Author Topic: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"  (Read 18397 times)

Re: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm obviously in IT's corner here.  The trade probably makes us better long-term, but doesn't change that fact.  Imo, this comment reflects the chip on IT's shoulder that has made him a great player.  Wish the very best for him, hope to see him play in the Finals. 

The unfortunate part, from a selfish standpoint, is that I'm certain I won't warm up to Kyrie in the same way.  We were lucky to have IT in Boston.  I wish Ainge had traded in his chips for another guy that represented what Boston is all about. 

I've always preferred to root for a team that may fall just short, but has an identity I can really appreciate and get behind.  I don't see that with this team yet.  But I sincerely hope a couple of our current guys wear their hard hats to work.

Can I ask what other sports teams you're a fan of? Assuming that you're a Boston sports fans, the city has become one of the winning-est cities in the four major sports so it's a bit easier to say "I'd rather root for a team that just falls short as long as they represent some imaginary standard that I've made up" when you have the city of champions. Prior to the Cavs winning last season - Cleveland's first sports title in 52 years - I'm sure they'd trade in those years where Lebron's teams won the regular season record, but got knocked out in the playoffs for a title for any of their sports teams.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Everyone was a winner in the Kyrie-IT trade, except for IT.

Boston got a top tier, young scorer who is healthy, locked up, proven to be able to produce in the finals, and eager to play for Brad Stevens.

Cleveland got a top tier draft pick in a loaded draft plus a great wing defender on a cheap deal, and a big man prospect for a guy who wanted to leave. The Nets pick and Zizic are excellent pieces to key their rebuild after Lebron leaves next summer. Not to mention they also got an all-star PG, but hobbled and due a new contract. Still, IT could help them hang another banner this spring, or be a good piece in a trade for more picks/prospects.

IT however, lost his chance at a big pay day after the best season of his life, and one of the best individual seasons by any Celtics player in the modern era. He lost out big time on some serious cash, and he may never get the chance to recover that money.

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
After all, Thomas was the one who implied that if Boston doesn't give him a max contract, he'd have to find it somewhere else because he needed to do what was best for his family.

And there would've been a Player's Tribune article from him with that exact explanation, apologizing to Boston fans, etc. He would've moved on with no regrets. I'm pretty sick of Isaiah's hypocritical emotional bull**** at this point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:05:41 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Boston got a top tier, young scorer who is healthy, locked up, proven to be able to produce in the finals, and eager to play for Brad Stevens.

Cleveland got a top tier draft pick in a loaded draft plus a great wing defender on a cheap deal, and a big man prospect for a guy who wanted to leave. The Nets pick and Zizic are excellent pieces to key their rebuild after Lebron leaves next summer. Not to mention they also got an all-star PG, but hobbled and due a new contract. Still, IT could help them hang another banner this spring, or be a good piece in a trade for more picks/prospects.

IT however, lost his chance at a big pay day after the best season of his life, and one of the best individual seasons by any Celtics player in the modern era. He lost out big time on some serious cash, and he may never get the chance to recover that money.

Would that be different if the C's didn't trade him? He would still be injured and missing substantial time. Danny would likely still be hesitant to give him a max payday.

We just watched a guy who's played 31 games out of a possible 246 games sign a max deal. IT can still get paid if he makes it onto the court and shows enough.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
In a nut shell:
I appreciate all Thomas gave to the team.  Love his effort and his game.  His recruiting guys was great.  I hope he gets healthy and makes a lot of money in his career.
His comments about wanting to be a max contract, not smart as he isn't one.  His injury is what it is, he never again be at the level he played last year or close.  In the playoffs a simple pick and switch exposed our defense to show you cannot have a guard that size playing minutes like that.  Granted IT works his butt off on defense but his size KILLED us on every simple play like that. 
Ainge, cold calculated killer Mormon sure but good-great move to improve team. 
I wish we still had Bradley and KO but you know what we improved moving them.

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Cleveland could end up loosers.  Zizic might not pan out, crowder is a solid sub on a cheap deal but limited.  IT is he comes back will probably leave.  Team isn't good enough Lebrun leaves.  Full rebuild with a chance at good draft pick

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Not for nothing, but why is IT still talking about Boston? I totally understand that he may be bitter about the whole situation, but he should move on and focus on Cleveland. It's almost as if he keeps looking over his shoulder, and hoping it was all a bad dream, so that he can come running back to Boston and wants nothing to do with Cleveland.

Because the national (and local) media keep asking him about it.

This is a great angle for the national NBA media, which is largely anti-Celtics.  They portray IT in the best possible light - playing through injury and personal heartbreak to lead a team with zero talent to the ECF - while simultaneously crapping on Danny Ainge, who they really hate, as being a cold-hearted Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. who kicks a man when he is down.

Of course, this is the same media that thought IT was only a slightly-above average player, a role player, who could be an offensive spark off the bench.  Danny thought differently, and IT wouldn't be where he is today without Ainge.  So the hypocrisy is very rich.

