Author Topic: Should Celtics not be worried about Bucks, Wizards and Raptors before Cavs?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It appears to me that we Celtics fans have been spoiled by the unexpected success of last year to the point that when we talk now, we only talk about the Cavs as though we have separated ourselves from Washington (that we barely beat), Raptors (that had injury problems), and a surging Bucks team in Milwaukee.

Usually, the attitude we have is reserved for a team that is sitting atop the competition and fighting off challengers. I am not sure that we have reached that spot yet. Some may argue that our realistic position is still that of one of in a herd of challengers fighting to unseat the undisputed champion (the Cavs). In this endeavor, the task of getting through other challengers to get the spot as the undisputed #2 can be more gruelling than actually taking on the champion.

This is why I believe that we should concern ourselves more with getting through the crop of challengers than assuming we have already done that with Cleveland being our only obstacle. As long as we are not champions yet, we must first separate ourselves from the herd.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Those teams are pretenders. Kelly freaking olynyk dropped almost 30 on the wizards. Imagine what Hayward and Irving will do to them if we meet again. The bucks pieces don't fit together very well.  Raptors never impressed me.

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I'm not too worried. The C's may have some chemistry issues to work out with so many new faces, but barring any injuries, I don't see why the C's won't get to the ECF again.

Bucks aren't there yet.

The C's have shown they can beat a big 3 of Wall-Beal-Porter (a series that could've just as easily ended in 6 if Wall's 3 bounced the wrong way).

The Raptors would be interesting if healthy but Lowry is notorious for having bad postseasons and with the addition of Baynes and Theis, I feel as though the C's could match up better with an Ibaka-Valanciunis front court than in the past.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nope.

We matched up really badly with the wizards last year - a roster with two big, athletic, high scoring guards and two strong, physical, rebounding bigs was effectively the worst possible match-up. for a Celtics team that had a backcourt of IT/AB and a frontcourt of Amir/Horford...and we still beat them.  This year we match up much better against them with our bigger backcourt and physical frontcourt (Morris, Baynes, Theis) - we should have them.

The Raptors have never shown any indication of being contenders in the east.  Lowry and Derozan could be the most u-clutch stars in the entire NBA, and neither has the attitude of a winner / closer.  Come playoff time they don't really worry me at all.

The Bucks struggled to make the playoffs last year and haven't really added anybody.  They have talent, but have yet to shown they are capable of making the most of it.

The East playoffs are the Celtics to lose up until the ECF.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:44:45 PM by crimson_stallion »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Sure we should, but I'd have to think we're more talented than those teams.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We should be better than those teams, but we also should totally concern ourselves with them. While those teams have limited potential to improve, they currently have a lot more cohesiveness and proven talent.

We weren't better than they were last year - just even - the addition of Hayward alone should solidly put us in 2nd place, but to just look past them would be a mistake. We aren't so awesome that we can act like contenders without putting forth full effort.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
idk I actually fear the Wizards a little bit, they pretty much kept that team intact, while we basically rebuilt the entire team, sure we got Irving and Hayward but I am unsure how fast this team can gel...Besides the Cavs, I think i fear the Wizards the most

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We should be better than those teams, but we also should totally concern ourselves with them. While those teams have limited potential to improve, they currently have a lot more cohesiveness and proven talent.

We weren't better than they were last year - just even - the addition of Hayward alone should solidly put us in 2nd place, but to just look past them would be a mistake. We aren't so awesome that we can act like contenders without putting forth full effort.

Not sure either of those three has more proven talent then Boston does with Kyrie, Hayward, Morris and Horford in the starting 5.

More chemistry sure, but people made Boston the underdogs in 2008 because of Chemistry concerns, and they went ahead and won a title.  Not expecting that same result, but chemistry being an issue not a given.  A possibility yes, but not a given. 

The team I'd be most worried about of those would probably be the Wizards, but I really think we stack up very well against hem this year - I don't think they'll have the firepower to beat us. 

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston is pretty clearly the 2nd best team in the East this season, but if the Bucks progress like they should, I think everyone should fear them in the playoffs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Boston is pretty clearly the 2nd best team in the East this season, but if the Bucks progress like they should, I think everyone should fear them in the playoffs.

Agree with big Mo, here.  I got the Celts in the ECF, but Fear the Deer. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
why should the bucks progress? Their pieces don't fit together. Brogdon and Greek freak are ok but parker doesn't play well with them

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
Worried about them? No.

Prepared as all get out with different schemes for each? Yes.

If the ECF isn't Boston and Cleveland then whoever it is will be viewed as over-achievers and it would be a disappointing season for either of us if we don't get there.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd worry about every team because this one is the least tested.

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Bucks are a big question mark and the Raptors are paper tigers.  Wizards should be really good again, but really all eyes should be at the #1 spot.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It's going to be a different season when you get everybody's best shot. Expectations are high now, Celtics will not creep up on anyone.