Author Topic: ESPN match-up-with-Warriors power rankings. LOL.  (Read 4717 times)

Re: ESPN match-up-with-Warriors power rankings. LOL.
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 02:12:09 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I like the way it talks about the loss of Amir Johnson as if that was such a huge blow. The guy terrible and was virtually unplayable during the playoffs.

It's what happens when advanced analytics jockeys are given a microphone. "But..but he was +3 in the 4 minutes per game he was played! That's +22.5 per 30 minutes making him the greatest player of all time. How can the Celtics ever overcome losing that?"

It's a mental disorder. Just nod your head and move on and hope that it's not contagious.

The strict analytics people don't watch the games and wonder why a guy like Marcus Smart is so valuable. They should stick to baseball.

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Their coverage is officially become full-blown clickbait garbage. 

Of course they know the C's have a better chance than half the league.

But that isn't a story.

They only have one priority, please their advertisers.

Best way, these days, is to tick off the largest most engaged fan base in the league. 

It's a simple equation:

Preposporous claim underestimating the C's
+
A planet packed with critical Celtics fans
=
100's of thousands of web page impressions.

Well I've had enough. 

Maybe this time, we skip them over. 

Do we really need to read their piece to gauge exactly how wrong they are this time?

Sorry ESPN.

The highlights on YouTube are better than sportscenter.

The NBA commentary from the knowledge base over at the Ringer smokes you guys (at least those guys seem to watch the sports they cover)

Celticblog Challenge:

Go the whole season without clicking their website even once. 

Trust me you'll feel better for it.

TP

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
They're using their own "real plus-minus" which is garbage as the foundation of the rankings. Garbage in, garbage out.

Some details:
  • RPM has Paul George 37th, behind Zaza Pachulia, Giorgui Deng, Lucas Nogueira and other notables
  • RPM has Jae Crowder at 20 and Amir Johnson at 21, just ahead of Blake Griffin
  • RPM ranks Kevin Love ahead of James Harden, Anthony Davis and Greek Freak
  • RPM ranks Cody Zeller as better than Gordon Hayward and Paul George
  • RPM ranks Patrick Patterson and Dewayne Dedmon ahead of Isaiah Thomas, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Bradley Beal and Karl Anthony-Towns
  • ESPN is stupid and it sucks

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
clearly Boston shouldn't be that low, but I do think GS is an absolutely terrible matchup for Boston and there are teams behind Boston that do match-up better (a team like the Bucks for example, does match-up better against the Warriors than Boston does, but Boston is better than the Bucks and would very likely beat them in a playoff series). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They're using their own "real plus-minus" which is garbage as the foundation of the rankings. Garbage in, garbage out.

Some details:
  • RPM has Paul George 37th, behind Zaza Pachulia, Giorgui Deng, Lucas Nogueira and other notables
  • RPM ranks Patrick Patterson and Dewayne Dedmon ahead of Isaiah Thomas, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Bradley Beal and Karl Anthony-Towns

According to the RPM rankings, this starting lineup would have won 50+ games last year:

Pat Beverley, Andre Roberson, Rob Covington, Amir Johnson, Dewayne Dedmon
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think the C's are one of the best matchup wise against GSW.

I believe Boston has a better shot at beating Golden State than Cleveland or San Antonio. The only team I would really hesitate on is Houston. So I would have Boston as either the most likely or 2nd most likely to beat GSW in a playoff series.

Prior to this summer, it wasn’t outrageous to consider Boston the worst matchup for GSW. At worst, maybe second to San Antonio.

I don’t see how the trades this season makes them any worse. Kyrie and Isaiah are a wash. Gordon is not much of a downgrade defensively but is a major upgrade offensively and that should make Durant work on the defensive end. Morris is a better matchup against them than Johnson. Bradley is a big loss without a doubt, but Rozier looks ready and Smart looks quicker than ever.

We shouldn’t be favored over them, but we should be less of an underdog than just about every other team, in my green-colored-glasses opinion.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I gotta save this ESPN webpage so when people start quoting ESPNs RPM as a way of rating players, I can just reference this aticle to show them how wrong they are.

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think the C's are one of the best matchup wise against GSW.

I believe Boston has a better shot at beating Golden State than Cleveland or San Antonio. The only team I would really hesitate on is Houston. So I would have Boston as either the most likely or 2nd most likely to beat GSW in a playoff series.

Prior to this summer, it wasn’t outrageous to consider Boston the worst matchup for GSW. At worst, maybe second to San Antonio.

I don’t see how the trades this season makes them any worse. Kyrie and Isaiah are a wash. Gordon is not much of a downgrade defensively but is a major upgrade offensively and that should make Durant work on the defensive end. Morris is a better matchup against them than Johnson. Bradley is a big loss without a doubt, but Rozier looks ready and Smart looks quicker than ever.

We shouldn’t be favored over them, but we should be less of an underdog than just about every other team, in my green-colored-glasses opinion.
Losing Bradley, Crowder, and Johnson are actually much bigger than you are giving them credit for because Boston's only real shot against GS is defensively.  This team is worse defensively overall and didn't make up nearly enough of the offensive gap to overcome that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Some details:

Thank you saved me the trouble of reading it