Author Topic: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"  (Read 18577 times)

Re: Thomas " I may never speak to Danny Again"
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I agree George is better.  Not sure they would have made the trade for Kyrie because again you would have four max contracts.  I obviously cannot prove this but I think this offseason Hayward was plan A and George was the back up plan if Hayward did not sign.  Once Hayward committed Celtics did not have interest in George.  They also did not have interest in George until they knew what Hayward was going to do.  Ainge was holding off Indiana until he knew what was up with Hayward.  Now if Hayward resigned with, say Utah and Indiana made the deal with OKC Danny would have been holding the bag that outcome would have been really bad.

« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I agree George is better.  Not sure they would have made the trade for Kyrie because again you would have four max contracts.

There is no way Kyrie is here if the George trade goes through.

My guess is the deal for George was Bradley + Crowder + BK 2018 + another 1st.  It is possible that the BK 2018 wasn't on the table and that is why Pritchard didn't reach out to them, but that offer trumps what they got from OKC.

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2017, 12:36:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I agree George is better.  Not sure they would have made the trade for Kyrie because again you would have four max contracts.

My guess is the deal for George was Bradley + Crowder + BK 2018 + another 1st.  It is possible that the BK 2018 wasn't on the table and that is why Pritchard didn't reach out to them, but that offer trumps what they got from OKC.
that just isn't right by what everyone including Woj said.  Smart, Crowder, and non premium 1sts is all it took to land George
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

that just isn't right by what everyone including Woj said.  Smart, Crowder, and non premium 1sts is all it took to land George
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I neither recall nor am able to find anything concrete about what the Pacers did or did not want.

« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I neither recall nor am able to find anything concrete about what the Pacers did or did not want.
it is in this thread and was all iver the site fir weeks
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Stephen A Smith said on ESPN that Thomas camp accuses Ainge of deceit, using him to recruit free agents while shopping him to other teams. Said that Thomas heard Ainge approached Cleveland first, and was trying to trade Thomas to around the league throughout the off season.

« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2017, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Stephen A Smith said on ESPN that Thomas camp accuses Ainge of deceit, using him to recruit free agents while shopping him to other teams. Said that Thomas heard Ainge approached Cleveland first, and was trying to trade Thomas to around the league throughout the off season.

I mean, isn't that basically what happened? There was no way Ainge was going to pay Isaiah next summer once the details of Thomas' hip became known, and they weren't going to keep Isaiah on a shelf for half the season and then watch him walk next summer. Given that we know that Isaiah was a big part of recruiting Hayward and that Ainge was quoted saying something along the lines of "this trade wasn't available a month ago" when he got Irving, Ange using Thomas to recruit FAs while planning to eventually trade him is the most logical way to read the events of the summer.

« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I can understand the message sent to a player when they are asked to participate in recruitment efforts on behalf of the team.  I think anyone would assume that this means that management considers you to be part of the future. 

On the other hand, any player who thinks their GM (especially if it's Danny Ainge) isn't constantly looking for ways to improve the team (which includes trading anyone), isn't paying close enough attention.

« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Moranis is right on this. Crowder, Smart, multiple non-BRK/LAL picks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I mean, if Ainge was shopping IT while promising him he'd be a building block, selling free agents on a future with IT, etc., that's sleazy. I don't care about results, that's the wrong way to conduct business.

But, it's not necessarily true. SAS is repeating rumors of rumors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

I mean, if Ainge was shopping IT while promising him he'd be a building block, selling free agents on a future with IT, etc., that's sleazy. I don't care about results, that's the wrong way to conduct business.

But, it's not necessarily true. SAS is repeating rumors of rumors.
classic SAS
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Moranis is right on this. Crowder, Smart, multiple non-BRK/LAL picks.
Yeah, I found an article from Woj about it.

The Pacers were seeking Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart and multiple picks from the Boston Celtics. The Celtics weren't ready to finalize that deal with multiple picks as they wanted to sign Gordon Hayward before moving on the George trade.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246649/Pacers-Were-Offered-Gary-Harris-In-Three-Way-Paul-George-Trade
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
A better PG (Irving) came available at the same time that our best player (IT) was injured and was heading into a very expensive FA period.

As far as we know, Irving wasn't available prior to this summer.

Given new information, why should Danny not try to pursue the best available talent (Kyrie).

While it does suck that IT's feelings were hurt in this process, it is a business. Every player is told that it can be a cold business as a rookie.

I feel for IT, as it just seemed like he was in a stable, good spot for the first time in his career. At the same time, I think that he will find security and happiness in another city. He will be fine.

He's justified for being upset, and I'm justified to be excited b/c the Celtics have a brighter future after the trade.

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Danny knows exactly how IT feels as he was a very good piece of a championship caliber team and was traded away for Joe Klein. Unlike IT, he was sent to purgatory and IT got sent to the Cavs. This however is a business. I liked IT and he was fun to watch, however he was badly injured with no guarantee he'd ever return to form. For a little guy who depends so much on his speed and athleticism, and a guy who made a dumb comment about backing up the Brinks truck, it was too much business risk. Kyrie is definitely the better player, and so it had to be done. I understand why he's upset, but he lost a ton of respect acting like a whiny bitc*. Act like a grown man and even if you don't mean it be professional.

« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
You know what folks, I also may not speak to Danny.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."