Author Topic: Patience with Yabu  (Read 6637 times)

Patience with Yabu
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:33:29 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
He didn't exactly lit the world on fire in the first two games, but I see positive signs that he will be at least a productive player in the future. He looks lost at times but that's a given since he is a rookie. Didn't shot the ball well either but so was the rest of the 3rd unit.

He is exactly what I predicted he will be: a raw kid with tons of potential. We have seen his freakish physical features as well as his motor and relentlessness. He's kinda wild at times but once the game slow down for him, he will be a real asset to the team.

I noticed that everytime he sets a pick, he have no idea what to do next. Theis and Baynes will teach the kid how to be effective on the pnr/p's. He shot well from the outside in China and D-league. I doubt he will continue to lay bricks with his smooth shooting mechanics.

Re: Patience with Yabu
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:30:49 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
He should get more time to get used to the NBA. I am not willing to say he will work it out and come good. I am willing to reserve judgement until he has had a fair opportunity. It mainly seems to be the speed that things happen in the NBA, compared to where he has played. He could improve a lot in a short time if he gets the pace right.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He is confused now, but I believe he will be okay.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Guess my eyes are deceiving me.  I saw a guy who seemed stronger and bigger than his peers who was keeping pace and in some moments quicker than them.  He positioned well sometimes, hustled to the ball off the boards, and demonstrated an unusual handle for a behemoth.  If he keeps his focus on improving defense and rebounding (let the offense evolve) I think he will contribute in real (not just garbage) situations.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just think the guys who thought he would come here and be the next Draymond Green were way off the mark. 

Positives
1) Athletic for his size
2) Super strong
3) Guys were getting hurt fouling him
4) Freakish Fast for his size and decent motor
5) Youth tons of potential

Negatives
1) His jumpshot
2) Can only leap well when he gathers himself or off the run which makes him a slow leaper
3)  Lacks experience this can be improved on with PT
4) Youth he is only 22

The league is set up so you have 3-4 years to get it if you're are a first round pick.  He is going to most of that time.   His physique is already elite so if he is wise he will maintain it and work on his jump speed and jump shot.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 07:19:19 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Given the way he's shot from 3 in France, China, and Maine, this is one area I'm not at all worried about.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Given the way he's shot from 3 in France, China, and Maine, this is one area I'm not at all worried about.

Doesn't the level of competition scare you at all over there?

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Good energy .

He ll have to learn to play at NBA pace.  He is lagging behind the action .  He needs to keep the game in front of him , understand whats going on .

NBA action is fast and furious.   Groups of players stampede up and down the court at breakneck speed.   Yabu looks like a victum instead of being part of it.

The ball is moving fast , he is going have to think ahead and react way faster.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Guess my eyes are deceiving me.  I saw a guy who seemed stronger and bigger than his peers who was keeping pace and in some moments quicker than them.  He positioned well sometimes, hustled to the ball off the boards, and demonstrated an unusual handle for a behemoth.  If he keeps his focus on improving defense and rebounding (let the offense evolve) I think he will contribute in real (not just garbage) situations.

Thank you, I agree. I thought he was a great in garbage time. I didn't see what some of these other poster see. Strong, fast and very active.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
We’re not asking him to be a starter.  Give the kid some time.  He might or might not turn into something

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Thank you, I agree. I thought he was a great in garbage time. I didn't see what some of these other poster see. Strong, fast and very active.
Yeah, I also really liked what I saw.  Very active, played the passing lanes well, rebounded pretty well.  I'm not concerned that his jumpers didn't fall.  We already know that he can shoot.  Ojeleye, on the other hand, looks like a stiff.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I hope The Yabu fans are correct but was at the Sixer game and watched Yabu. The atheletism that
We hear about was evident maybe one play. He got up pretty well for a rebound. He's slow up the court.

Theis on the the other hand impresses me.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't see the tons of potential.  Undersized, unathletic, little defensive potential.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I hope he can make,the leap .

Young and Others played greatnin G league , but the intensity and speed are so much more in the big leagues.

Im not sure about his IQ .  Alot of slower smaller players can find their way playing smart , anticipating the action , getting a ahead of the play with brains instead of muscle .   Not sure if Yabu can be one of these guys ...just don't know him or seen enough ...i hope so.

Tatum has 100 % the complete package ....every athletic gift and IQ and wisedom so young.

Yabu .....really needs to do a Marcus makeover ....to increase his speed and jumping .  Yabu has plenty or too much muscle ...he needs to lose about 25 pounds , practice night and day shooting , and study film like crazy.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
I really liked his rebounding and defensive efforts. No layups TAP TAP

Also when okafor fouled him he got straight back up while jahlil stayed down a while. He really is a big unit and has some speed, once he's more used to the game if he can use his body more effectively he'll be an asset.

However his ball handling was sub par the first game and his shot hasn't fallen yet. There's still another 2 preseason games left so he has time.

Let's be patient, worst case he's good for 6 fouls but the dancing bear no doubt has talent