Author Topic: Preseason Game # 2 Reactions  (Read 9511 times)

Re: Preseason Game # 2 Reactions
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

2.Nader is physical limited especially against athleltic defender but he has the attacker mentality, he will have a role on the bench, how big is upon to his work ethic

Speaking to a couple of comments earlier in this thread - the Celtics obviously like's Nader's game because they signed him to a 4 year contract.  His game is shooting the 3 and driving to the basket looking to score or dish. So as far as the comment about playing for himself - he's doing exactly what the Celtics want him to do.  They didn't sign him for his passing ability.

Best case scenario for him is he gives them a reliable scorer off the bench who can help the second unit score some points with a little consistency.  Right now it's Tatum and that's about it as far as scorers.

However I think there are definitely questions about whether he'll be athletic enough - or good enough - to become that.  He's got to prove it and he's probably going to have limited opportunities to do that barring injuries. 

And yes, he stunk vs Philly.  But I wouldn't write him off just yet.

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

2.Nader is physical limited especially against athleltic defender but he has the attacker mentality, he will have a role on the bench, how big is upon to his work ethic

Speaking to a couple of comments earlier in this thread - the Celtics obviously like's Nader's game because they signed him to a 4 year contract.  His game is shooting the 3 and driving to the basket looking to score or dish. So as far as the comment about playing for himself - he's doing exactly what the Celtics want him to do.  They didn't sign him for his passing ability.

Best case scenario for him is he gives them a reliable scorer off the bench who can help the second unit score some points with a little consistency.  Right now it's Tatum and that's about it as far as scorers.

However I think there are definitely questions about whether he'll be athletic enough - or good enough - to become that.  He's got to prove it and he's probably going to have limited opportunities to do that barring injuries. 

What about Morris? He can score off the bench.

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Speaking to a couple of comments earlier in this thread - the Celtics obviously like's Nader's game because they signed him to a 4 year contract. His game is shooting the 3 and driving to the basket looking to score or dish. So as far as the comment about playing for himself - he's doing exactly what the Celtics want him to do.  They didn't sign him for his passing ability.

The problem is, there's a difference between being a skilled scorer who has a scorers mentality...and being a complete black hole who completely refuses to pass, and who tries to force a shot or drive literally every single time the ball touches his hands.

We've had guys in the past who like to shoot the ball, but I've not seen a Cetlcs player as bad as Nader ha been so far.  Straight up REFUSING to ever pass the ball is not cool.  Especially when you are a scrub who barely has the skills to earn an NBA roster spot.  I doubt he'll see much (if any) minutes this league.  When you have skilled guys like Rozier, Smart and Tatum in the second unit, I feel like it'd be hard to find plying time for a scrub like Nader unless the team gets hit by injuries. 

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Let’s be clear about that 4-year deal.  Only this year is fully guaranteed.  Next year is partially guaranteed, but at an amount that the team will be willing to eat if they need to move on.  The following two years are completely non-guaranteed.  The fourth year is both a team option that they can decline to make him a restricted free agent, or pick up and still have it non-guaranteed for a few weeks into the summer if they want to wait until after free agency to make a decision.  It’s a very team friendly deal, and is only 4 years if Nader proves worth keeping around.  They can move on from him as soon as necessary.  Don’t judge the length of the deal to figure out how the Celtics feel about Nader — judge the guarantees.  They indicate the Celtics wanted to give themselves time for something better to come along every summer that he’s signed for.  They signed him to four years because they had the cap space to do so, and because it cost them nothing extra for those final two years (except maybe a very little extra money this year).

Ultimately I think Nader will stay through next year because the Celtics will be a tax team, he’s cheap, and you have to fill your roster somehow.  He will need to make substantial improvements to be kept beyond that point.  I doubt he plays more than 800 total minutes in a two-year Celtic career.

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Don't think Nader or Larkin are needed. I would like to give Nader some regular season minutes to see if he calms down.
These rookies have so many nerves- especially the ones on the outside of the rotation looking in.

I think Yabu is going to be an excellent player. Does all the dirty work. Rebounds, screens, shoots the three and hustles his ass off. He's like a big man version of Marcus Smart. Brings his hard hat and shovel and goes to work.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'd rather have GGreen than Nader, even on the third string. Even his upside isn't worth a spot since Green might be better than Nader could be. I'd rather have Tatum practicing against Green, which would be worth Green's minimum deal in itself.

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
First pre season game Nader scored 10 points and had 4 rebounds in 11 minutes only missing one three and a nice finger roll the rolled out.
Justin Anderson 6-6 230 6-11 3/4 inch wingspan 43 inch vertical  and 38 no step and he can shoot and loves defense-
that nullified naders 7-1 reach and any advantages I wanted Celts to draft Anderson
 Anderson is a physical sf and is tough to handle cause he hits the threes..Nader had a bad game. He is a rookie but matching up against 3rd year justin anderson a versatile defender was never going to be easy-welcome to the NBA
Philly has a lot of good players on 2nd team.
Another thing you get too many rookies and young guys this early it can get real chaotic quickly.

The injury bug bit philly again Richaun Holmes broke his wrist on a hard foul by Baynes see's the Dr in 3 weeks
.Fultz is wishsy washy with a shoulder injury
Having to face Marcus,Rozier,Brown or Tatum on defense and guard Irving  the thought makes my shoulder sore.

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Justin Anderson 6-6 230 6-11 3/4 inch wingspan 43 inch vertical  and 38 no step and he can shoot and loves defense-
that nullified naders 7-1 reach and any advantages I wanted Celts to draft Anderson
 Anderson is a physical sf and is tough to handle cause he hits the threes..Nader had a bad game

Nader may not have an NBA handle or first step.   He struggles to get the slightest bit open when against guys who are not heading the D league.   He is also beyond selfish and a complete ballhog thus far in the preseason.  Time will tell, he needs to calm down and play within the system instead of thinking this is a volume scorer tryout; something he is not.

'd rather have GGreen than Nader, even on the third string

Agree, Green in an NBA player, the jury is out on Nader.

Don't think Nader or Larkin are needed.

I would bet Chambers that Larkin makes the team.

I think Yabu is going to be an excellent player. Does all the dirty work. Rebounds, screens, shoots the three and hustles his ass off. He's like a big man version of Marcus Smart. Brings his hard hat and shovel and goes to work.

I disagree with the excellent player.   At least not in the meantime but he has solid metrics and won't have to work on his strength that much.   He does do dirty work, plays hard and runs the floor.   I would like to see him do the same workout and diet that Marcus Smart did this summer.  Increase his speed even more so that he has the speed to stay with anyone and we already know that he has the strength to stay with anyone.   The jury is still out.

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
A year ago the majority of Celtics blog considered Nader a 'find' for a 2nd round pick.  He had a decent season at Maine, Danny gives him a contract.  Then he plays one crappy game and everyone's ready to dump him.

He's a project like everyone else below the current first 10.  All I'm saying is he has a skill set that could get him into the rotation at some point - if he proves he can put the ball in the basket vs NBA talent. 

But I also think this bench is going to struggle to score points - which means they won't be holding leads they way we'd like to see - and that could open up an opportunity for Nader to earn some minutes.