Author Topic: Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal  (Read 7510 times)

Re: Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Zizic will be a nice backup center someday.

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If he cannot shoot the 3-ball, then his talent is just meh. That's the style of the NBA nowadays!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Best of luck waiting for the Croatian Crawler to ever make a dent in the association.

Hope you're ready to wait forever.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The rumor was originally "Isaiah, Crowder, Lakers Pick" for most Irving trade rumors at the end of July and most of August. Even that was considered a slight overpay on Boston's part.

Then the deal happens, and it's "IT4, Crowder, 2018 Nets Pick, AND Zizic"  :o

I've obviously let known what my initial thoughts on the trade were (and I'm sure I've annoyed a ton of people in the process LOL), but what baffles me is how Zizic was added to what already was an overpay.

Seems like Zizic was just a "throw-in" in this deal, and that's ridiculous because many experts said that in this previous draft (2017 NBA Draft), Zizic would likely have been a Top-10 pick (or at least a lottery one).

So far, in 3 preseason games (and yes, I'm aware, it's only preseason):

10/4 vs. Atlanta Hawks: 4 points (3/5 shooting), 6 rebounds, 1 block (12 minutes)
10/6 vs. Indiana Pacers: 1 point, 1 rebound, 2 blocks (12 minutes)
10/8 vs. Washington Wizards: 7 points (2/3 shooting), 7 rebounds, 1 block (23 minutes)

Not too shabby. Struggled against Indiana but had 2 blocks in that game, and in the other 2 games had 6-7 rebounds with a block added too.

I think Zizic was slightly overhyped to begin with (like he wasn't a unicorn like Jokic as some on here said or anything like that), but still thought he could grow into a solid player (fringe starter who rebounds very well too).

Instead he goes to Cleveland and now Cleveland has two huge assets to potentially cash in on (either short term via trade, or long term assuming Lebron leaves).

And I know injuries happen, but now with Baynes likely out for a bit, suddenly our depth at center looks really, really thin again. Welp.

I understand Isaiah's injury played a part in all of this, but according to many reports, NO other team came close to what Boston was offering.

Zizic could have been used in another trade for another star to pair with Irving/Hayward and maybe Horford. Instead now the treasure chest is a lot thinner than it needed to be, with the Celtics still 1 star away from legitimately contending (IMHO).

if you were the Celtics GM, nothing would ever get done

can't be always trying to rip off other teams .... yes Danny succeeded a few times (half by luck)

but at some point , it can't continue

Celtics  gave up IT4 (who may never be the same again),  2018 Nets pick (which could be in the 7-9 range)  and Crowder (who is a solid pro but nothing great)

add a 20th pick Zizic .... and you are mad about this?     Zizic was on the way to warm up the bench or start in the G league... 

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Dupe
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:35:27 PM by mainevent »
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Someone had to go to match salaries and after seeing Zizic in Summer League I don't believe the front office of the Celtics was buying that bull about Zizic being a top 10 pick this year. That was just silliness.

Just for discussion's sake:  Did you happen to catch the July 9th, Summer League game against the 'Blazers?  How well did you think Zizic compared to the _actual_ #10 pick, Zach Collins?  FWIW, here are their stats from that game:

Zach Collins (7' 0", 233 lb, 19.9 years old)
5 points on 1-7 shooting, 6 reb, 1 assist, 3 steal, 2 block, 4 PF in 29:59 minutes

Ante Zizic (6' 11", 254 lb, 20.7 years old)
9 points on 3 of 4 shooting, 11 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 block, 3 PF in 27:04 minutes

Maybe your eyes saw something different, but mine saw Zizic pretty much dominate the #10 pick.   'Just one game of course.

Zizic actually dominated the _next_ two SL games even more so, in fewer minutes, posting lines of 12/13/2/1 and 14/11/1/3 in under 18 minutes of each game.   Did you only watch the first couple of games of SL?

:laugh: Are you really using a summer league game as a comparison? Lol...come on bro be for real. Remember Jordan Mickey? Summer league/D league all-star! How well did that work out? Zizic will take years to develop a decent game, if it ever develops. I felt buyers remorse watching those games as I was so anticipating seeing him in green this year. He was exactly what the title of this thread says he was...a throw-in, and I for one am not torn over the fact that it was him over anyone left on our current roster...not named Abdel Nader!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Someone had to go to match salaries and after seeing Zizic in Summer League I don't believe the front office of the Celtics was buying that bull about Zizic being a top 10 pick this year. That was just silliness.

Just for discussion's sake:  Did you happen to catch the July 9th, Summer League game against the 'Blazers?  How well did you think Zizic compared to the _actual_ #10 pick, Zach Collins?  FWIW, here are their stats from that game:

Zach Collins (7' 0", 233 lb, 19.9 years old)
5 points on 1-7 shooting, 6 reb, 1 assist, 3 steal, 2 block, 4 PF in 29:59 minutes

Ante Zizic (6' 11", 254 lb, 20.7 years old)
9 points on 3 of 4 shooting, 11 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 block, 3 PF in 27:04 minutes

Maybe your eyes saw something different, but mine saw Zizic pretty much dominate the #10 pick.   'Just one game of course.

Zizic actually dominated the _next_ two SL games even more so, in fewer minutes, posting lines of 12/13/2/1 and 14/11/1/3 in under 18 minutes of each game.   Did you only watch the first couple of games of SL?

:laugh: Are you really using a summer league game as a comparison? Lol...come on bro be for real. Remember Jordan Mickey? Summer league/D league all-star! How well did that work out? Zizic will take years to develop a decent game, if it ever develops. I felt buyers remorse watching those games as I was so anticipating seeing him in green this year. He was exactly what the title of this thread says he was...a throw-in, and I for one am not torn over the fact that it was him over anyone left on our current roster...not named Abdel Nader!  ;D

Pay attention to the thread of discussion.

The dismissals by some folks here of Zizic's pre-SL assessment of "probably would have gone top-10 in this latest draft" is based purely on Summer League.    So I'm simply pointing out that in actuality, his Summer League performance was consistent with him being assessed higher than the guy taken #10.

Personally, I put a lot more stock in the much, much larger sample sizes we have on players like Zizic in EuroLeague, which is a far, far more serious level of competition, than a handful of games in Summer League.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If Kyrie plays like Kyrie I would just rather keep IT and hope that IT plays like IT.

I think if Kyrie plays like Kyrie, he is still a little better as an overall asset than IT playing like IT.  But if you take this further and consider the odds that each will play this season as well as last season, than it favors Kyrie even more.  It is actually likely that Kyrie plays better than Kyrie and very unlikely that IT will play like IT.  I am not knocking IT, and lord knows I am done underestimating IT, but how can anyone expect another big season out of IT when he will be lucky to play half the season?

As for Zizic, I think he will be a decent player in a few years, maybe sooner.  Not a huge loss, but a loss.

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If he cannot shoot the 3-ball, then his talent is just meh. That's the style of the NBA nowadays!

Unfortunately that is true nowadays too lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:28 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Best of luck waiting for the Croatian Crawler to ever make a dent in the association.

No, he will dominate the league like his fellow countryman Dragan Bender and Ivaca Zubac.

Oh, wait...

P.s.
Before somebody suggests it, I my background is actually Croatian - so no, I'm not a Croatian player hater lol

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

No, he will dominate the league like his fellow countryman Dragan Bender and Ivaca Zubac.

Oh, wait...

P.s.
Before somebody suggests it, I my background is actually Croatian - so no, I'm not a Croatian player hater lol

I mean, Zubac doesn't look bad. He actually looks pretty good (not all-star good, but still...)

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32

Oh, wait...

P.s.

I mean, Zubac doesn't look bad. He actually looks pretty good (not all-star good, but still...)

Well the Lakers weren't that thrilled with him cause they signed Bogut who will backup Lopez. Luckily for Zubac, Lopez and Bogut have injury issues so he still can find minutes. The problem with Zubac is the Lakers want to play fast and Zubac looked all sorts of lost trying to play that way during the summer league. Guys like Zubac and Zizic don't really fit into today's style of basketball. Equally nonathletic guys like Baynes and Bogut made themselves into players who can play that style after many years learning how to play basketball at a high level. Zubac and Zizic will take many years to reach those level if ever.

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Define "dent", because if "dent" means being a backup or even a 9th/10th man in a roster at worst, then I don't think we're waiting too long.

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Oh, wait...

P.s.

Oh no doubt - I think he looks like a rotation player.  Maybe a 3rd string center - possibly even a 2nd string center on a really bad team.  I think he has the potential to develop into a solid backup center. 

But You're not giving up the opportunity to trade for a superstar because the other team wants you to throw Zubac in.  25 year old superstars with championship / Olympics experience aren't easy to come by at all.  That's like finding a needle in a haystack.  Hard to say no to a deal like that because they are asking for your 3rd string center who might one day become a 2nd string center lol

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Zizic will be back in a Euro League within 3 years!

Keep on trading the dead weight Danny