Author Topic: Revised feelings on the trade since watching pre-season?  (Read 6720 times)

Revised feelings on the trade since watching pre-season?
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Crowder
One thing that stands out to me in a big way is how frustrating it would be if we still had Crowder.  I think trading Crowder (Despite being good and on a good contract) is one of the most important parts of the trade.

It's obvious we have something Brown and Tatum, and can you imagine fitting in 30 minutes a night for Crowder? I can't.  Also it would hurt Rozier/Smart's minutes as well whom both have much higher ceilings than Crowder.

It's obvious now to me, and it was probably obvious to Danny/Brad, that Crowder simply HAD to go... I for one am super thankful he's gone. I'm not cool with Tatum/Brown getting 10 minutes a night.

Zizic
Seeing that Horford will likely start at the 5, our need for big-depth isn't as stark.  Baynes can replace Horford, Theis can be the third-string center. Ziczic just wasn't important at all.  Third-string centers in a small ball NBA are probably the least important part of a team. Not worried about him being gone at all.

The Pick
Hey has anyone watched the Nets basketball this pre-season? They are running people out of the gym. They are crushing people.  The Nets are winning 30+ games with zero incentive to tank and a roster of players that need to prove themselves.  This pick is going to end up 8-12 IMO.  Combined with the fact that we have the LA pick still... Not gonna miss this pick one bit. 

IT4
Injured, older, slower.  Will only play about 50 games in his contract year.  We wont miss him one bit, glad to get out from underneath his brinks trucks.

Celtics won this trade hands down. I Feel bad for the Cavs having their cornerstone demand a trade, but thats what happens when you have a dysfunctional front office and ownership.

Re: Revised feelings on the trade since watching pre-season?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I used to get real excited watching pre-season.

Until Orien Greene, circa 2005 I think.

Others will know what I mean.

Don't take too much stock on what we see so far.  It is nice that the young bench is playing well, I've enjoyed every minute of it.

But remember the Sixers not only haven't been playing Embiid, but that Embiid is really there whole team's future. If he plays, they are tough. If he doesn't, they are a lottery team.

So let's hold our horses until the real games are played.

I agree with you about Crowder, though.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
While I'm okay with the deal, I'm still not 100% sold.
Crowder: was a very good player. Not great but steady. Played good D, could hit 3's, and played hard all the time. While I wish he didn't settle for 3's so much, I still think he's an addition to the deal. We will have to wait and see weather Brown and Tatum are ready this year, but it's a lot of pressure on young guys.

Zizic: Don't have a clue, but with Baynes hurt, it shows Celts could use some depth at center.

Pick: certainly not a believer that Nets are going to make that great a jump. Possible they could, I guess, but don't see how you can make that determination from 3 pre-season games. I still see them as a top 5 pick.

IT: Really?? The guy was in the MVP battle. You have no idea how he will be when he comes back. Maybe, do to the fact he was apparently injured a fair amount of last season, he will come back faster and better. Who knows, but I will say, I'll miss what he brought to the team and how hard he played.

Listen, I like Irving and think he could be a top 10 player, but I'm going to wait a while before I can truly access the trade one way or the other.   

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I rarely revise my feelings based on preseason. Even 3 regular season games where players actually care would be a small sample size to generalize from.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I’ve now accepted the trade.  It’s done and it’s time to root for Irving and this current version of the team.  It’s sad to see IT and Crowder on another team and I think Crowder was extremely underrated here and now people are also minimizing Isaiah’s talent and assuming the worst health wise.  Zizic is pretty insignificant. 

I was always on board with giving up the players that we did but the trading the Nets pick was a tough pill to swallow for me.  People who are trying to justify the trade like the OP will say the Nets will win over 30 games.  This is insane to me.  The Nets haven’t had insentive to tank in years.  They will be as bad as they were last year.  They will be a bottom 3 team and that draft pick will be excellent.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
TP incoherent, all good points.

At the time it felt like we overpaid, especially extracting that last 2nd rounder out of us.   That whole thing really is what dragged IT through the mud.

But I do feel we got the best player in the deal, and honestly the Sac/LA pick is already looking better than the BK18'.  Parlaying both moves together was clutch by Ainge.  Him calling Tatum over Fultz from the get-go a la Larry legend trash talk of course, the best part!

