Poll

Who will be the best point guard taken in the 2017 draft?

Fultz
Ball
Fox
Smith
other

Author Topic: Best point guard taken in the 2017 NBA draft?  (Read 2551 times)

Re: Best point guard taken in the 2017 NBA draft?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Longterm Ball is the safest, but Smith has the most upside. For this season, even though he wasn't drafted, Teodosic is the best rookie.

I think the opposite. Smith to me is already pretty close to what his NBA game will be. He's going to be fire right out of the gate but that's basically what you'll get with him. You'll know what type of player he his after his first season.

Ball Fultz Fox all have higher upside with some saying Ball/Fultz could be generational players. Dennis Smith is going to have a great first NBA season the others I'm not so sure.
ok fine

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Longterm Ball is the safest, but Smith has the most upside. For this season, even though he wasn't drafted, Teodosic is the best rookie.

I lean towards DSJ myself. Ball will be exciting, especially in the open court, but I think DSJ has a chance to be an impact guy on both ends.

As far as Fultz, it's still premature but I watched the first Philly preseason game and got major Jeff Green vibes from him. Quite frankly, I think Philly should've stayed at #3 or traded down and taken Fox.  I'm fully buying in on Ben Simmons as point guard. Fox can't shoot, but at least you know you'll get tough defense and leadership.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I think the opposite. Smith to me is already pretty close to what his NBA game will be. He's going to be fire right out of the gate but that's basically what you'll get with him. You'll know what type of player he his after his first season.

Ball Fultz Fox all have higher upside with some saying Ball/Fultz could be generational players. Dennis Smith is going to have a great first NBA season the others I'm not so sure.

Athleticism is the key. Smith's athleticism is unreal, but his skill-set is lacking. Once he improves his shot and learns how to run an offense, the sky's the limit. Don't forget Smith missed his entire senior season because of knee surgery. He doesn't have that much experience and look what he's already doing.

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Athleticism is the key. Smith's athleticism is unreal, but his skill-set is lacking. Once he improves his shot and learns how to run an offense, the sky's the limit. Don't forget Smith missed his entire senior season because of knee surgery. He doesn't have that much experience and look what he's already doing.
Give me the 6’6” basketball genius over the 6’2” athlete who needs to develop skills.  Also I’d greatly prefer Fultz with his size and well rounded game.  If he doesn’t prove to be a mental midget the sky is the limit for him as well.  I think Smith will be good, but I don’t think his ceiling is all that close to the ceilings of the other two guys.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Give me the 6’6” basketball genius over the 6’2” athlete who needs to develop skills.  Also I’d greatly prefer Fultz with his size and well rounded game.  If he doesn’t prove to be a mental midget the sky is the limit for him as well.  I think Smith will be good, but I don’t think his ceiling is all that close to the ceilings of the other two guys.

Who's the basketball genius you're referring to? Hopefully it's not Ball with his no midrange game, funky shot, poor ft shooting, and really bad defense.

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Who's the basketball genius you're referring to? Hopefully it's not Ball with his no midrange game, funky shot, poor ft shooting, and really bad defense.
He's the guy.  Yep, they are all weaknesses but his court awareness appears to be off the charts.  That will show itself not just in his passing, but also in rebounding and steals.  All of the rookies have things to work on.

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
We've seen players like DSJ. Eric Bledsoe, Steve Francis, etc.

I can't think of a decent comp for Ball. Jason Kidd was smaller, Shaun Livingston seems worse, while Magic Johnson seems better.

I think Smith is the safer pick, while Ball is the wildcard.

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I have no idea.  It seems like Dennis Smith and Fox are gonna look the best for at least the first couple of years.

Ball is gonna be like Rondo only with a loose trigger on a significantly better jumper.

Fultz is gonna have a hard transition playing off Simmons.

All these guys are teenagers, pretty much, and point guards take a while to develop.
And significantly worse defense
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I have no idea.  It seems like Dennis Smith and Fox are gonna look the best for at least the first couple of years.

Ball is gonna be like Rondo only with a loose trigger on a significantly better jumper.

Fultz is gonna have a hard transition playing off Simmons.

All these guys are teenagers, pretty much, and point guards take a while to develop.
And significantly worse defense

Lakers look better without Ball tonight...

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 10:19:15 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's too early to tell for me, but I wonder about Ball and that funky shot of his. He's a local LA kid, and his father has procured a zillion dollars in endorsements and rubber contracts for him, so failing would be a disaster. I hope the Lakers know what they're doing. The last funky shot like that was Hunter, and he didn't make it.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Since it’s not completely clear Fultz winds up as a PG, I will take Fox.  His shot needs work, but he’s got a great handle, good court vision, is lightning quick, a bulldog on defense, and a true gamer mentality.  It’s not hard for me to see him winding up as a John Wall clone with better defense.  I think the Lakers and Phoenix both missed in passing on him.