Danny traded him into that.

Maybe because to these players it's about more than that?   Kyrie just played on a team that went to the Finals with Lebron James and wanted out.   Kyrie apparently has placed his desire to lead a team to the Finals above just getting there.  Maybe Thomas felt the same way, thought he had that path in front of him, and then saw it snatched away?

It's clear from his comments that Thomas recognizes the competitive advantages he'll get from being on Lebron's team.   That doesn't mean he shouldn't be upset about the sudden change in his life.   These guys are humans, not robots.   He'd established a lot of connections to Boston.  Got married and set up a home for his family.   Suddenly, on short notice, he had to move his family.   If you were suddenly traded to some other company a few states away, despite whatever benefits you might accrue from that, you might find that to be a little upsetting in some respects.

You're right of course. I'm sad to see that old lovable team go. Danny has to act in unemotional why and do what is right for The Team. It is very sad to see IT go. It was a heart break to see PP and KG go. But Danny has been making the hard choices.

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I hear a lot of players saying things like "how'd they do you like dat" etc. However, if they were the GM, would they make that trade? I'm betting every player with a sound mind says yes.

Danny did his job. So did IT.

Grudges are stupid.

Let it go IT. Still love ya.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
The little guy needs to move on and stop rehashing all this. This isn't a good look for him at all. I like IT as a player but he needs to stop acting like he was some  untouchable celtic great with mutiple rings. You were the top dog on a cute little team that no one outside of Boston took seriously. Its a business at the end of the day.

« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Im still not convinced even with IT fully heathy Danny doesn't blink and do the trade anyway . I would have .  If Im paying somebody , im going with the upgrade .   IT very well may have had to,have chose to leave on his own to get the big pay day from another team. ,like AB  .   Im not sure Danny was going to offer enough to for IT to stay .  DA not hesitating to trade and offer big assets kinda points to DA s real thoughts on retaining Thomas in any scenario .   A trade might have been waiting in IT s future no matter what.

He might have, but I think it would have been a mistake.  Under those circumstances, I think upgrading via another star is the way to go.

I still wish we could have done the Paul George trade.  We'd be looking at a core of:

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
George / Brown
IT

Plus we'd have both the BRK and LAL picks.  I think that's the team that could have brought down Golden State in a year or two.
what was the trade proposal that would have landed us Paul George where we still had all of Tatum, Brown, Brooklyn and Laker picks?   I don't recall seeing a deal where at least one of them wasn't included as a piece.  (not that I would give up any of them in a 1-year rental)

The rumor was Smart + Crowder + multiple non-BRK/LAL picks going to Indy. Danny wouldn't give a firm commitment until we acquired Hayward however. We probably would have had to send out AB to a third team for salary matching purposes.

I'm not giving all that up for a 1 year rental of George, after he openly expressed his desire o sign with LA. 

We essentially got Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Kyrie for Bradley, Crowder, Zizic and the 2018 Brooklyn 1st.  I'll take that every day over the proposed George rental trade.  I like George more than either Hayward or Kyrie, but its too much to give up for one ear of George.

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
This gets me: 5th in MVP voting is not an accolade. It just means the league office put him on the ballot, and that he then garnered the fewest MVP votes of the 5 candidates. Since he's the only star on a winning and fairly large market team (top 5?), no surprise.

That's...not how MVP voting works.

Well I sit corrected.

The point is valid, however. Yes, 5th, but a very, very distant 5th. To say he was 5th in voting suggests he's on the level of legit candidates to win the thing, which turns out wasn't the case. Zero first or second place votes, meaning nobody (out of just over 100) thought he was MVP, or runner up, and a mere handful of 3rd place votes. It's not like he was edged out in a close contest. Less than half of the voters gave him any votes at all.  He just isn't in the MVP league.

TP - hope it didn't come off too snarky.

And I agree, he had a great year but was far behind the leaders. Of course, 5th place usually is. I've always loved the "he's a Top-X MVP candidate/player/scorer/whatever" framing where X is the place he's actually in. IT was technically a top 5 MVP votegetter, but more accurately was 5th place.

This is simple - Boston finished with the top seed in the East, and Isaiah was their lone All-Star. 

Best player on best team generally puts you in the MVP discussion by default - see Derrick Rose when he got his MVP award in a season where he (IMHO) others were more deserving.

MVP award is a popularity contest, that's all it is the majority of the time.  Rarely does it have anything to do with actually gauging a player's value to his team because if it did, then honestly Kawhi or Lebron would have won the award the list 2-3 years    Take Lebron off the Cavs and they might not even make he playoffs.  Take Kawhi off the Spurs and they'd struggle too. 

To be fair, Isaiah was probably on of the few guys recently so actually had a legitimate argument for MVP.  He won Boston a lot of games with his 4th quarter heroics, and his leadership and play was IMHO the biggest reason why Boston finished with the 1st seed and made the ECF.  If we didn't have Thomas, we probably would have finished in the 4-6 range at best and probably don't get past the second round.   

