Author Topic: Sixers & Embiid Agree to 5 Year/$148 Million Extension  (Read 7701 times)

Re: Sixers & Embiid Agree to 5 Year/$148 Million Extension
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Shams now reporting only about half the $ is guaranteed, but the contract could also rise to $178 mill if the supermax conditions are met. Substantially less risk for Philly in that case.
Apparently that tweet has been deleted.

Interesting, that did seem like a lot of nonguaranteed $. Have to wait and see I guess.

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Shams now reporting only about half the $ is guaranteed, but the contract could also rise to $178 mill if the supermax conditions are met. Substantially less risk for Philly in that case.
Apparently that tweet has been deleted.

Interesting, that did seem like a lot of nonguaranteed $. Have to wait and see I guess.
Lowe reported that it might be the most complex extension in NBA history.  I'd expect multiple layers of protection for the Sixers depending on Embiid's playing time.  Embiid will have opportunity for 30%Max if he earns MVP, DPOY or all-NBA. 

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If an injured Embiid gets 5/148... Isaiah may have no problem securing the max elsewhere LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I was wondering what they'd do with Embiid. He seems like someone who's bought into the 76ers and their method of building a championship team after calling himself "The Process". I almost thought he'd command a slightly more team friendly contract.

Sixers have no choice. Embiid is a rare talent, gotta roll the dice on someone like him. If not them, someone else will.

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
He will either be Ralph Sampson or Hakeem Olajuwon. Gotta take the gamble if he has any chance of being Olajuwon though.

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
NBA GMs have to be at least half gamblers!

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
im pretty sure hes played less games than Greg Oden did over his first three seasons

That is true, but I don't believe Oden ever played at the level Embiid did at any time in his short career.
This is link to Embiid's stats...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/embiijo01.html

This is a link for Oden's stats.... 
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/odengr01.html

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Keep on seeing people say it's only half guaranteed. Is that confirmed/true? I don't see anything from Woj etc about that.

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This is a tough situation for Philly - [dang]ed if you do, [dang]ed if you don't. 

If they don't give him the max extension somebody will certainly give him a max dea, and if he somehow gets healthy and becomes a top 5 center then they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

If they do give him the extension and he plays 30 games in the next 2 seasons, it'll look like the worst move ever.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in their place.   

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Keep on seeing people say it's only half guaranteed. Is that confirmed/true? I don't see anything from Woj etc about that.

See above - Shams Charamia who works at Woj's old group tweeted that it was half guaranteed but has since deleted it.

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

See above - Shams Charamia who works at Woj's old group tweeted that it was half guaranteed but has since deleted it.
IF he did, he's since deleted it

And for our resident capologists: is that even allowed to do that with incentives in a max deal?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:09:45 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Tough spot for Philly to be in, but my hunch is that Embiid will go the Ralph Sampson route. I just can't see how a guy of his size, who's already had numerous severe injuries to his lower body, could get healthy and stay healthy.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Seems the only way that makes sense is if the last couple of years are team options, but perhaps there are loopholes in the new CBA that we haven't yet learned about.

As for the deal itself, it seems like something that could have waited until next offseason. If Embiid is amazing and plays almost all games, then giving him the max is a no-brainer; however, if he is injured, and misses most of the season, it seems like they could have saved themselves some money.

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

IF he did, he's since deleted it

You don't say ;D

He definitely did, I saw the tweet myself.

EDIT: This article mentions it, can't find a screenshot though: http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/09/joel-embiid-might-have-the-most-complicated-extension-in-nba-history/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:33:12 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Seems the only way that makes sense is if the last couple of years are team options, but perhaps there are loopholes in the new CBA that we haven't yet learned about.

As for the deal itself, it seems like something that could have waited until next offseason. If Embiid is amazing and plays almost all games, then giving him the max is a no-brainer; however, if he is injured, and misses most of the season, it seems like they could have saved themselves some money.

Part of me agrees- I don't see him playing close to 82 games.

The other part thinks that Philly is not a top destination, and if Embiid reaches his potential, why would he want to stay there? It's an organization that lacks a sense of urgency to win.