Author Topic: Golden State best team ever?  (Read 1161 times)

Golden State best team ever?
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Is this the best collection of talent ever put together? I think so. They have 4 premier players and 2 of the top 3 players in the league.

Other potential best teams:

60's Celtics
MJ's Bulls
80's Celtics
80's Lakers
Duncan's Spurs
Kobe's Lakers
Lebron's Heat

Re: Golden State best team ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:42:26 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Is this the best collection of talent ever put together? I think so. They have 4 premier players and 2 of the top 3 players in the league.

60's Celtics
MJ's Bulls
80's Celtics
80's Lakers
Duncan's Spurs
Kobe's Lakers
Lebron's Heat

I'd say they are... although I don't think Curry is a top 3 player in the league (James, Durant, Leonard). The problem is it's almost impossible to judge different eras just on the basis of the way the cap is now and how easy players can move around now in comparison to the past. I also believe that no top 1-5 talent in NBA history would have done what Durant did in joining a fierce rival in his prime.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:14:19 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

60's Celtics
MJ's Bulls
80's Celtics
80's Lakers
Duncan's Spurs
Kobe's Lakers
Lebron's Heat

You're leaving out the '67 Sixers, led by Chamberlain, Jackson et al. They beat a top Celtics team and set the record for wins at the time.

The Minneapolis Lakers from the 40s-early 50s with Mikan (Bill Russell's idol), Pollard, Leonard et al were the dominant team of their era.

I think the best Celtics team I've seen was the late 50s-early 60s, with Russell, Heinsohn, Cousy, Sharman, Ramsay, Havlicek, etc. They later added KC & Sam Jones, and Satch Sanders. They were deeper teams than the Bird era teams.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

60's Celtics
MJ's Bulls
80's Celtics
80's Lakers
Duncan's Spurs
Kobe's Lakers
Lebron's Heat

Duncan's Spurs and Lebron's Heat would (or more accurately, could) not beat this Warriors team, IMHO.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:51:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I can't think of another time in the last 50 years where one team was so far ahead of the rest of the competition as GSW is today over the next best team(s) today.

The gap is so large ... it is ridiculous. Terrible for competition. The league is very dull right now.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I can't think of another time in the last 50 years where one team was so far ahead of the rest of the competition as GSW is today over the next best team(s) today.

The gap is so large ... it is ridiculous. Terrible for competition. The league is very dull right now.

I would strongly disagree.
We have experienced the most thrilling offseason, since...ever, and I credit GSW for that. It is not a coincidence. We as 1st seed returned just 4 players. That never happened before. 1999 Bulls and such don't count here since they were nosediving and not getting better longterm as we did
If GSW weren't that good, best team ever IMO, other teams wouldn't scrap and grind as hard to catch them. Remember those title teams with "just" one Superstar. that was possible back then.
Higher quality of the competition creates a higher level of competence, it always will. DA would probably satisfy himself and us with less. He wouldn't offer 4 picks for Charlottes 1 pick today, but before GSW became a powerhouse (champion, dynasty) I guess it made sense.
And the bigger they are, the bigger they fall. If we do manage to knock them out in the next 3 or 4 years, it would be a title to cherish forever. Beating the best team ever.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Best team I ever witnessed was the 1986 Celtics.  It was like a well-oiled machine with parts that fit perfectly.

There were other great teams too like the 1967 76ers and some really great Laker teams like the one that won 33 in a row.

No team ever won it all with just one superstar.  Ever.  It's always 2 or preferably 3.

People either have short memories or are just too young.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Best team I ever witnessed was the 1986 Celtics.  It was like a well-oiled machine with parts that fit perfectly.

There were other great teams too like the 1967 76ers and some really great Laker teams like the one that won 33 in a row.

No team ever won it all with just one superstar.  Ever.  It's always 2 or preferably 3.

I assure you I am older than 6 :)
2011 Dirk, the last to do it.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Best team I ever witnessed was the 1986 Celtics.

Agree and they played against some great teams in that era.   The league really does not have it today to the same extent.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I can't believe that OP has Kobe's Lakers in the best teams ever top 7 selection.
I assume we are talking 2009-2010 period since they were Shaq's Lakers (stronger team IMO) before that. Anyway, Kobes Lakers can't sniff that list, so please remove them, it spikes my eyes. Thank you.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I assure you I am older than 6 :)
2011 Dirk, the last to do it.
Fair enough, and they beat a LBJ-Miami team so I will always be grateful to Dirk for that.