Author Topic: Lowe: Celtics are a Tier 3 Team with A-/B+ Max Players  (Read 7372 times)

Lowe: Celtics are a Tier 3 Team with A-/B+ Max Players
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20960590/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-tiers-ratings

Tier 1: GSW

Tier 2: CLE, OKC, HOU and SAS

Tier 3: BOS, WIZ, TOR

Personally, I feel that by the end of the season, we will be as good as CLE, and better than HOU and SAS. 

I just don't know what to expect from OKC.  They could be great, or a disaster.

Re: Lowe: Celtics are a Tier 3 Team with A-/B+ Max Players
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20960590/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-tiers-ratings

Personally, I feel that by the end of the season, we will be as good as CLE, and better than HOU and SAS. 

I just don't know what to expect from OKC.  They could be great, or a disaster.

Our depth will come in to play dictating where we end up on this list.  Tier1 is GSW and no one else.  I believe the C's are at the end of Tier2 or below in Tier3 by themselves with the rest in Tier4 and below.  The C's, IMO are above and beyond those teams and if Tatum and Brown show and a few of the depth players give the C's a strong 2nd unit they are definitely in Tier2.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think we stand a chance at beating Cleveland in the playoffs. Not a great chance, but it wouldn't be insane if we did.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I can see his reasoning because Tatum and Brown are two of our top 6 most talented players, and they are unproven. However, I believe both will rise to fill their roles effectively this season, which will slot us in solidly with that tier 2 group.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO the Celtics are a Tier 2 1/2 team.

By mid-season and barring injury, of course, the C's will be knocking on the door of tier 2.

While Tor and the Wiz will remain tier 3 teams.

And honestly, I'm not sure Hou and OKC are solid tier 2 teams.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Who besides Leonard does SAS have that is worth mentioning, as a player?

Aldridge? No.
Tony Parker?
Ginobli?

People are banking on them because, somehow, someway, Coach Pop gets the most out of what he has. 

I think Stevens should get more credit as well for how quickly he can put a team together, make it jell.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see Lowe's reasoning. Every team in tier 1 and 2 have a top 6 player in the league with Golden State having 2. Also, I believe all those teams have proven depth, the Celtics do not. Now if everything gels for the Celtics and they get starter level play from Tatum and Brown and rotational level play from a couple of other rookies, the Cs could be tier 2 by season's end.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I think this is pretty much right, given how new and unproven everyone on this Celtics team is.

But I do think that they're at the top of tier 3 and I think, as others have said, by the end of the season they'll have proven themselves a tier 2 team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd elevate Boston to Tier 2, and elevate Cleveland to Tier 1.5.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I would move the Celtics into tier 2, but overall it's a fair assessment because it looks like he's just evaluating players individually instead of evaluating it like us factoring in the Stevens effect + Smart's contagious ability to rip souls out of opponents.

Btw, you-know-who is Davis, which I believe should be the focal point of a free agency signing after Horford comes off the books (or stays on as a vet min -- please!). I don't see the point at all in trading for him because A) he's not available and never will be B) it's going to cost half the roster.

And honestly, I'm not sure Hou and OKC are solid tier 2 teams.

I have no doubt that OKC is. Their roster is stacked. Westbrook, Roberson (underrated), Anthony, George, Adams (great big). I'm so happy that they're in the West. I think that they have the best chance in beating the Warriors in the playoffs.

The Rockets may not be a tier 2 team because I'm not entirely sure how Paul fits into the Houston Hardens.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:04:14 PM by Erik »

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I see Lowe's reasoning. Every team in tier 1 and 2 have a top 6 player in the league with Golden State having 2. Also, I believe all those teams have proven depth, the Celtics do not. Now if everything gels for the Celtics and they get starter level play from Tatum and Brown and rotational level play from a couple of other rookies, the Cs could be tier 2 by season's end.
I think you have to call Smart, Morris and Baynes pretty high quality proven rotation players. Tatum as a #3 choice in the mix does qualify as unproven, but highly likely to provide some value, especially towards the end of the year. Rozier is also unproven but is also more likely than not to be useful.

I do agree though, that ultimately, the C's need a couple of guys to develop over the year to be truly dangerous. I think in particular, if Yabusele evolves into a quality rotation guy, it would make a major difference.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not sure I see any reason to quibble with Lowe's assessment.

Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford are all top 30-40 players in the league, but unless / until Kyrie turns into a much better defender and leader, he's not really close to a top 10 player.  Hayward and Horford are classic supporting All-Star types.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd elevate Boston to Tier 2, and elevate Cleveland to Tier 1.5.

Think I agree here, moreso about Cleveland. I think this season the Celts will be a tier 2.5 team with a chance to beat Cleveland due to chemistry, new faces and Brown and Tatum needed more development. I put them fully in tier 2 next season.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
OKC is a joke. They aren’t a tier above us. Has he even looked at their bench or is he infatuated with he repetitive bs “they have 2 or 3 hall of famers “

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

This is great fodder for debate, which is the whole point I guess.  I have no problem with CLE and HOU being a tier above the Celtics (and of course GSW).  Cleveland will be fine.  They have some new pieces but will come together.  Houston was already really good and now they add Chris Paul.  They are right there.  As for OKC, they have added two key new pieces (George and Anthony) which changes the team quite a bit but they will probably figure it out.

I think SAS will be down in Tier 3 with the others.  Pop is great but they just don't have the horses anymore.  Still a good team, just not tier 2 good.

We shall see.