Author Topic: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"  (Read 18401 times)

Re: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
IT is still butt hurt and he's on a team that can go to the Finals and he's a FA. It's not like he won 2 titles in Boston. It only became possible when Irving wanted out and then the negotiations dragged out because the Cavs were shopping him around. IT acts like he is Bron and all moves needed to be run through him first. I think there were only a handful of guys Ainge would've traded him for and Irving was in that handful.

Get healthy IT and then get your money.

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Either way, Celtics players from now on will think twice before shouting 'roll out the brink trucks' whenever anyone asks them about a new contract.

Agree. It's not a professional move to discuss your salary with the media.

IT definitely had a chip on his shoulder, and for good reason.

Fans will never feel sympathetic for millionaires who aren't happy with how much money they make. In this regard, he should be able to better identify his target audience.

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Isaiah Thomas better be careful lol.

If he ever comes back to BOS, Danny Ainge won't think twice about trading him to SAC. But seriously.... Thomas cannot complain about the trade... Bradley got sent over to the freaking Pistons for Gods sake! Lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why wouldn't he be upset with Danny? He massively outperformed his contract, played at an All-NBA level, and played through physical and emotional pain while aggravating an injury that will likely cost him many millions of dollars.  He was the embodiment of a leader and a Celtic, and never complained even though the training staff possibly / probably misdiagnosed his injury. He was the team's head recruiter and a face of the franchise to be proud of.

Despite that, neither he nor his agent were even given a heads up that he was being shopped.

Who wouldn't be salty in that situation? Despite being treated like a damaged "asset", rather than a human being, he still has expressed love for the city, fans and teammates.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
While rightfully so IT had his supporters here, he's not what was good for this team.  Glad he's gone but enjoyed watching him play.

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Either way, Celtics players from now on will think twice before shouting 'roll out the brink trucks' whenever anyone asks them about a new contract.

It's not like that has any relevance to whether will trade a player, though. AB and Jae were both traded despite never complaining about their bargain contracts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Why wouldn't he be upset with Danny? He massively outperformed his contract, played at an All-NBA level, and played through physical and emotional pain while aggravating an injury that will likely cost him many millions of dollars.  He was the embodiment of a leader and a Celtic, and never complained even though the training staff possibly / probably misdiagnosed his injury. He was the team's head recruiter and a face of the franchise to be proud of.

Despite that, neither he nor his agent were even given a heads up that he was being shopped.

Who wouldn't be salty in that situation? Despite being treated like a damaged "asset", rather than a human being, he still has expressed love for the city, fans and teammates.

Very well said.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Without Danny Ainge there's a solid chance Isaiah never becomes a starting point guard in the NBA again. Without Ainge he probably doesnt become an All Star again. The binks truck is arguably never bringing a max contract for IT without the Celtics foresight.
Jae Crowder probably doesnt sign a $6/7 million a year deal unless Danny Ainge makes him a key piece of the Rondo trade.

Danny Ainge made a tough business decision that he felt was in the best interest of his beloved Celtics.
Isaiah is understandably emotionally hurt by the events.

A potentially huge positive expectation opportunity came up and Danny Ainge took it.

And personally, I'm glad he did.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Without Danny Ainge there's a solid chance Isaiah never becomes a starting point guard in the NBA again. Without Ainge he probably doesnt become an All Star again. The binks truck is arguably never bringing a max contract for IT without the Celtics foresight.
Jae Crowder probably doesnt sign a $6/7 million a year deal unless Danny Ainge makes him a key piece of the Rondo trade.

Danny Ainge made a tough business decision that he felt was in the best interest of his beloved Celtics.
Isaiah is understandably emotionally hurt by the events.

A potentially huge positive expectation opportunity came up and Danny Ainge took it.

And personally, I'm glad he did.

Would Ainge have been in the same position, and the Celtics organization at large, were it not for IT? Serious question, not intending to be inflammatory here. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

All that is true but IT needs to grow up a bit. He is in a league where trades are part of the scenery and anyone can be traded (Shaq, Pierce, Garnett, etc.). Ainge has to do his job. He has no obligation to tell IT what he is doing and in fact, should NOT tip his hand.

This is a business, not a 4H club.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:32:45 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny s job is to make the team better ......# 1.  and he is the man that has to make tuff choices . First loyalty is to the Club and owners . 

IT is no Kobe .   

IT is no more deserving than Pierce or KG .....who both got traded after hanging a banner.

Bad luck for IT to get hurt and Irving choosing to leave atnthe exact sam time.

I d done exactly what Danny did .     

If i was the owner ,  I d been mad if he did not try and get Irving .

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

All that is true but IT needs to grow up a bit. He is in a league where trades are part of the scenery and anyone can be traded (Shaq, Pierce, Garnett, etc.). Ainge has to do his job. He has no obligation to tell IT what he is doing and in fact, should NOT tip his hand.

This is a business, not a 4H club.

This.

Totally understood the feelings behind it, but Danny isn't here for the feelings, he's here to make a winning roster, and he made a move in doing so.

If anything, I don't know why IT is surprised. This is, after all, a guy who traded PAUL PIERCE and KEVIN GARNETT. Anybody on the Celtics roster should have known by now that if Danny seems it fit, he will trade ANYONE.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Danny did the best thing for the Celtics.

One thing I have not heard mentioned is the relationship between IT and Danny before the trade. Didn't Ainge kinda convince IT that IT had been his guy for a long time, and that he saw IT becoming a legend in Boston. If my memory is correct then that may be another dimension to IT's reaction to the trade.

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
If he hadn't been traded, he would've become a free agent next year, and if Ainge didn't offer him the max, he would've taken it from another team, and in that event we wouldn't be hearing that Ainge refuses to talk to Isaiah again.

That's kind of my mindset about IT.  Hated losing him after the heart and soul he showed this last year, but if he wasn't injured and was playing tonight in his fourth preseason game, then the best thing that would have happened is that we'd get another year...and he'd likely be gone to another team for the max, which he likely wouldn't have gotten in Boston.

So then he would be the one making the decision to leave...should Danny then not speak to him ever again?

Danny did his job...as GM, it is his responsibility to put the team above everything else.

IT did his job...as a player, it is his responsibility to be the best he can be for whatever team signs the paycheck.

It's just unfortunate that with both people doing their job, that it was the fork in the road that we call IT's injury that pushed them in opposite directions.

I wish him the best, glad he doesn't hold it against Celtic fans, and hope he gets that paycheck he deserves....whoever signs it.

Rak

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don’t think Isaiah needs to grow up.  The only thing that may make him seem immature is that he is being honest and saying how he really feels as opposed to giving the same generic statements that most players give.  He could have just said “it’s a business and things like this happen.”  Most of the time the people who say that stuff don’t mean it.  So he’s immature because he’s honest.

Also, a few people mentioned that he should be happy because he’s still rich.  Being rich has nothing to do with it.  Isaiah wanted to be loved like Brady and Ortiz.  He was at a Patriots practice right before he was traded.  He loved Boston.  I’m sure he feels like the woman of his dreams just left him.  I doubt that he is thinking primarily of money.  He is hurt because he was dumped by the team he loved in the city he loved.  And then he had the nerve to be honest about it.