Author Topic: Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal  (Read 7488 times)

Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:32:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The rumor was originally "Isaiah, Crowder, Lakers Pick" for most Irving trade rumors at the end of July and most of August. Even that was considered a slight overpay on Boston's part.

Then the deal happens, and it's "IT4, Crowder, 2018 Nets Pick, AND Zizic"  :o

I've obviously let known what my initial thoughts on the trade were (and I'm sure I've annoyed a ton of people in the process LOL), but what baffles me is how Zizic was added to what already was an overpay.

Seems like Zizic was just a "throw-in" in this deal, and that's ridiculous because many experts said that in this previous draft (2017 NBA Draft), Zizic would likely have been a Top-10 pick (or at least a lottery one).

So far, in 3 preseason games (and yes, I'm aware, it's only preseason):

10/4 vs. Atlanta Hawks: 4 points (3/5 shooting), 6 rebounds, 1 block (12 minutes)
10/6 vs. Indiana Pacers: 1 point, 1 rebound, 2 blocks (12 minutes)
10/8 vs. Washington Wizards: 7 points (2/3 shooting), 7 rebounds, 1 block (23 minutes)

Not too shabby. Struggled against Indiana but had 2 blocks in that game, and in the other 2 games had 6-7 rebounds with a block added too.

I think Zizic was slightly overhyped to begin with (like he wasn't a unicorn like Jokic as some on here said or anything like that), but still thought he could grow into a solid player (fringe starter who rebounds very well too).

Instead he goes to Cleveland and now Cleveland has two huge assets to potentially cash in on (either short term via trade, or long term assuming Lebron leaves).

And I know injuries happen, but now with Baynes likely out for a bit, suddenly our depth at center looks really, really thin again. Welp.

I understand Isaiah's injury played a part in all of this, but according to many reports, NO other team came close to what Boston was offering.

Zizic could have been used in another trade for another star to pair with Irving/Hayward and maybe Horford. Instead now the treasure chest is a lot thinner than it needed to be, with the Celtics still 1 star away from legitimately contending (IMHO).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Ridiculous That Zizic Was Merely A "Throw-In" To The Kyrie Deal
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Based on those preseason numbers I don't find it all that ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:44:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I also didn't like his inclusion, but it's possible it was required. Look at how long the deal was held up over a mid-2nd round pick.

I am not too worried about him growing into a superstar; he is just too limited for that. He could go on to have a very solid career, though, and it is possible that he could have been used as another trade chip in the future. Nobody seems to be banging down our door for Nader or Bird.

My hope is that we will remain contenders for a number of years and will consistently acquire  equally (or better) talented big men via vet min and/or buy-out all of those contending years. Zizic will take time develop, regardless.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this is why I do not like the multiple players for one player trades for the team giving up multiple players. The team that gets multiple payers has its risks spread out more favorably, than the team that get just one player.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The cavs euro scout is ziggy. I can see zizic ironically playing like ziggy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Atleast we don't have to worry about Zubac being better than Zizic lol.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
this is why I do not like the multiple players for one player trades for the team giving up multiple players. The team that gets multiple payers has its risks spread out more favorably, than the team that get just one player.

Yep, that's how I feel. This deal helps CLE short AND long term, while it only helps Boston long term basically. Giving them Crowder in addition was also tough because Crowder actually helps them a ton on the wing, but Zizic could be that underrated guy who kills us (b/c you know, every game there's always that unexpected guy who torches us because why the eff not  ::) )

I also didn't like his inclusion, but it's possible it was required. Look at how long the deal was held up over a mid-2nd round pick.

I am not too worried about him growing into a superstar; he is just too limited for that. He could go on to have a very solid career, though, and it is possible that he could have been used as another trade chip in the future. Nobody seems to be banging down our door for Nader or Bird.

My hope is that we will remain contenders for a number of years and will consistently acquire  equally (or better) talented big men via vet min and/or buy-out all of those contending years. Zizic will take time develop, regardless.

Agree that Zizic will take time, but man we could definitely use him now with Baynes likely out for a few weeks.

Also, the fact that the entire "stalemate" ended with only having to give up some 2020 2nd rounder (that I honestly had no clue we had in the treasure chest lol) sort of proves that CLE didn't have as much leverage b/c Kyrie clearly wanted out and no other team could come close to what BOS offered. I guess Ainge was just hell-bent on getting Kyrie though, so he made the deal with Zizic's inclusion as well (no 2nd thoughts).

Atleast we don't have to worry about Zubac being better than Zizic lol.

True but the Ingram vs. Brown and Tatum vs. Ball debates will live on forever LOL.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we had to either include Zizic or Yabu for salary purposes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This deal basically means that the Nets pick needs to be out of the top 6 and Kyrie needs to play at Harden level last year to make it good value.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

That leads to the next question. Would you guys rather have Zizic or Yabu. I feel that Zizic fills more of a need, and is more likely to become a serviceable rotation player, but Yabu is a shot at a very good player.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
This deal basically means that the Nets pick needs to be out of the top 6 and Kyrie needs to play at Harden level last year to make it good value.

Harden level PLUS the average defense.

Oh and hope Zizic doesn't become a legit star now.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 09:58:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Really? I thought as long as it was close to Irving's $$$ it could work (didn't have to be exact)?

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Based on those preseason numbers I don't find it all that ridiculous.

Yeah, unfortunately I couldn't see Zizic ever getting playing time under Brad Stevens. He doesn't fit our system, and he looked pretty bad overall in summer league and preseason so far.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Really? I thought as long as it was close to Irving's $$$ it could work (didn't have to be exact)?

Right, but IT and Crowder combined only make about $13 million, which isn't "close" enough to Kyrie's $19 million. Salary needed to be added.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It was apparently either Yabu or Zizic and in today's NBA I'd rather keep Yabu.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.