Author Topic: Patience with Yabu  (Read 6629 times)

Re: Patience with Yabu
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I saw an athlete who puts in the work but doesn't actually know how to play basketball yet.

He also looks like he might have trouble jumping.

That is an understatement. To me it negates everything about his game.
Jumping ability isn't required to a great rebounder.  To me he looks like someone who has the potential to be pretty good in that department. I'd say give him time to get used to the NBA game. I'm liking what I see so far but he's very raw.

He's coming back from an injury. Dude can jump no question. It's pretty impressive actually.

Just check the first dunk at 20 seconds

https://youtu.be/v1mAITjzZJo

Here at 40 seconds, a really quick drive for dunk

https://youtu.be/TIDUgWu9ceQ

But look at the other 8 times he finishes at the rim in the second video, very little elevation.  Definitely something he'll need to work on.   Looking forward to seeing how he develops as he's a unique player.

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 08:13:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Guess my eyes are deceiving me.  I saw a guy who seemed stronger and bigger than his peers who was keeping pace and in some moments quicker than them.  He positioned well sometimes, hustled to the ball off the boards, and demonstrated an unusual handle for a behemoth.  If he keeps his focus on improving defense and rebounding (let the offense evolve) I think he will contribute in real (not just garbage) situations.

I agree 100%.

Dude has a sweet jumpshot too- it will fall soon.

I'm super excited for this kid.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I saw an athlete who puts in the work but doesn't actually know how to play basketball yet.

He also looks like he might have trouble jumping.

That is an understatement. To me it negates everything about his game.
Jumping ability isn't required to a great rebounder.  To me he looks like someone who has the potential to be pretty good in that department. I'd say give him time to get used to the NBA game. I'm liking what I see so far but he's very raw.

He's coming back from an injury. Dude can jump no question. It's pretty impressive actually.

Not sure what you are looking at to think he got up high on the dunk at 20 seconds.  A 6'8" guy with long arms and a full head of steam dunked the ball.  The Doug McDermott's of the world can finish the play the same way.  It was a nice play and a nice attack but I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Don't confuse power with elevation, there is a difference.   That dunk was powerful and rim rattling not a high flyer.

I agree with you on the second one.

Both of those dunks though he had no one in the lane to stop him.   So he had time to build momentum up for his dunk by driving.   I still think he is the type of guy who needs to gather himself for a leap either by getting low  to spring up or coming off a run on these dunks.

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm totally willing to be patient with the kid.

Yes he looks lost out on the floor a lot, yes he needs to shoot better, yes he needs to calm down and learn how to play within himself. But he's got a terrific motor, he's incredibly strong and moves really well for his size, and he has kept a handful of plays alive in these two games with his hustle. With a little time, he'll be fine.

In a lot of ways he's the exact opposite of Theiss, who doesn't blow me away with athleticism or flash but knows what his game is an just seems to always know where he's supposed to be on the floor. I hope they're spending some time together.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Dunks are meaningless.

He does not belong on an NBA roster.

Yet.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:00 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The BEAR had a very good game against The 6ers tonight. He is so fast for a guy his size and was throwing his body all over the court. He had blocks and steals played some really good help defense. I was really impressed by Yabu for the 1st time in the preseason. Amazing that he's coming off of surgery and still looks this good. At no time during the game did he look the least bit tired. I've seen where a couple of folks think he's in bad shape or out of shape but he looks tremendous to me. If Baby or Sully had been in this kind of shape their careers would've both lasted longer. Yabu is going to be something special.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:36:58 PM by liam »

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Dunks are meaningless.

He does not belong on an NBA roster.

Yet.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:53:16 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 02:08:06 AM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I have a question for the group. During Monday's Philly game, Yabu dove on the floor to secure a loose ball, almost like a bigger Marcus Smart. Does anyone else remember this play? Or have the video? I can't seem to find it. The one video I found of Yabu was from Tomasz Kordylewski (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LYFvJqcHI&t=29s) but it wasn't on there.