Author Topic: Aldridge saying we are getting close in Smart extension  (Read 13405 times)

Re: Aldridge saying we are getting close in Smart extension
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Marcus Smart, Boston Celtics: Smart has been a significant part of Boston’s rotation for three seasons, though he’s only started 72 of the 207 games in which he’s played. And he’ll come off the bench again this season behind Kyrie Irving. No longer needing to save up to re-sign Isaiah Thomas, the Celtics almost certainly will get something done with Smart, maybe along the lines of what Toronto gave Terrence Ross. Like Smart, Ross was a lottery pick -- in 2012 -- and as part of the Raptors’ rotation before being traded to Orlando last season. He got three years and $33 million from Toronto in 2015; Smart will probably get more per year.

That's Aldridge speculating, not news.

Change the thread title.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
No longer needing to save up to re-sign Isaiah Thomas, the Celtics almost certainly will get something done with Smart, maybe along the lines of what Toronto gave Terrence Ross. Like Smart, Ross was a lottery pick -- in 2012 -- and as part of the Raptors’ rotation before being traded to Orlando last season. He got three years and $33 million from Toronto in 2015; Smart will probably get more per year.

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 01:46:53 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Smart said Ainge called today to say, "he'd get back to us. But he hasn't given us any numbers (re: an extension)."  Deadline is Monday.

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Adam Kaufman‏Verified account @AdamMKaufman

Danny Ainge told @NBCSBoston he and Marcus Smart's agent have started discussing numbers regarding a possible contract extension. #Celtics

#progress

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If we get a similar percentage of the cap to the ross contract (aka 13-15 mil a year now) for Smart, I'm doing backflips. In a world where Evan Turner gets what he got, I'm absolutely fine with Smart for that number.

The thing is this isn't actually the same world as when Evan Turner got his contract. the cap is expanding much slower, there's not nearly as much money in the league.

Correct.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we get a similar percentage of the cap to the ross contract (aka 13-15 mil a year now) for Smart, I'm doing backflips. In a world where Evan Turner gets what he got, I'm absolutely fine with Smart for that number.

The thing is this isn't actually the same world as when Evan Turner got his contract. the cap is expanding much slower, there's not nearly as much money in the league.

Correct.

Only sort of correct.  It’s still expanding healthily — cap will increase around 10% over the next two seasons, which was the same projected increase as the summer when Turner signed.  There isn’t the big bump that created so many teams flush with cap space, but there will be available money next summer for some teams to spend, and the free agent pool might dry up more quickly than some think.

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I hope we do something like we did with Rondo back in a day. Bit below market, but promised big role/minutes.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I hope we do something like we did with Rondo back in a day. Bit below market, but promised big role/minutes.

Below market, with trade bonus and million dollar all NBA defense bonus, dpoy bonus, championship bonus.

Done.

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well if an extension is going to happen it better happen fast. October 16th deadline is almost upon us.

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Correct.

Only sort of correct.  It’s still expanding healthily — cap will increase around 10% over the next two seasons, which was the same projected increase as the summer when Turner signed.  There isn’t the big bump that created so many teams flush with cap space, but there will be available money next summer for some teams to spend, and the free agent pool might dry up more quickly than some think.

Yes the cap is still increasing at a healthy rate, but that rate is most definitively not the same as the rate the summer turner signed. That summer that cap went from 70 million the year before to 94 million that summer and increase of 34%! Last summer it went from 94 million to 99 million an increase of just over 5%. Next year the cap is projected at 108 million so a 1 year increase of 6%. The 2016 offseason was a clear outlier. Forget % increase though, look at the total money available and total bidding teams. I haven't done the math, but guys like Dany Leorux and Nate Duncan have and they project something like 300-400 million in cap space this coming summer, as opposes to 1 billion the year Evan Turner signed. Its also worth noting that the money is concentration around 4-6 teams as opposed to 2016 when closer to 20 had significant cap space. This means that Smarts suitors will be narrowly defined generally among very bad teams, not all of which will even need a Pg, and most of which will focus on UFA's first. All of this doesn't mean Smart won't get a suitor, all it takes is one, but the odds are in the Celtics favor.

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
here comes a brink truck....

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Correct.

Yes the cap is still increasing at a healthy rate, but that rate is most definitively not the same as the rate the summer turner signed. That summer that cap went from 70 million the year before to 94 million that summer and increase of 34%! Last summer it went from 94 million to 99 million an increase of just over 5%. Next year the cap is projected at 108 million so a 1 year increase of 6%. The 2016 offseason was a clear outlier. Forget % increase though, look at the total money available and total bidding teams. I haven't done the math, but guys like Dany Leorux and Nate Duncan have and they project something like 300-400 million in cap space this coming summer, as opposes to 1 billion the year Evan Turner signed. Its also worth noting that the money is concentration around 4-6 teams as opposed to 2016 when closer to 20 had significant cap space. This means that Smarts suitors will be narrowly defined generally among very bad teams, not all of which will even need a Pg, and most of which will focus on UFA's first. All of this doesn't mean Smart won't get a suitor, all it takes is one, but the odds are in the Celtics favor.
Next year's cap projection is only 101M.  The following year is when it is projected to be 108M. 

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Correct.

Philly will make a long and large offer. He fits a need there for defense. .

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Correct.

They might, but there are guys ahead of him. Avery Bradley and KCP will both likely receive offers from Phili before they get to Smart. They are looking for a starting 2 guard who can play off the ball, not smarts strength. Lakers will be looking at bigger names, Nets have a PG in Russel and some decent back court prospects but maybe. Bull are the one to watch for, but again they will throw money at every other UFA first.

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Correct.

Very doubtful.  They don't need a poor shooter on the court with Simmons.  They have Covington for perimeter defense.