Author Topic: Patience with Yabu  (Read 6619 times)

Re: Patience with Yabu
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I really liked his rebounding and defensive efforts. No layups TAP TAP

Also when okafor fouled him he got straight back up while jahlil stayed down a while. He really is a big unit and has some speed, once he's more used to the game if he can use his body more effectively he'll be an asset.

However his ball handling was sub par the first game and his shot hasn't fallen yet. There's still another 2 preseason games left so he has time.

Let's be patient, worst case he's good for 6 fouls but the dancing bear no doubt has talent

Yabu got hit by Okafur and Okafur got up hurting. LOL
Yabu also stole the ball twice for breakaways. Nice.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Uh, folks, does anyone else remember that Yabusele just had foot surgery in May? That he missed all of Summer League and was only healthy about a month and a half ago? That's going to put the guy a bit behind. Never mind he's very raw - a fact that we already knew.

Patience? Why wouldn't someone have patience with him at this point?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Guess my eyes are deceiving me.  I saw a guy who seemed stronger and bigger than his peers who was keeping pace and in some moments quicker than them.  He positioned well sometimes, hustled to the ball off the boards, and demonstrated an unusual handle for a behemoth.  If he keeps his focus on improving defense and rebounding (let the offense evolve) I think he will contribute in real (not just garbage) situations.

Agree with all this.

A few of the things he did legitimately shocked me.

He could be a Lamar Odom type player if he develops.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I saw an athlete who puts in the work but doesn't actually know how to play basketball yet.

He also looks like he might have trouble jumping.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 02:52:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Uh, folks, does anyone else remember that Yabusele just had foot surgery in May? That he missed all of Summer League and was only healthy about a month and a half ago? That's going to put the guy a bit behind. Never mind he's very raw - a fact that we already knew.

Patience? Why wouldn't someone have patience with him at this point?

This is a very good point. Yabu's energy has been really good but he does look like he's working into game shape. I mean he's no Kuzma but I'm still very high on him!  ;)

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I saw an athlete who puts in the work but doesn't actually know how to play basketball yet.

It's tough to jump with a bowling ball in each of your back pockets.

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Guess my eyes are deceiving me.  I saw a guy who seemed stronger and bigger than his peers who was keeping pace and in some moments quicker than them.  He positioned well sometimes, hustled to the ball off the boards, and demonstrated an unusual handle for a behemoth.  If he keeps his focus on improving defense and rebounding (let the offense evolve) I think he will contribute in real (not just garbage) situations.

Yet plays below the rim. Am I the only one seeing this?
ok fine

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

That is an understatement. To me it negates everything about his game.
ok fine

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I love being a Boston sports fan, but wow, this is the only city where fans get agitated after a player's first couple of preseason games.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Jumping ability isn't required to a great rebounder.  To me he looks like someone who has the potential to be pretty good in that department. I'd say give him time to get used to the NBA game. I'm liking what I see so far but he's very raw.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Yabu had 8 rebounds in 16 minutes. That's like 15 rebounds per 30 min a game. I think he's playing well, just waiting for his shot to fall.

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Yabu needs to lose about 20 lbs. He's a big guy with a paunch--much like Sullinger. He would be quicker if he was lighter. He's a big body under the basket, but he isn't solid like Baynes.

The guy I like is Theis. He looks in great shape, has a lot of extension, and knows where to go on the court. He can play inside or outside. Rebounds offensively very well, and plays good defense. I think he's surprised Stevens, and he might just wind up in the rotation.

They probably had guys like Yabu slated for the rotation, but Theis has shown more so far. He and Tatum have been the surprises, and should be in the rotation. Tatum could be ROY on a team where he could start.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Jumping ability isn't required to a great rebounder.  To me he looks like someone who has the potential to be pretty good in that department. I'd say give him time to get used to the NBA game. I'm liking what I see so far but he's very raw.

He's coming back from an injury. Dude can jump no question. It's pretty impressive actually.

Just check the first dunk at 20 seconds

https://youtu.be/v1mAITjzZJo

Here at 40 seconds, a really quick drive for dunk

https://youtu.be/TIDUgWu9ceQ
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:12:44 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:13 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211

Thank you, I agree. I thought he was a great in garbage time. I didn't see what some of these other poster see. Strong, fast and very active.
Yeah, I also really liked what I saw.  Very active, played the passing lanes well, rebounded pretty well.  I'm not concerned that his jumpers didn't fall.  We already know that he can shoot.  Ojeleye, on the other hand, looks like a stiff.

I went back and re watched the 76ers game. You guys are right, he did lots of really good things in that game. You don't have to be graceful, its about getting the job done.

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

It's tough to jump with a bowling ball in each of your back pockets.

Right?  Dude puts the "donk" in Donkey Kong :laugh:.