3 years/$36m
5 (15.6%)
4 years/ $60m
21 (65.6%)
4 years/$80m
3 (9.4%)
5 year/$Max
1 (3.1%)
Wait & See (Sign to qualifying offer a la Noel and make him unrestricted FA in 2019)
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: What is Marcus Smart's value?  (Read 1461 times)

What is Marcus Smart's value?
« on: October 10, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I voted for 4 year $60m. I think this figure falls in the middle of where he would like to be, while allowing him to mitigate risk of an uncertain FA.

Re: What is Marcus Smart's value?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The trouble with this type of evaluation is that for the past 2 years there was an infusion of money into the league that has dried up. You can't really compare what players got for the past 2 years to what other players perceived value is going forward because very few teams will spend above their current payroll and risk the luxury tax penalties.

In order for a guy like Smart to get a 4/80 contract he has to have the numbers and health to justify it. He simply does not and I hope he and his agent realize this going into negotiations. He would be best off to try for a 1 or 2 year deal with 12 to 15 per and hope that money reappears. Otherwise if he truly is loyal to a team then sign long term for 4/56 with ano option for security.

IMO he will be lucky to get Olynyk money.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I tend to agree with your analysis.

Most teams will look at Marcus as a 6th man. Certainly any team looking to compete for a championship. And for those younger teams who could invest in him, why would they do that when they could draft someone, have them under rookie contract control vs. paying Marcus $20m per year for potential starter value $ but more likely 6th man value?

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Guessing he likely gets 4/70M now, especially after that Harris contract.

If Olynyk got 4/50M, Smart will get more than that. Doubt he gets 4/80M though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
How much will Philly have to offer?

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

agree ....he is worth more than KO, ET , or AB

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:31:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Smart can improved his shooting this year to something like 45+ FG% and 35+ 3PT% he could get $15-17 million per year. But if he stays an all-time worst shooter ever, he is only worth $10-11 million per.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Man...I am starting to really like Smart after seeing the improvements he's made in the offseason.  Liking him a lot. 

But it's still really hard for me to justify the idea of paying him $15M a year.  We have Horford on $27M or so, Hayward pretty much on $30m.  At some point we are going to need to throw a max at Kyrie, so that will be another $30m deal, putting us at about $87M / $99M (88% of the cap) cap taken up by three guys.

We have a LOT of young prospects on rookie contracts, most notably Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum - who both have a lot of potential.  If you give $15M a year to Smart then we have literally our entire salary cap absorbed by four players.  How far can you go with a core of Kyrie, Smart, Hayward and Horford when you don't have the cap space to put much talent around them? 

And if we do it, how does that offect our ability to potentially give  a contract to Brown / Tatum later down the line if one (or both) has a breakout year?

Like I said I'm loving this new Smart, but I still need to be convinced he's good enough (and consistent enough) to be a permanent starter on a contender before I can justify throwing that type of money at him.  And I'll also need to see a little more of him then just 3 or 4 exhibition games to be convinced that this new Marcus Smart isn't just a result of him playing against lesser competition. 

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

agree ....he is worth more than KO, ET , or AB

Okay, saying he's worth more than AB is a stretch.

There's a reason AB is likely about to get close to the max, even if you don't think he's worth it. Smart is obviously younger though with room to grow.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Man...I am starting to really like Smart after seeing the improvements he's made in the offseason.  Liking him a lot. 

But it's still really hard for me to justify the idea of paying him $15M a year.  We have Horford on $27M or so, Hayward pretty much on $30m.  At some point we are going to need to throw a max at Kyrie, so that will be another $30m deal, putting us at about $87M / $99M (88% of the cap) cap taken up by three guys.

We have a LOT of young prospects on rookie contracts, most notably Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum - who both have a lot of potential.  If you give $15M a year to Smart then we have literally our entire salary cap absorbed by four players.  How far can you go with a core of Kyrie, Smart, Hayward and Horford when you don't have the cap space to put much talent around them? 

And if we do it, how does that offect our ability to potentially give  a contract to Brown / Tatum later down the line if one (or both) has a breakout year?

Like I said I'm loving this new Smart, but I still need to be convinced he's good enough (and consistent enough) to be a permanent starter on a contender before I can justify throwing that type of money at him.  And I'll also need to see a little more of him then just 3 or 4 exhibition games to be convinced that this new Marcus Smart isn't just a result of him playing against lesser competition.

Several Good points. He could be a starter or 6th, salaries for those spots are close. Contenders will all have 3 max players, right?  So under cap rules are the 4th-6th players each getting $10-15M?  That's about $130 for the top 6.  So what's the total to field a contender?  Holy smokes

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:26 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
A trade to Utah with the Laker/Sac pick for Rudy Gobert sorta value

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?