Brown/Tatum or Avery/Jae --- tough call here.   

Hard not to like the youth, but those two vets were the core of an elite defense.  Hopefully Tatum can still hit shots in the playoffs, when we'll need him or Jae might get the last laugh this season.  Looking forward to seeing them matchup against one another. 

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Preseason shouldn't change anybody's assessment, for better or worse.

We probably can't fully assess this one at least until this year's draft lottery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm probably in the minority of Celtics fans here but I loved the trade when it happened and I love it even more seeing the pre-season.

I was far more upset about losing Avery and Kelly than I was about Isaiah or Jae. I liked all of them but the brinks truck talk and the deleted trade me tweet were off-putting. So I guess i got over the team getting blown up when Avery got traded, because I was more attached to him than anyone, and was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I knew Kyrie mostly from watching us play the cavs and the Uncle Drew videos, and thought he was good and likable. I was pumped when we got him, pumped we didn't lose Smart or Brown or Tatum, and felt it was a fair trade. Now I think we may have gotten the better end of the trade.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Semi is a very nice replacement for crowder.

Brown, rozier , smart and tatum can play more min with Crowder and AB traded

Things had to change

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was fine with the personnel moves in trade.  The BKN pick going was the one thing that made me apprehensive.  Once we see where that lands/pans out (as well as LAL '18), then I'll either feel much better or possibly much worse about this trade.

Pre-season won't move the needle for me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Much will depend on just how good Kyrie demonstrates he can be now that he's out of LeBron's shadow, and just how good Isaiah looks coming off his injury.

Crowder was expendable given Tatum + Brown.

Zizic, I agree, is replaceable.  Teams seem to find productive traditional big men in the 20-45 range every year.

The pick was a major piece to give up, but I'm kind of relieved to not have to follow the Nets all year for the 3rd year in a row.  We've got enough young pieces anyway.

The real kicker here is that Danny ripped out of the heart of the franchise in the hopes that the beating heart he'd put in place of the previous one will be stronger and last longer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
In the beginning I hated the trade. Now, I don't like it, but can see the benefit of having Irving on the team.

At first what bothered me the most was giving away a top pick for next year. Now, I feel that with the addition of Crowder, Zizic and IT (later in the season) we simply made Cleveland that much stronger. Thus, we essentially screwed ourselves.

A few days ago I watched the opening few minutes of a Cleveland preseason game. Their defense, with Crowder in the lineup, looked awesome. Maybe it was just a preseason game and didn't mean much, but I have a feeling they are going to be even better than last season.

So, as much as we may benefit with Irving in the lineup, we made it much more difficult to beat Cleveland. Plus, we may end up helping them become contenders for years if the pick turns out to be a beast. 

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I was happy when I heard about the trade, and I'm happy about it now.

IT was a good Celtic while he was here, and gave some great efforts and exciting times. But I think the continual Brinks Truck message had a negative effect.

When talking about an NBA championship, IT was fools gold, great scorer, made nobody better, and was the least valuable defender in the NBA. Teams actually planned their attack with IT in mind. Not to mention his time bomb hip injury.

After watching how Irving defends...at least he's visible. He's somewhat able to defend straight-up.

Crowder is a good player, a nice 3 and D player, but he's more talk than anything else. Jae Crowder isn't gonna lead your team anywhere. Brown and Tatum need to develop, both will surpass Crowder shortly.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new blood develop. I understand it will take some time, especially with the short preseason, but IMO we're on the right track.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:09:22 PM by Rosco917 »

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The trade has gotten better for me.

In no real order...

Tatum and Jaylen look more ready than I feared

Kyrie looks a little better than I thought

With the Nets getting more talent and other teams losing All Stars to out west the pick doesn't look as good as I hoped

I didn't expect IT to be out so long and that's huge

The money and age difference involved might make a big difference too.

With Baynes and Theis playing well losing Zizic doesn't hurt as much

Cleveland losing Kyrie could really hurt them.

In a worst case scenario (pick is good, IT is great, Kyrie isn't as great as hoped, either Tatum or Brown don't really get it going) things still look quite survivable and in a best case scenario we look really good

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
IT was fools gold, great scorer, made nobody better

It's comments like this that make me wonder what I missed. IT sure seemed to have a noticeable effect on his team and his teammates from where I was watching.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes