Author Topic: ESPN match-up-with-Warriors power rankings. LOL.  (Read 4719 times)

Re: ESPN match-up-with-Warriors power rankings. LOL.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Clips at the 5th spot are just ridiculous: It is so ridiculous, it should be on the writer's tombstone.
During the best years of the Clips franchise history 2013-2017, since they have beaten the Warriors in the 1st round of the 2013 playoffs, they haven't been able to sniff them. I mean they were beating on them like a drum, 30, 40 points advantage. (I know this cause a friend of mine is a huge Clips fan and he was crying on the phone like a baby, every single time after their loss, 4x per season) Then the let them stick close till the 4th qtr, but kill them to finish +20 with flamethrowing threes. And now they say, after having the whole summer to ponder the possibilities, that a weaker version of that team (best player is gone, the 2nd best player is robbed from his athleticism, and nominally their 3rd best guy is a good center, but always was a playoff/late game screwup) is the 4th best GSW challenger. 

By their count,  between the Lakers (21.) and the Celts (15.) there are just 5 teams that matchup better with GSW.

Conclusion: When you write up something totally out there, you can just say that special computer programs, even better to use the term, the models made this calculation. That way you can say that BKN will finish 50-32 and it will have some anchorage there. All clean.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:47:16 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: ESPN power rankings. LOL.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Most hilarious thing I've woken up to in a long time.
You don't believe the matchup with the Warriors is just average for us?

Absolutely not. We matchup with the Warriors as well as anyone in the league with our versatility on both sides of the ball. This list is a joke.

Yeah, I realize we have had a number of roster changes, but we are 2-2 against them in the last two years - with one of those losses going into multiple overtimes. For a team that is considered at least the clear-cut #2 team in the EC, this seems like a major insult, especially since we are considered to be better than '15-'16 and '16-'17. Like, who created this thing?

Re: ESPN power rankings. LOL.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Most hilarious thing I've woken up to in a long time.
You don't believe the matchup with the Warriors is just average for us?

Absolutely not. We matchup with the Warriors as well as anyone in the league with our versatility on both sides of the ball. This list is a joke.

Yeah, I realize we have had a number of roster changes, but we are 2-2 against them in the last two years - with one of those losses going into multiple overtimes. For a team that is considered at least the clear-cut #2 team in the EC, this seems like a major insult, especially since we are considered to be better than '15-'16 and '16-'17. Like, who created this thing?

Jemele Hill???

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Their coverage is officially become full-blown clickbait garbage. 

Of course they know the C's have a better chance than half the league.

But that isn't a story.

They only have one priority, please their advertisers.

Best way, these days, is to tick off the largest most engaged fan base in the league. 

It's a simple equation:

Preposporous claim underestimating the C's
+
A planet packed with critical Celtics fans
=
100's of thousands of web page impressions.

Well I've had enough. 

Maybe this time, we skip them over. 

Do we really need to read their piece to gauge exactly how wrong they are this time?

Sorry ESPN.

The highlights on YouTube are better than sportscenter.

The NBA commentary from the knowledge base over at the Ringer smokes you guys (at least those guys seem to watch the sports they cover)

Celticblog Challenge:

Go the whole season without clicking their website even once. 

Trust me you'll feel better for it.

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 10:41:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Their coverage is officially become full-blown clickbait garbage. 

Of course they know the C's have a better chance than half the league.

But that isn't a story.

They only have one priority, please their advertisers.

Best way, these days, is to tick off the largest most engaged fan base in the league. 

It's a simple equation:

Preposporous claim underestimating the C's
+
A planet packed with critical Celtics fans
=
100's of thousands of web page impressions.

Well I've had enough. 

Maybe this time, we skip them over. 

Do we really need to read their piece to gauge exactly how wrong they are this time?

Sorry ESPN.

The highlights on YouTube are better than sportscenter.

The NBA commentary from the knowledge base over at the Ringer smokes you guys (at least those guys seem to watch the sports they cover)

Celticblog Challenge:

Go the whole season without clicking their website even once. 

Trust me you'll feel better for it.
You are 100% right. We shouldn't support poor and "forced" due to thier size, coverage. I didn't follow them in my first 19 years of NBA. Since the Grantland teardown, I started to visit them in search of Z.Lowe articles. PP and Tmac are good too and thats about it.
However since most CBloggers are from US, seems like every ESPN article remotely significant gets a thread here.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
What a joke... Should have ranked the Celtics #17

17 championships

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
This is the problem with analytics...they don't account for a LOT of what we bring to the table (or at least did and hopefully still will this season).  Grit, tenacity, effort, supreme coaching, guys sacrificing stats for good of team.  People talk about things like chemistry in baseball which is important but nowhere NEAR the level of importance as chemistry is in basketball.  It's what the Celtics bring - and for the most part, have always brought - and it is consistently overlooked (or not looked at at all) by stat heads.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
This is why I only check ESPN for scores.  They've just become too gimmicky.  Constantly ramming a superstar or a super team down everyone's throats (ie The Heat Index).  Maybe that's just the way sports are now (and have been for many years) where fans' allegiances change but I've been rooting for the same team for 30 years and it's not changing. 

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is like making a power rankings of how various breeds of dog matchup with a pickup truck.

Just looking through the top of the rankings ahead of the Celts, it's very clear that they overrate teams with talented size and underrate projected offensive efficiency and defensive ability.

The Nuggets have firepower but they'd give up 120-130+ points every single game against the Nuggets.

A team like the Heat or Jazz can't hope to score enough points.  Just not enough shooting or offensive talent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like the way it talks about the loss of Amir Johnson as if that was such a huge blow. The guy terrible and was virtually unplayable during the playoffs.

Yeah, that was pretty much laughable. If anything, Morris is twice as good of a fit against the Warriors as Amir due to his better isolation offense, floor spreading, and versatile defense

All you have to do is look at the fact that they based this HEAVILY on their in-house RPM statistic.

RPM loves Amir.

It's a wonky stat that has a lot of fairly obvious bugs in it if you ever look at the rankings of players based on the stat.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Espn has a long history of "loving" the celtics-

Remember 08 finals predictions, 66 win Celtic team:

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Jesus. Calm down with all the Trumpian ESPN attacks. Still full of hundreds of great stories every week. It's an insult to David Aldridge and many others.

I posted this thread to say that the subjective assessment was, in my opinion, not great.

So sick of conspiracy theories. Just so sick of them at the moment. Except Kyrie. Kyrie can say what he wants.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 01:08:30 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I like the way it talks about the loss of Amir Johnson as if that was such a huge blow. The guy terrible and was virtually unplayable during the playoffs.

It's what happens when advanced analytics jockeys are given a microphone. "But..but he was +3 in the 4 minutes per game he was played! That's +22.5 per 30 minutes making him the greatest player of all time. How can the Celtics ever overcome losing that?"

It's a mental disorder. Just nod your head and move on and hope that it's not contagious.

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ridiculous trades aside - many of which seemed to include Demar Derozan because you just know that Toronto has been shopping him for like, ever ::) - my favorite part of these "power rankings" has to be this line from the preview of the Minnesota Timberwolves -

Still, Minnesota should make its first playoff appearance in 13 years behind an offense projected to be better than that of all of but team: the Warriors.
--Nick Friedell

Not if Thibs has anything to say about it :laugh:.

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Miami in the top 10 - that's all I need to see.