Author Topic: Zizic vs Theis vs Baynes  (Read 3600 times)

Zizic vs Theis vs Baynes
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
All 3 guys are getting some PT this preseason. Personally, I've loved what I've seen out of both Theis and Baynes. They're physical and can space the floor. Theis, in particular, has impressed me and I like what I've seen from him more than Ante.

But that's just me. How about u guys? If we had to include a big in the Kyrie trade, which of the 3 bigs would u have shipped out (assuming all were eligible to be traded, etc.)?
- LilRip

Re: Zizic vs Theis vs Baynes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Love Theis, don't think I'll miss Zizic one bit.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Theis and Baynes weren't tradeable nor would I have dealt them over Z. Z is two years away from reaching Baynes level and Theis is a steal at this point as he is a perfect big off the bench. All three gave up $ to be C's so I respect all of them and feel bad Z had to be added to salary match. Had we been able to keep Z we would be in great shape at Center.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Zizic is comfortably last out of those three, and would still be so if we included Yabu in the list.

He provides the least to us immediately when compared to Baynes and Theis, and has considerably less potential than Yabu
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
agree. so far baynes and theis look like great fits both. its possible danny knows what hes doing. :)

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Zizic who?

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Zizic who?

He's this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bal9DQWGg&feature=youtu.be

Theis much better shooter, pick setter, shot blocker....ask Ante about Theis' shotblocking.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I miss Zizic. After Baynes, there is just no one on this roster with real center size who can bang around in the paint. Theis has looked good on the defensive end but he's undersized against any traditional center. Having one more guy with Zizic's skillset on the roster would be nice.

That said, I predict Zizic has the 3rd best season of the 3 this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:27:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I miss Zizic. After Baynes, there is just no one on this roster with real center size who can bang around in the paint. Theis has looked good on the defensive end but he's undersized against any traditional center. Having one more guy with Zizic's skillset on the roster would be nice.

How is it possible to miss somebody who never played for the C's?  Plus he looked awful in SL.

This team may not have a real banger this season, but it may not matter.  Witness GS.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He’s not even getting playing time at all in preseason on the Cavs. He is a very limited player

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades

Truth be told there are few players with real center size and Zizic's limited skillset in the NBA at all, so maybe Baynes would be enough for that role.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

How is it possible to miss somebody who never played for the C's?  Plus he looked awful in SL.

This team may not have a real banger this season, but it may not matter.  Witness GS.
I don't think it's fair to say, "You don't need a banger, just look at this team that has 2 of the 3 best players in the league and starts 4 hall of famers." The Celtics aren't good enough at everything else to be able to punt interior toughness. Think about Tristan Thompson eating the Celtics alive in the ECFs last year and then Thompson looking useless in the Finals against GS.

And I'm not talking about wishing Zizic was here to be part of the regular rotation, only that it would've been good to have one more guy with that size and skillset.

Truth be told there are few players with real center size and Zizic's limited skillset in the NBA at all, so maybe Baynes would be enough for that role.
But for the nights where the Celtics have to play against a Whiteside, a Drummond, a Lopez, a Thompson, etc having only one guy on the roster who can really match up with them makes me a little nervous.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
I hate bigs that play small and don't utilize their size, and that's exactly how zizic plays. He's always playing below the rim, doesn't have the athleticism you need for a big in today's league. He's got concrete feet. Look how quick Thies leaves the floor on his second & third jump in that video, zizic isn't capable of that, he's a plodder. I'll be very surprised if he amounts to anything of true value in this league.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I would have kept Z over GY if that was an option, but would rather have both Theis and Baynes.   Still think we need more depth at center.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I don't think it's fair to say, "You don't need a banger, just look at this team that has 2 of the 3 best players in the league and starts 4 hall of famers." The Celtics aren't good enough at everything else to be able to punt interior toughness. Think about Tristan Thompson eating the Celtics alive in the ECFs last year and then Thompson looking useless in the Finals against GS.

And I'm not talking about wishing Zizic was here to be part of the regular rotation, only that it would've been good to have one more guy with that size and skillset.

But for the nights where the Celtics have to play against a Whiteside, a Drummond, a Lopez, a Thompson, etc having only one guy on the roster who can really match up with them makes me a little nervous.

I am looking forward to seeing Yabusele serve as backup muscle for Baynes.