BUT I doubt the story would have been very different if we had Kyrie instead.  They are two very similar players, and Kyrie is known for his elite scoring ability as well as his ability to close out games, just like Isaiah is.  If the two players switched teams last year, it's likely Kyrie would be on the top 5 MVP list instead of Isaiah.  But being the 2nd best player in a team that is as deep as Cleveland makes it hard to crack the MVP top 10, that's just the way it is.

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We essentially got Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Kyrie for Bradley, Crowder, Zizic and the 2018 Brooklyn 1st.  I'll take that every day over the proposed George rental trade.  I like George more than either Hayward or Kyrie, but its too much to give up for one ear of George.

Hayward and Baynes were free agents. We didn't get them as a result of any trades, "essentially" or otherwise.

So, it's Kyrie + Morris + Smart + non-lotto picks on one side, or IT + George + BRK pick + whatever we get for AB on the other.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:25:36 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Hayward and Baynes were free agents. We didn't get them as a result of any trades, "essentially" or otherwise.

So, it's Kyrie + Morris + Smart + non-lotto picks on one side, or IT + George + BRK pick + whatever we get for AB on the other.

Needed to clear cap space to land Hayward.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Paul George is making $19.5M

Smart and Crowder add up to $11.3M.  As you said, we also would have had to move Avery Bradley to a third team willing to take on his $8.8M.  That would have put our total outgoing salary at $20.4M - allowing us to take Paul George back while saving about $900k

Problem.  Is that saving enough to create the space we WOULD have needed to sign Hayward? 

Lets say it isn't.  We no longer have Avery Bradley, which mean means the Detroit trade doesn't happen.  We also no longer have Smart or Crowder, so who do we have who would be of any interest to other teams, who we could potentially trade out to clear the cap space to sign Hayward?  Probably nobody, so there's an option that the signing doesn't happen and we lose out on Hayward.  Then we also don't have Crowder, which means the Kyrie trade never happens.    So instead of having Kyrie for 2 years and Hayward for 4-5 years, we'd have Paul George for a one year rental, and Isaiah (on an expiring contract) potentially sitting on the IR list until January.

Now we can't start Smart because he went out in the George trade, we can't start Isaiah because he's out for half the season, we can't start Bradley or Crowder as they are both gone.  So what do we do at PG?  Do we start Rozier and leave ourselves with no backup PG?  That's pretty weak.  Do we start Paul George at PG, then Brown and Tatum and SG and SF, putting our faith in two 19/20 year olds to carry our starting 5? 

Also who do we start at PF, since we would not have done the Detroit trade, so we would not have Morris on the roster.  Would we start Theis at PF, having  Brown/Tatum/Theis making up 60% of our starting 5? Or do we start Baynes at centre, Horford at PF = and have Theis as our only big off the bench?  Who would come off the bench at PG/SG/SF then? 

The answers to all of these questions are messy.

Now less say will give ALL this up and sacrifice the season to get George, and at the end of the season he walks.  Now IT wants his $30M, so you have to give him that or else he walks - so you now have about $60m (two thirds of the cap) tied up in a 29 year old 5'10" PG coming off a hip injury, and a 32 year old underized declining big who can't create his own offense.  There Given we'd have another $10m or so invested in Brown and Tatum, we would not have enough cap space left to chase another max free agent that next year, so where are we left?

Because that roster now makes us a weak 7-8 seed at best, so all of our hope would hinge on that 2018 Brooklyn pick, which (given the current state of the east) could easily fall outside of the top 5. 

As opposed to now - we have a 25 year old top-5 PG locked in for two years at a pretty bargain salary, and if he signs an extension (which has a high probability, as he seems to love it here) we have that locked in for the next 5-6 years.  Plus a 27 year old Gordon Hayward locked in for the next 4 years.  Plus a solid Al Horford locked in for the nex2-3 years.  Plus Brown and Tatum.  Those 5 guys alone give us a strong core to allow sustained deep playoff runs in the east for the next 4 years.

So, unless we are in a magical fairy world where all unexpected things go well and George freakishly decides to stay here, and IT agrees to sign for less (or recovers perfect and goes back to scoring 30 a game) - I don't see how trading for Paul George would have put us in a better spot.   

« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2017, 06:24:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Smart and Crowder add up to $11.3M.  As you said, we also would have had to move Avery Bradley to a third team willing to take on his $8.8M.  That would have put our total outgoing salary at $20.4M - allowing us to take Paul George back while saving about $900k

Problem.  Is that saving enough to create the space we WOULD have needed to sign Hayward? 

Lets say it isn't.  We no longer have Avery Bradley, which mean means the Detroit trade doesn't happen.  We also no longer have Smart or Crowder, so who do we have who would be of any interest to other teams, who we could potentially trade out to clear the cap space to sign Hayward?  Probably nobody, so there's an option that the signing doesn't happen and we lose out on Hayward.  Then we also don't have Crowder, which means the Kyrie trade never happens.    So instead of having Kyrie for 2 years and Hayward for 4-5 years, we'd have Paul George for a one year rental, and Isaiah (on an expiring contract) potentially sitting on the IR list until January.