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
*eyeroll* Enough with the high school drama already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
*eyeroll* Enough with the high school drama already.

He's on the Cavs now. It's in the water over there.

Seriously though, it's Spreewell all over again with the silliness about what's best for the family. You make $6M per, and already 30M career, before age 30.  The family's fine.  Mine could use a break on tickets for the one game we are able to see most seasons.

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree about the drama.  If IT needs to blame DA then fine whatever.  But IT's injury seems like the real issue here.  If we had another player on the verge of requiring an overpay to keep him but then gets injured, do you think DA does the same thing?

If IT doesn't get injured, does anyone think DA still trades him?

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Either way, Celtics players from now on will think twice before shouting 'roll out the brink trucks' whenever anyone asks them about a new contract.

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I agree about the drama.  If IT needs to blame DA then fine whatever.  But IT's injury seems like the real issue here.  If we had another player on the verge of requiring an overpay to keep him but then gets injured, do you think DA does the same thing?

If IT doesn't get injured, does anyone think DA still trades him?

Yes, but we probably substitute the Nets pick for the C's 2018 pick (mid to late 20s).

I think Danny just believes Kyrie is a better talent and has a higher ceiling.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I don't blame IT for the emotion -- there is no doubt in my mind that the events of the last 6 months are all still swirling in his brain/body and he probably needs to lash out a bit.  It's also probable that he blames himself a little and to project this onto Danny is understandable. 

In retrospect -- knowing that he's been traded away from his the team he invested his heart into, perhaps he has some regret about the public way he spoke about the Brinks Truck.  If IT knew that his "public negotiations (Brinks Truck) were sending a clear message to C's ownership/management about his intentions (pay me MAX or I'm gone), maybe he decides instead to talk privately with Danny.   Maybe he tells Danny that he really wants to remain with the Celtics.  Maybe he says that he'll take a bargain contract/extension in return for a no-trade commitment.   

But... it turns out that his strategy backfired.  And maybe part of his anti-Danny sentiment ("Danny's mistake") is actually about regretting his own mistake.

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I feel for Isaiah Thomas, because without him, we don't get no ECF. We definitely don't get no Hayward. And Horford definitely doesn't even bother giving us a second hand look.

He built something here. Yes, he was flawed, but he if he wasn't, I don't think the trade would've ever been assembled.

And I do understand IT's perspective. Yes, he's coming off a slight bit childish, but take it from his POV. He came here, after being dismissed by SAC/PHX, and after finally settling in with the right coach, and a good system tailored to help him excel and score off the PnR's, then he gets traded to a team for another PG, whilst the whole fiasco with his hip injury is destroying any subtle chances of acquiring the max contract.

My only wish from IT during his tenture here, was his whole brinks truck comment... I mean... Why even say it so many times? We get it. You want a max. But the problem is, giving IT a max, would've been exorbitantly high, and affect our cap space. Plus, there were players just like IT, who were extremely underpaid, but other than Bradley, who briefly mentioned it, then fired his agent, is there anyone else on our roster who kept complaining about their contract?

Like everyone has said. It's a business.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
"Boston is going to be all love," Thomas told Sports Illustrated. "I might not ever talk to Danny again. That might not happen. I'll talk to everybody else. But what he did, knowing everything I went through, you don't do that, bro. That's not right. I'm not saying eff you. But every team in this situation comes out a year or two later and says, 'We made a mistake.' That's what they'll say, too."

Thomas' comment about what he "went through" was a reference to his efforts in helping the Celtics reach the Eastern Conference finals despite losing his sister to a car accident the day before the playoffs began, and then playing through a right hip injury that ultimately sidelined him.

Despite his efforts, he was traded to the Cavs in the Kyrie Irving blockbuster.

Ainge, the Celtics' president of basketball operations, has cited the uncertainty about Thomas' injury and his impending free agency next summer as two reasons for making the deal. But Thomas says he's still puzzled over it.

"None of it made any sense," Thomas said, according to SI. "It still doesn't make any sense. I'm still asking, 'What the hell happened?' It's a trade you make in NBA2K. It's not a trade you make in real life."

sleazy move by Danny......but also a cold hearted calculated move for the better

IT4 went from being Boston chosen son to nobody wanting him (between Celts and Cavs) the next

Its a modern day Cinderella story

How was it sleazy? Last I checked, IT makes a lot of money now, and will make mulit-generational wealth next year. In the meantime, he gets to pass to the best player in basketball (there might not be an easier assist in the league). When he's not doing that, he gets to be a high volume shooter and scorer. If its not a great fit, he gets to make the decision where he wants to play, as there will be many teams that need scoring.

IT's just being emotional. I get it, and I'm ok with it. He played well for us, but last year's team with him at the point hit their ceiling.

Kyrie has more potential than IT. Taking the contrarian stance in this instance seems goofy, at least in my eyes.

If I was Danny, I would make this trade 10/10 times. I don't get the sleazy take.