Author Topic: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"  (Read 18393 times)

Re: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:42 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Not saying he doesn't have the right to be upset, just saying that he seems to be one of the only pro players out there who can't seem to remain professional about the whole situation.  The last time I saw a player throw hissy fits of this magnitude was Ray Allen, who in hindsight seems to be a bit of a head case.

Seriously, if you look at some of the things Thomas has said via tweeters and the like since the trade...he really does come across as a bit of a head case himself.

A strong man is candid about his emotions and his mental stability is questioned. Typical.

I'd take a team of 15 similar "head cases".

Six year old children are also 'candid' about their emotions.  IT isn't mentally unstable, obviously, but his incessant comments about his contract and salary expectations revealed a certain degree of emotional immaturity.  His back-and-forth comments about DA and the Celtics also reflect this. 

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
IT is the man, and he will forever have my respect.

That said, this is a trade a smart GM makes every time. I truthfully Don understand how people don't like this trade.

Kyrie is a better player than IT, and 90% of the time in the NBA, the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

I just hope in 7 months people own up to hating this trade.

You can't please everyone, unfortunately. 

There will always be people who don't like certain players or trades, even ones that are seen almost universally as being positive ones. 

Nothing wrong with that, just the unique nature of the human!

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2017, 01:18:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Without Danny Ainge there's a solid chance Isaiah never becomes a starting point guard in the NBA again. Without Ainge he probably doesnt become an All Star again. The binks truck is arguably never bringing a max contract for IT without the Celtics foresight.
Jae Crowder probably doesnt sign a $6/7 million a year deal unless Danny Ainge makes him a key piece of the Rondo trade.

Danny Ainge made a tough business decision that he felt was in the best interest of his beloved Celtics.
Isaiah is understandably emotionally hurt by the events.

A potentially huge positive expectation opportunity came up and Danny Ainge took it.

And personally, I'm glad he did.

Would Ainge have been in the same position, and the Celtics organization at large, were it not for IT? Serious question, not intending to be inflammatory here.

No offense taken all all mate.
I guess the answer is that Ainge and IT have helped each other.
Ainge's (and Brad's) foresight has helped Isaiah in the form of at least $50 million dollars for IT's famiy's future and IT's play has conversely given us arguably a top 3/5 player in the NBA in the 25 years or younger category.

He also traded him to a team that will be a true championship contender and great situation.

Cuts both ways but IT is hamming this one up with emotions. He likes having another motivator and that's what I think he's doing.
Although i think it's ridiculous for IT to suggest Danny shouldn't trade him after 'what he's been through'. That personal stuff is out of Ainge's control and should be separated from IT's criticism IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29:27 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Without Danny Ainge there's a solid chance Isaiah never becomes a starting point guard in the NBA again. Without Ainge he probably doesnt become an All Star again. The binks truck is arguably never bringing a max contract for IT without the Celtics foresight.
Jae Crowder probably doesnt sign a $6/7 million a year deal unless Danny Ainge makes him a key piece of the Rondo trade.

Danny Ainge made a tough business decision that he felt was in the best interest of his beloved Celtics.
Isaiah is understandably emotionally hurt by the events.

A potentially huge positive expectation opportunity came up and Danny Ainge took it.

And personally, I'm glad he did.

Would Ainge have been in the same position, and the Celtics organization at large, were it not for IT? Serious question, not intending to be inflammatory here.

No offense taken all all mate.
I guess the answer is that Ainge and IT have helped each other.
Ainge's (and Brad's) foresight has helped Isaiah in the form of at least $50 million dollars for IT's famiy's future and IT's play has conversely given us arguably a top 3/5 player in the NBA in the 25 years or younger category.

He also traded him to a team that will be a true championship contender and great situation.

Cuts both ways but IT is hamming this one up with emotions. He likes having another motivator and that's what I think he's doing.
Although i think it's ridiculous for IT to suggest Danny shouldn't trade him after 'what he's been through'. That personal stuff is out of Ainge's control and should be separated from IT's criticism IMO.

I rarely give them out, but this is TP worthy.

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2017, 01:35:01 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
IT is the man, and he will forever have my respect.

That said, this is a trade a smart GM makes every time. I truthfully Don understand how people don't like this trade.

Kyrie is a better player than IT, and 90% of the time in the NBA, the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

I just hope in 7 months people own up to hating this trade.

They don't like this trade because of the loyalty IT4 gave to the Celtics and how he changed their culture. They also did not liked this trade because it costed them BKN 2018.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2017, 01:42:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So I'm guessing that folks that are ok with Thomas airing his grievances will also have no problem if Wings went out and said, "Yeah, I traded his butt because he was injured wand wanted too much money"?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
So I'm guessing that folks that are ok with Thomas airing his grievances will also have no problem if Wings went out and said, "Yeah, I traded his butt because he was injured and wanted too much money"?
I'm good with that, let them be 100% honest if we are taking this (I-am-hurt) road. I mean, I love IT but he really doesn't ever have to speak with DA again for us to win a championship.
Did he write about that part where Danny took him as an unwanted 3rd child from the Suns and put him in the position to be the 1st violin in the orchestra, after which he became an Allstar and an all NBA performer? DA also traded him to a team that has a greater chance to give him desired max contract, and, by the majorities opinion, a chip. Did I miss that or is he just picking the parts of the story that help his narrative?

