Author Topic: Aldridge saying we are getting close in Smart extension  (Read 13402 times)

Re: Aldridge saying we are getting close in Smart extension
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Here are the rookie contract extensions from last year:

C.J. McCollum (Trail Blazers): Four years, $106,633,450 (story)
Steven Adams (Thunder): Four years, $100,000,000 (story)
Giannis Antetokounmpo (Bucks): Four years, $100,000,000 (story)
Rudy Gobert (Jazz): Four years, $94,000,000 (story)
Victor Oladipo (Thunder): Four years, $84,000,000 (story)
Gorgui Dieng (Timberwolves): Four years, $62,800,000 (story)
Dennis Schroder (Hawks): Four years, $62,000,000 (story)
Cody Zeller (Hornets): Four years, $55,625,000 (story)

I thinking that it will be between 62 mil and 84 mil.

Don't forget Gary Harris just got 4 years, $84 million.

If I had to guess, I'd say 4 years, $70 mil would be reasonably fair for both sides and if a final deal is agreed upon it will be within +/- 10 mil of that, which is in the same ballpark as what you said.

GH was actually "only" 74 million guaranteed

Harris’ $74 million guaranteed changes it to $18.5 million per year. My understanding is the incentives to get it to $84 are STEEP.

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/917051135164157952

Ahh, thanks for sharing that, TP
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 06:08:29 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart has the most replaceable skill-set on the team.  Let him walk if he demands anymore than 8 million a year.

Brad has never struggled to pull backup pointguards out of thin air, and Danny has never struggled to identify defensive guards with good hustle in the draft.

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Does anyone really believe Smart will get an extension?
Personally, I think he's WAY overrated- awful shot selection, no real moves, but yes, an excellent defender though too aggressive/borderline dirty and refs don't like him. I'd get rid of him.
BUT- to the fans who do like him- haven't you seen Ainge over the years with his revolving door and his constant trading? As soon as a player is due to be paid what he's worth it's see you later. And then of course the bs from Ainge about how much he loved the player, what a difficult decision it was, blah blah blah.
Fan for 50 years, but I've lost interest until Ainge is gone.

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Smart has the most replaceable skill-set on the team.  Let him walk if he demands any more than 8 million a year.

Brad has never struggled to pull a backup point guard out of thin air, and Danny has never struggled to identify defensive guards with good hustle in the draft.

Smart is by far our best defender, and even further, our best perimeter defender. So it is not just a backup PG question. Guy defends 3,5 positions. Also, after losing our 2 good/great perimeter defenders last offseason, I think Marcus is safe.

After a lot of thought this past year, bouncing his next salary from 8 to 20 mil per, I would be happy with him getting a 54-56 mil deal for 4 years. Ok, with 62/4. It is a starters money, I know it is much, but I think he pays that back with his play in the next 4 years.
He gets his safety, a bit below of what I think next years market will be, plays on a contender and is respected by the fans and media.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:19:39 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Personally, I think he's WAY overrated- awful shot selection, no real moves, but yes, an excellent defender though too aggressive/borderline dirty and refs don't like him. I'd get rid of him.
BUT- to the fans who do like him- haven't you seen Ainge over the years with his revolving door and his constant trading? As soon as a player is due to be paid what he's worth it's see you later. And then of course the bs from Ainge about how much he loved the player, what a difficult decision it was, blah blah blah.
Well don't let the screen door hit you on the way out.   ;D

Smart is a getting an extension and it is well-deserved.  He is the leader on the 2nd unit right now and he impacts the game in many ways other than shooting, though even his shot looks better after losing all that weight, and he drives to the rim too.

Smart has the most replaceable skill-set on the team.  Let him walk if he demands anymore than 8 million a year.
Huh?  Smart is a unique player with unique skills and HEART.  After parting with Crowder and Bradley, this team can't afford to lose Smart on the defensive end.  He is bargain at 12 million/year in today's market.

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
My guess is 20+

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 08:07:58 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Why are you still here?

You think a GM cannot love a player and trade him at the same time? These things happen all the time. The GMs get paid to do their job, and if that job includes trading favorites, then they will do it or lose their job.

I can't believe these kind of people exists smh.

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Keeping Evan Turner for $17M/yr or even KO at $12.5M/yr would have totally screwed up our cap. Smart is in a different situation since we are already going to be over the cap and can keep him for whatever DA thinks he is worth.

However, if some team throws him a huge offer sheet, then it is very likely we won't match. As much of a leader Smart is of the 2nd unit, he is still in the 2nd unit (at least on our team) and we can't be paying [major] repeater tax dollars unless the player(s) to who we are paying big money make us legit championship contenders.

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
bottom line for me is that Smart needs to be on this team long term.

At the end of games he has proven to be a game changing. Outside of the games elite top ten talents their is not another player I would want on the court in the final 2 min of a close game.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Can we change the thread title at this point?

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah I think this is just clickbait.

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Yeah I think this is just clickbait.

KGLL owes us an explanation.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:49 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/09/morning-tip-extensions-2014-draft-picks-andrew-wiggins-jabari-parker-joel-embiid#/
Here is the link in question. There is a great site called NBA.com.

Thank you for finally providing any link in which Aldridge discusses Smart. However, it says nothing in the article that would lead to the thread title.