Now we can't start Smart because he went out in the George trade, we can't start Isaiah because he's out for half the season, we can't start Bradley or Crowder as they are both gone.  So what do we do at PG?  Do we start Rozier and leave ourselves with no backup PG?  That's pretty weak.  Do we start Paul George at PG, then Brown and Tatum and SG and SF, putting our faith in two 19/20 year olds to carry our starting 5? 

Also who do we start at PF, since we would not have done the Detroit trade, so we would not have Morris on the roster.  Would we start Theis at PF, having  Brown/Tatum/Theis making up 60% of our starting 5? Or do we start Baynes at centre, Horford at PF = and have Theis as our only big off the bench?  Who would come off the bench at PG/SG/SF then? 

Now less say will give ALL this up and sacrifice the season to get George, and at the end of the season he walks.  Now IT wants his $30M, so you have to give him that or else he walks - so you now have about $60m (two thirds of the cap) tied up in a 29 year old 5'10" PG coming off a hip injury, and a 32 year old underized declining big who can't create his own offense.  There Given we'd have another $10m or so invested in Brown and Tatum, we would not have enough cap space left to chase another max free agent that next year, so where are we left?

Because that roster now makes us a weak 7-8 seed at best, so all of our hope would hinge on that 2018 Brooklyn pick, which (given the current state of the east) could easily fall outside of the top 5. 

As opposed to now - we have a 25 year old top-5 PG locked in for two years at a pretty bargain salary, and if he signs an extension (which has a high probability, as he seems to love it here) we have that locked in for the next 5-6 years.  Plus a 27 year old Gordon Hayward locked in for the next 4 years.  Plus a solid Al Horford locked in for the nex2-3 years.  Plus Brown and Tatum.  Those 5 guys alone give us a strong core to allow sustained deep playoff runs in the east for the next 4 years.

So, unless we are in a magical fairy world where all unexpected things go well and George freakishly decides to stay here, and IT agrees to sign for less (or recovers perfect and goes back to scoring 30 a game) - I don't see how trading for Paul George would have put us in a better spot.

You "don't see it" because you're purposefully leaving Hayward out of the equation.

IT + Hayward + PG13 + Horford + Tatum + Brown + BRK pick + LAL pick is better than we have now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

You "don't see it" because you're purposefully leaving Hayward out of the equation.

IT + Hayward + PG13 + Horford + Tatum + Brown + BRK pick + LAL pick is better than we have now.

The Pacers got the deal done before we even got Hayward.

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The Pacers got the deal done before we even got Hayward.

Hayward actually agreed before the Pacers deal was made official. Indy was willing to wait on the trade. They weren't willing to wait on a commitment from Danny. They wanted a firm yes, and Danny would only give a maybe.

« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2017, 07:16:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hayward actually agreed before the Pacers deal was made official. Indy was willing to wait on the trade. They weren't willing to wait on a commitment from Danny. They wanted a firm yes, and Danny would only give a maybe.

Not trying to jump in an argument here, but I thought George was traded on 6/30, while Hayward definitely agreed to sign with the Cs on 7/4. Are you saying that Indy could have pulled out of the deal they already agreed to?

I don't disagree with you that there was likely someway, somehow we could have made outgoing salaries work in a George deal and also sign Hayward, but it would have been pretty destructive to our team. Also, having IT injured on an expiring deal and George who seemed lukewarm about going anywhere but LA on an expiring deal could have really blown up in our faces.

« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Not trying to jump in an argument here, but I thought George was traded on 6/30, while Hayward definitely agreed to sign with the Cs on 7/4. Are you saying that Indy could have pulled out of the deal they already agreed to?

I don't disagree with you that there was likely someway, somehow we could have made outgoing salaries work in a George deal and also sign Hayward, but it would have been pretty destructive to our team. Also, having IT injured on an expiring deal and George who seemed lukewarm about going anywhere but LA on an expiring deal could have really blown up in our faces.
I thought that Indy was just impatient. The Haywards signing was some days after the trade. They wanted to get the deal done soon and to send PG13  westward. Kyrie's case may motivate other GMS in the future to remain calm, especially when you are dealing the most talented player in franchise history, as is the case with PG.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
From this point of view, we don't like how IT4 reacts now, but on the other hand we love players when they try to get close to the city, fans, team and all that. That's what he just did, whatever the reason was. So, let him grieve, time will pass, wounds will be healed for him and we'll have manny other nice things to discuss and forget all about IT-saga. After all, it was only his 2 and a half seasons in green. What is that comparing to KG's 6, or Pierce's 15??!!

« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
From this point of view, we don't like how IT4 reacts now, but on the other hand we love players when they try to get close to the city, fans, team and all that. That's what he just did, whatever the reason was. So, let him grieve, time will pass, wounds will be healed for him and we'll have manny other nice things to discuss and forget all about IT-saga. After all, it was only his 2 and a half seasons in green. What is that comparing to KG's 6, or Pierce's 15??!!
I was totally with you until you implied that 2.5 seasons (and a ECF appearance) is not memorable enough.