Then IT naturally talks about his great new team and amazing new, single coverage, basketball opportunities. He is so happy with his new squad, it almost feels like a Hans Christian Andersen story.

I will side with our team, not 1 ex-player.
Danny's response - calm, truthful, perfect.

With that said, let's kick their ass starting Tuesday.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:47:59 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2017, 04:48:31 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
IT has a point, but I think he's mistaken about the whole situation.
I believe the main reason to be upset is the owners not willing to pay IT full max and go into big luxury tax.
Danny make assumption about this that would have to be addressed "sooner or later" in a recent interview.
Anyway even if you understand Danny, that doesn't mean you don't have the right to get mad at him. After all IT put himself after the team.
What I'm worried about is, any star player on a Celtics right now and the future will think twice about sacrificing himself for the sake of the franchise.
That's heart and soul lost (IT is right about that).

Anyway, what is done is done. There are pros and cons. Right now the fans are the winner, because this team will look like a beast sooner than later.

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I ran into IT in vegas when coming out of the Conor/Mayweather fight and I screamed "IT!! BOSTON LOVES U!".  This was like few days after the word came out that he got traded and he genuinely looked like he had sadness in his eyes. 

haha, with that said, Danny traded for IT and let him grow and become a star in Boston for him to even dream about brink trucks.  Danny traded him to the Cavs, who are favorites to go to the finals so it's not like he got screwed and traded to the bulls.  So, if Danny wasn't willing to give IT the max next year and IT left the celtics for another team, wouldn't that just be business as well?  Just as IT has the right to look out for himself and try to secure a big contract, Danny has the right to do his job and look out for the team's cap and make business decisions.  According to IT, since he gave his all to the team, Danny shouldn't have traded him.  But what if IT suffered a more serious injury like tearing his ACL or his achillies, then just because IT gave his all to the team when he was healthy, does that mean Danny should be loyal and keep him on the celtics? 

I loved IT on the floor, but honestly, there were a few times during his time in Boston that turned me off.  I would hate how he would call out the coach or teammates to the media.  This last interview bothers me as well.  Of course he can be emotional and all, but to say things like, "I may never speak to Danny again," just makes him look unprofessional.  It's really weird timing as well, since on his player's tribune article, he seemed a lot less bitter towards Danny. 

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Im still not convinced even with IT fully heathy Danny doesn't blink and do the trade anyway . I would have .  If Im paying somebody , im going with the upgrade .   IT very well may have had to,have chose to leave on his own to get the big pay day from another team. ,like AB  .   Im not sure Danny was going to offer enough to for IT to stay .  DA not hesitating to trade and offer big assets kinda points to DA s real thoughts on retaining Thomas in any scenario .   A trade might have been waiting in IT s future no matter what.   

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Its a business..get over it!! Ainge had a chance to get a top 10 player and he did..plus Thomas is hurt and wanted a big contract
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Im still not convinced even with IT fully heathy Danny doesn't blink and do the trade anyway . I would have .  If Im paying somebody , im going with the upgrade .   IT very well may have had to,have chose to leave on his own to get the big pay day from another team. ,like AB  .   Im not sure Danny was going to offer enough to for IT to stay .  DA not hesitating to trade and offer big assets kinda points to DA s real thoughts on retaining Thomas in any scenario .   A trade might have been waiting in IT s future no matter what.
I think if IT was fully healthy, the deal would've looked different. Maybe Ainge gets away with send out the Celtics and/or Memphis pick(s) instead of the Nets pick. Otherwise, I agree. Danny still does a version of the deal because he knew paying IT max money long term was a bad idea but also knew he was earning it with his current play.

I feel for IT. I love the guy and I think it makes perfect sense if he never wants to talk to Ainge again. I also think his attitude toward Boston, post-trade, has showed a ton of class and maturity.

But I also don't fault Ainge a second for doing what's right for the team (as he sees it). Nor would I have faulted IT if he left Boston next summer for a bigger contract somewhere else, if that had happened. Tough situation all around but I don't fault anyone.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He might have, but I think it would have been a mistake.  Under those circumstances, I think upgrading via another star is the way to go.

I still wish we could have done the Paul George trade.  We'd be looking at a core of:

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
George / Brown
IT

Plus we'd have both the BRK and LAL picks.  I think that's the team that could have brought down Golden State in a year or two.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Maybe Thomas shouldn't have been so vocal about wanting a max and having the brinks truck show up.  Pretty good way to drive yourself out of town

Danny will trade anybody, regardless of whether they're vocal or quiet, a team leader or a cancer, a veteran or a rookie.  Avery Bradley never talked about his contract, and he was traded without any hesitation.
Sure, but Thomas made it a lot easier by making it known he only wanted a max contract and expected to be paid or he would walk. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe Thomas shouldn't have been so vocal about wanting a max and having the brinks truck show up.  Pretty good way to drive yourself out of town

Danny will trade anybody, regardless of whether they're vocal or quiet, a team leader or a cancer, a veteran or a rookie.  Avery Bradley never talked about his contract, and he was traded without any hesitation.
Sure, but Thomas made it a lot easier by making it known he only wanted a max contract and expected to be paid or he would walk.

I don't recall the "or he would walk" part, although maybe that was implied.  I just think IT's statements were completely irrelevant, except perhaps as PR.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes