Poll

Should Celtics Blog abandon the current Tommy Points system?

Yes, they may have been cool at one time. Now they are passé.
6 (8.6%)
No, I love Tommy Points.... especially for well thought out, clever or interesting posts?
47 (67.1%)
It makes no difference to me. I could live with or without them.
17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: October 18, 2017, 01:21:35 PM

Author Topic: Should we abandon Tommy Points?  (Read 3691 times)

Should we abandon Tommy Points?
« on: October 08, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Noticed Tommy Points are being given out less and less on Celtics Blog. Often times, even well thought out Blog postings are not getting credited. (I'm guilty of this myself.)

Maybe we're suffering from Tommy Point fatigue. Anyone else feel the same? 

Re: Should we abandon Tommy Points?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
idk seems like you'r on a decent ratio

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
the game threads engender quite a few tps. and i pass them out fairly often.

if you, meaning the OP here, find them passe then by all means do not use them. for me? i find them quite enjoyable to both give and receive.

they also make cb a bit distinctive from other sites.

so, i am certainly in favor of keeping them.

OP, by the way, your options are a bit oddly worded. for anyone wanting to keep tps, they have to respond with a negative answer. but, you still get a tp from me.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

if you, meaning the OP here, find them passe then by all means do not use them. for me? i find them quite enjoyable to both give and receive.

OP, by the way, your options are a bit oddly worded. for anyone wanting to keep tps, they have to respond with a negative answer. but, you still get a tp from me.  ;D

Wasn't aware they were commonly used in game thread posts. (I generally don't view them as I often watch games later on DVR.)

I like them too. Just doesn't seem as much interest in them as there once was.

Thanks for making me aware of the awkwardly worded options. Will try to keep that in mind next time I start a poll.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
You can pry my Tommy Points from my cold banned fingers.

Kidding aside, I reward funny or insightful comments with TPs all the time.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Wasn't aware they were commonly used in game thread posts. (I generally don't view them as I often watch games later on DVR.)

Thanks for making me aware of the awkwardly worded options. Will try to keep that in mind next time I start a poll.
for the game threads, yep. when the celtics win lots of folks pass them out in celebration.

tps are fun. no need to join in if they are not for you. that is perfectly fine. and another tp for you, by the way.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:48:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Some people's standards for giving TPs are different. But everyone likes to get them. So they have value.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 02:56:38 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I like them, but I don't really understand how they work.

Some times posters get them for insightful comments. Some of us gambled them on game seven against Washington last year. Lots of them seem to be handed out in game threads, but I usually only read those before and after games as my television is my computer monitor and I can't watch the game and be on Celtics Blog at the same time.

Is there some place on the site where they are explained and I simply missed it, or is it a tradition that you figure out as you go?

Where do they come from? Are they a finite resource (giving them takes away from your total) or an infinite resource (you get a Tommy Point, and you get a Tommy Point, everyone gets a Tommy Point?)

I feel like I should ask these questions because if I don't know after a year then guests and new members are probably also lost and could use an answer.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I like them, but I don't really understand how they work.

Some times posters get them for insightful comments. Some of us gambled them on game seven against Washington last year. Lots of them seem to be handed out in game threads, but I usually only read those before and after games as my television is my computer monitor and I can't watch the game and be on Celtics Blog at the same time.

Is there some place on the site where they are explained and I simply missed it, or is it a tradition that you figure out as you go?

Where do they come from? Are they a finite resource (giving them takes away from your total) or an infinite resource (you get a Tommy Point, and you get a Tommy Point, everyone gets a Tommy Point?)

I feel like I should ask these questions because if I don't know after a year then guests and new members are probably also lost and could use an answer.

You have infinite TPs to give my friend. It does not affect your own. Only rule is 1 tp per hour to the Same poster. I'm giving you a TP for your question.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
TP's for everyone in the tread!

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Blasphemy.

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
When you can reference something in 2 letters and everyone understands how can you go wrong?

TP for you sir!
ok fine

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Is there a way to make each post display the number of TPs it has received? It could keep posters from copying long posts and saying: "This" or "+1". TP to the OP.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
TPs are a fun part of C'sBlog, but it wouldn't matter much to me if they were abandoned.  I do like giving them out for well-written and thoughtful posts.  And for humorous posts.

Is there a way to make each post display the number of TPs it has received? It could keep posters from copying long posts and saying: "This" or "+1". TP to the OP.

Making those kinds of posts are against the forum rules, but they seem to appear fairly often.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

for the game threads, yep. when the celtics win lots of folks pass them out in celebration.

tps are fun. no need to join in if they are not for you. that is perfectly fine. and another tp for you, by the way.  ;D
I generally watch the games on a dvr, but I've always wondered how you guys watch the game and pay attention to the blog at the same time.