Poll

do you prefer NBA keeping it the way it is or changing the playoffs

Keep it the way it is
33 (76.7%)
Scrap east/west conferences and go with 1-16 playoffs
10 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: NBA considering scrapping East/West conferences and going to 1-16 playoffs  (Read 5735 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20957734/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-discusses-playoff-reseeding

"Reformatting the playoffs is something we'll continue to look at," Adam Silver said. "I think though it would require revisiting the regular-season schedule as well. As I've said before, we don't play a balanced schedule now, as I'm sure you know. And for those that don't, that means that teams in the East play each other more than they play teams in the West. And our feeling is, if we were going to seed 1-16, we would need to play a balanced schedule to make it fair for everyone if we were going to seed 1-16 in the playoffs. It may be that as we continue to experiment with the number of days over which we can schedule 82 games that it will create more of an opportunity for a balanced schedule."

Stephen Curry said he'd enjoy playing in a postseason that included the 16 best teams in the league, regardless of their conference, which is a sentiment many other players have expressed

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I can’t see why any East team ownership would vote for such a plan.

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I could be down for some kind of restructuring that eliminated conferences and made divisions more important. Either 5 teams in a division, 6 divisions or more likely with expansion 4 teams in a division, 8 divisions.

It would lead to 6 or 8 division winners getting the top seeds in order and the remaining 8 or 10 spots going out to the non- division winners in order. Not a pure 1-16, but closer while maintaining division rivalries.

I can see the owners getting behind something like this a lot more easily than a pure 1-16 playoffs.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Means the Cavs will have to be competitive as best as they can.

And bad for the Celtics if they have to face the very tough Western Conference foes. I like the 1-8 seed format for now.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Nor should the Lakers.

I can't imagine the Celtics and Lakers playing each other in the 1st round would go over very well with either fan base.  That would feel very cheap, and would put a tarnish on their rivalry.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I hate the idea. The East was better in the 80’s and 90’s, the West better in the 00’s and 10’s. It happens. Conferences can have powerhouses for awhile. That’s not uncommon.

I don’t see the need to overreact and eliminate conference finals in favor of a final four.

I don’t like (nor do I really care) the all-star reformatting, but messing with the playoffs is too much for me.

I like Silver, but this would be a severe overstep.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
So, we'd have one big league with no conferences and no divisions?  Sounds awful to me.  Enough tinkering, Adam Silver. 

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The Celtics certainly shouldn't. We have set up, at the least, our next 5 years of the wide open, Lebronless East.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't like the idea of a full 1-16 seeding. The volatility of player movement in that scenario could really impact areas of the league. The current system mitigates the effects of that. However I do think the league could move closer to that system and also reduce the size of the schedule effectively.

If the league expands by 2 teams, 4 'conferences' of 8 teams would work nicely. Have the top 2 seeds from each conference guarantee a top 8 seed and then fill the final 8 with the best records across the league.

It's a happy medium for the regular season as well. Currently divisions mean nothing, in a straight 1-16 seeding conferences mean nothing either and the regular season is just an incredibly long slog.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yuck.

Re: NBA considering scrapping East/West conferences and going to 1-16 playoffs
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I hate the idea. The East was better in the 80’s and 90’s, the West better in the 00’s and 10’s. It happens. Conferences can have powerhouses for awhile. That’s not uncommon.

I don’t see the need to overreact and eliminate conference finals in favor of a final four.

I don’t like (nor do I really care) the all-star reformatting, but messing with the playoffs is too much for me.

I like Silver, but this would be a severe overstep.

I agree, tp, this is a really shortsighted proposal - the West won't be better forever. I am just not sure what this does except appease good teams in the West right now. I feel this will just deteriorate a sense of identity which has already begun with the stupid All-Star game (something they tried in the NFL Pro-Bowl and have already scrapped).

Making teams travel even more across conferences is also a terrible idea. Of course they would need to balance the schedule if something like this happened, but teams on the coasts would really get screwed by the additional travel time.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
sucks .....like Nascar fiddling too much with their sport , basically has helped ruin it . 

I see issue ,  I keep hearing ablut crying west is stronger , i could care less , its like global warming a bunch of knee jerk , we got to react to every scare or change .

I hope they just leave it be.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Let's see, 23 votes needed to pull this off and 15 teams in the East, hmmm.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is the league's answer for a lot of talent fleeing West.   It is a pretty crappy one.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would be awful.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team