Author Topic: Gary Harris 4 years 84 million  (Read 9457 times)

Re: Gary Harris 4 years 84 million
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, we should basically be preparing for Smart's departure if he is expected to get anywhere near this. I basically agree with everything SL said and am afraid that Marcus is going to show improvement, but not enough to commit $20M+/yr to him. I am not saying he isn't a useful player; he does what he does better than anybody else, but if he isn't even going to be a starter, we can't devote the contract/tax dollars to him.

I am all for him making his jump next year after he signs his new Roberson-like contract or him exploding into a legit All-star max-level Guard - unfortunately, neither of those seem likely. It seems we just have to hope that no bottom-feeder teams offer him big money. Luckily, some of that money is drying up.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We could have drafted him but we took james young
I bet you were preaching the name Garry Harris back then.
So many guys think that the draft should play out with teams picking the best players/careers in the exact 1-60 order. From the best to the worst. When in reality, that is bordering with the immposible.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Funny people comparing Smart to Harris. Dude shots over 50% from the field and 42% from 3.

Marcus does that he's probably worth $20m. He won't so he's not.
ok fine

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Let's slow down a bit. Harris put up 15 ppg last year at 22 years old he also shot .420% from three on 4.5 apg. That's Avery Bradley type production but five years younger.

Let's see if smart can really approach 15 ppg with respectable shooting numbers first. He's looking better no doubt, but still a career .358% From the field and .291% from three for his career.

Exactly. Harris has improved every single year and that improvement has looked to continue this yesr, as he's been running the offense. To me he's a better version of Bradley. He's a much better ball handler, is a better shooter, probably a pinch more athletic, 5 years younger, and has better height (6'4). Bradleys a better perimeter defender, but not by that much.

The problem here is that many haven't seen Harris play much, if at all.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Funny people comparing Smart to Harris. Dude shots over 50% from the field and 42% from 3.

Harris isn't even half the defender Smart is either.  I know people on CB rarely care about defense.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Smart will be extended, but for less than this.  Nuggets are overpaying because they are the Nuggets and Harris is the type of wing, like a Hardaway Jr, that is overhyped in that they are paid like they are pretty much a lock to make the All Star jump.

Smart's defense is All-NBA level and he can pass and handle, his shot is coming into its own.  I am happy to pay him.  I don't think it will be that much.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I think he will / wants to remain a Celtic ....he is the OLD MAN ...most years with team left .....which kinda blows his own mind at 25 .   I believe he likes DA alot and wants to see the gig though to banner 18 .   therefore i think a deal will get done both sides can live with.   

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So many guys think that the draft should play out with teams picking the best players/careers in the exact 1-60 order. From the best to the worst. When in reality, that is bordering with the immposible.

Gary Harris and Rodney Hood were distinct possibilities - even probabilities - in that draft over James Young. Just because Bill Simmons pumped his fist doesn't mean that we all agreed with the selection. I, personally, was quite disappointed we didn't take Hood, and, while he would have been better than Young, I am not sure he puts us over the hump to championship contender.

But, generally, I agree - Monday morning QBing is always annoying. I just think in this case it is absolutely warranted - similar to when we took Giddens over Jordan in '08.

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I don’t like hind sight misgivings either, but, for the record, I was very keen on taking Harris, particularly when he slipped. He was projected to be taken much higher. Loved watching him at Michigan State. Already a good 3 point shooter and played great defense.

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Win some lose some.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think he will / wants to remain a Celtic ....he is the OLD MAN ...most years with team left .....which kinda blows his own mind at 25 .   I believe he likes DA alot and wants to see the gig though to banner 18 .   therefore i think a deal will get done both sides can live with.   

He also just watched this entire team get gutted, most of it via trade. Marcus might like it here but Danny  (as much as I loved his moves this offseason) has shown he won't hesitate to trade key guys. If I'm Marcus, I'm looking at this from a pure business standpoint. I'm not taking a hometown discount just to be traded in a year or two. He will - and absolutely should - go for the most he can at this point.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Okay, Smart is NOT getting 4/80 or what Harris got.

But this deal likely puts his price now at around 4 Years/65-70M.

Before, I'd say it could be approximately 4/56M.

I'd do 4/65M or 4/70M, BUT any 4 year deal of more than 75M+? YIKES.

Frankly, if Smart averages between 13-15 PPG w/great defense and makes more winning plays again with that hustle (as we saw Friday night), he'll be worth the 4/70M.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The way these extensions are going it's looking more sensible to wait with Smart. A lot of teams look like they will have capped themselves out of the market by summer!

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Geeeeeezzzzzz
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Denver also just gave Plumlee a 3year 41M deal.  They now have 113M guaranteed for next season and they still have to give Jokic the Max.  They'll be joining Portland as a mediocre tax paying team.