Author Topic: Celtics bench is better than the Hawks starting unit  (Read 3100 times)

Celtics bench is better than the Hawks starting unit
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Give me Smart/Rozier/Tatum/Yabusele/Baynes over Shroder/Bazemore/Prince/Ilyasova/Dedmon any day of the week. I may even go as far as to say our 2nd unit is better than the Bulls/Nets starters..

I can't tell if this is a testament to how deep we are or how garbage the east is..either way this team is in very good shape!!!

Re: Celtics bench is better than the Hawks starting unit
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hope so. Will help us get through any inevitable injuries that may crop up.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Give me Smart/Rozier/Tatum/Yabusele/Baynes over Shroder/Bazemore/Prince/Ilyasova/Dedmon any day of the week. I may even go as far as to say our 2nd unit is better than the Bulls/Nets starters..

I can't tell if this is a testament to how deep we are or how garbage the east is..either way this team is in very good shape!!!

I think theis plays a lot more then Yabu but yeah.
Pretty good second unit.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Pretty good second unit.

If both continue to impress, Brad might even prefer a lineup with both of them.  They both space the floor better than Baynes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Pretty good second unit.

If both continue to impress, Brad might even prefer a lineup with both of them. They both space the floor better than Baynes.

So? Have you not seen what Baynes is bringing to the table?

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Pretty good second unit.

If both continue to impress, Brad might even prefer a lineup with both of them. They both space the floor better than Baynes.

Baynes' mid-range jumper is money, he collects rebounds, and does he ever miss free throws? I like what he brings to the table. This spacing for the sake of jacking up threes stuff is overrated.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

Someone's glasses are tinted super green today.
ok fine

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Baynes has been extremely impressive.  I think its going to be difficult to keep him from starting. 
Pretty good second unit.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

How's that??

Illyasova is the only guy on that roster who's starting caliber, and even he could easily be a 6th man on a lot of really good teams.

Who in the Nets / Bulls is better?  Is Lin better then Brown? Maybe.  Is Russell better then Tatum? I don't think so.  It's Robin Lopez better then Haynes? Possibly, if so not by much. It's actually a pretty close call tbh.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Dey tanking it up.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

How's that??

Illyasova is the only guy on that roster who's starting caliber, and even he could easily be a 6th man on a lot of really good teams.

Who in the Nets / Bulls is better?  Is Lin better then Brown? Maybe.  Is Russell better then Tatum? I don't think so.  It's Robin Lopez better then Haynes? Possibly, if so not by much. It's actually a pretty close call tbh.

I guess our opinions of Dennis Schroder and Kent Bazemore are different.
ok fine

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

How's that??

I'm with you.  I think Dennis Schroder is the best player out of those 10 and I don't think it is all that close.  I mean Schroder went for 18/6/3 as the 23 year old starting PG on a 43 win playoff team.  He then went off in the playoffs bumping up to 25/8/2 on very good shooting percentages and was clearly the Hawks best player in that series (ahead of Millsap, Howard, and Hardaway). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I wouldn't disrespect Schroeder's game like that, he is a starting caliber PG.

I think we might be better if we play Smart/Rozier/Tatum/Morris/Theis because Smart or Rozier is going to slow down Schroeder and a Tatum/Morris/Theis frontcourt is likely to give most teams fits.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
not to mention that if we start Smart/Rozier/Tatum/Morris/Theis against their starters we will have the advantage of bringing Irving, Heyward, Horford, Brown, and Baynes off our bench. LOL !!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

How's that??

I'm with you.  I think Dennis Schroder is the best player out of those 10 and I don't think it is all that close.  I mean Schroder went for 18/6/3 as the 23 year old starting PG on a 43 win playoff team.  He then went off in the playoffs bumping up to 25/8/2 on very good shooting percentages and was clearly the Hawks best player in that series (ahead of Millsap, Howard, and Hardaway).

My bad - I admittedly didn't pay much attention to the Hawks later in the season (as they were just not a very eventful team) so I was going off things I saw earlier in the season, and from what I recall Schroeder didn't look all that special.  Looks like he took a big step as the season went on and picked up his game in a big way. 

That said he's still not what I'd consider a game changer on a team that is otherwise filled with guys who are 6th man calibre at best.

Even Bazemore - I've seen him play for a couple of years now, and while he can have the occasional big night, I still feel he would be a second unit guy on most playoff teams.  I mean really - do you see him starting if he was in Cleveland, Boston, Washington, Toronto, Milwaukee?  I don't.

Illsasova is ok, but he's really nothing special. 

I'm not convinced that the trio of Schroeder, Bazemore and Ilyasova is any better then the trio of Smart, Tatum and Brown.