Author Topic: Gary Harris 4 years 84 million  (Read 9456 times)

Gary Harris 4 years 84 million
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:43:55 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris has reached agreement on a four-year, $84 million contract extension (updated to 74 mill guaranteed with incentives) , league sources told ESPN.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:11:42 PM by matteo »

Re: Gary Harris 4 years 84 million
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris has reached agreement on a four-year, $84 million contract extension, league sources told ESPN.

Wow! That's crazy money...

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We could have drafted him but we took james young

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:55:50 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Well that doesn't help the Smart market. I wouldn't sign for any less than 60 if I were him now.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 10:55:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Well, that's why Marcus Smart hasn't signed a contract yet.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
This probably makes a Smart contact somewhere in the 4 years, 65-70M range now.

I'd still do it, but if it approaches 4/75+, YIKES.  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hardaway Jr suddenly looks like a bargain. Hardaway Jr puts up the same numbers but his contract is $13 mill  less

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:16:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yuck.

This makes Marcus Smart worth $20ish, right?

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Hardaway Jr suddenly looks like a bargain. Hardaway Jr puts up the same numbers but his contract is $13 mill  less

Really? Harris shot 50% from the field and 42% from 3's. Plus, he's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. On yeah, and he just turned 23 a couple of weeks ago.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Contracts like these are why it's so hard to build a championship team. It's also why they had to take away the 7 year contracts. Too many teams don't manager payroll well(cough, cough, Blazers...)

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Really? Harris shot 50% from the field and 42% from 3's. Plus, he's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. On yeah, and he just turned 23 a couple of weeks ago.

Denver needs an infusion of top-end talent. Harris is good, not great. If Denver signs him alone as a slightly overpaid player, then they will be ok. If they decide to do the same with Murray and/or Muddiay, I think they will run into issues. The Jokic/Millsap pairing is awesome, but I think they still need a top guard/wing scorer. I don't think Harris is that guy.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 11:47:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Denver needs an infusion of top-end talent. Harris is good, not great. If Denver signs him alone as a slightly overpaid player, then they will be ok. If they decide to do the same with Murray and/or Muddiay, I think they will run into issues. The Jokic/Millsap pairing is awesome, but I think they still need a top guard/wing scorer. I don't think Harris is that guy.

Mudiay is dangerously close to be labeled a bust, Millsap only has a 2 yr deal, and Murray is going into the second year of his rookie deal. Denver's fine.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think this is the contract that pushes the Celtics to wait for free agency with Smart.  I don’t think the Celtics will be willing to commit to more than $15 million to him next year at this point, given their potential tax situation.  That would put an extention in the $60-66 million range.

If Smart blows up this year and becomes a star, you enjoy the benefit to the team and figure out how to fit the money in next summer (it’s doable if the Lakers pick doesn’t convey).  If he continues to be the useful, non-star player he’s been so far, at best you keep him for the $12-15 million range, and maybe you get a 5th year out of it thanks to Bird rights.  Otherwise you likely get him for one more year at his qualifying offer and avoid the luxury tax for one final season.  Since the Celtics can credibly match most non-max offers, Smart will probably find himself in the same situation as RFA’s did this summer.

The downside is he takes enough of a step forward to command a speculative max offer next summer from another team, without having improved enough for the Celtics to significantly benefit this season.  Dallas is the team to watch for next summer, since they’ll have a lot of money to spend and the hometown connection with Smart.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 01:54:32 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
The downside is he takes enough of a step forward to command a speculative max offer next summer from another team, without having improved enough for the Celtics to significantly benefit this season. 

That seems to be an unlikely downside. If he commands a max offer, then no matter how speculative he will have become worth matching it.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:21 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Let's slow down a bit. Harris put up 15 ppg last year at 22 years old he also shot .420% from three on 4.5 apg. That's Avery Bradley type production but five years younger.

Let's see if smart can really approach 15 ppg with respectable shooting numbers first. He's looking better no doubt, but still a career .358% From the field and .291% from three for his career.