Author Topic: Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal  (Read 7492 times)

Re: Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
It was apparently either Yabu or Zizic and in today's NBA I'd rather keep Yabu.

correct. end of conversation lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think we had to either include Zizic or Yabu for salary purposes.

Really? I thought as long as it was close to Irving's $$$ it could work (didn't have to be exact)?

Right, but IT and Crowder combined only make about $13 million, which isn't "close" enough to Kyrie's $19 million. Salary needed to be added.

Oh okay, TP for that. Well that kind of sucks then, losing him just to match salary after already giving up a ton. 

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This deal basically means that the Nets pick needs to be out of the top 6 and Kyrie needs to play at Harden level last year to make it good value.

I think I would argue deal is good value if Kyrie plays like Kyrie, and pick is out of Top 5. It's a quibble though.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 11:44:52 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think people are looking at the trade wrong. Yes zizic is a good player, but he is behind Harford and Bayens. A snafu even a fourth the Lakers pick, we are in a great position t yo get Ayton or Bamba, both of whom predict to be ahead of zizic.  Your giving up a #3 center this year who becomes a # 4 center next year.  Seriously it's the equivalent of a zeller our Mickey.  Our roster has changed and we're better across the board. 

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I would have liked to keep Zizic also, however... he's just not an impactful enough player to be worth shutting down this deal.  Ultimately it does feel like this roster needs another big.

On the other side of the trade, imagine if we still had Crowder on this roster? How the heck would we have been able to develop Tatum and Brown give Crowder 25-30mins?  I feel like Crowder being gone is a blessing in disguise. 

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

That leads to the next question. Would you guys rather have Zizic or Yabu. I feel that Zizic fills more of a need, and is more likely to become a serviceable rotation player, but Yabu is a shot at a very good player.
One went 16th, the other 23rd.  I'm fine with keeping the #16 pick - odds are a little better that he becomes a decent player.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Someone had to go to match salaries and after seeing Zizic in Summer League I don't believe the front office of the Celtics was buying that bull about Zizic being a top 10 pick this year. That was just silliness.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 12:20:26 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Someone had to go to match salaries and after seeing Zizic in Summer League I don't believe the front office of the Celtics was buying that bull about Zizic being a top 10 pick this year. That was just silliness.

Yeah, people on here had me excited about him, but after watching him in summer league and more videos online, he seems to have Valanciunas 2.0 for his ceiling, which doesn't really fit Brad's style.

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 12:25:21 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I mean.... he looked 2 steps behind in summer league.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:08 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Just for discussion's sake:  Did you happen to catch the July 9th, Summer League game against the 'Blazers?  How well did you think Zizic compared to the _actual_ #10 pick, Zach Collins?  FWIW, here are their stats from that game:

Zach Collins (7' 0", 233 lb, 19.9 years old)
5 points on 1-7 shooting, 6 reb, 1 assist, 3 steal, 2 block, 4 PF in 29:59 minutes

Ante Zizic (6' 11", 254 lb, 20.7 years old)
9 points on 3 of 4 shooting, 11 reb, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 block, 3 PF in 27:04 minutes

Maybe your eyes saw something different, but mine saw Zizic pretty much dominate the #10 pick.   'Just one game of course.

Zizic actually dominated the _next_ two SL games even more so, in fewer minutes, posting lines of 12/13/2/1 and 14/11/1/3 in under 18 minutes of each game.   Did you only watch the first couple of games of SL?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:40 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
No worries, We have the Anti-Zizic right here.

https://youtu.be/32bal9DQWGg

Theis has more range in his shot, and is more ready to contribute right now.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:18:05 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 02:00:10 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Why not? He performed well in Euroleague, he is a C in a draft without much Big Men prospect. It is very reasonable to think teams woulve picked him in the top 10.

Using Summer League as a reason to justify that is wrong. The draft comes before Summer League. Remember, Exum was picked in the top 5 before people knew what he actually is. In draft past performance and intrigue and lack of competition at your position is enough to get your stock rising.

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The Cavs euro scout is ziggy. I can see zizic ironically playing like ziggy
Žižić playing like Ziggy?
Was he the one that was...
Jamming good with Weird and Gilly?
And the spiders from Mars.

However, Žižić is right-handed, not lefthanded like Ziggy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:14:50 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 03:33:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That leads to the next question. Would you guys rather have Zizic or Yabu. I feel that Zizic fills more of a need, and is more likely to become a serviceable rotation player, but Yabu is a shot at a very good player.
Yabusele has bust written all over him. He is one of those players that is intriguing because "that's what you need in today's NBA", not because he has a high chance to be a good pro.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 03:57:58 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Zizic is a foul machine, i only looked at stats in one preseason game and he had 3 fouls in 6 minutes-i followed every European game and only saw 1 outside shot and zero three's
.I don't think Zizic had time to adjust early in Summer league Jet Lag ,altitude and speed of potential NBA players.