Author Topic: Who's going to have a better rookie season than Tatum?  (Read 4462 times)

Re: Who's going to have a better rookie season than Tatum?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Health is going to be a huge part of ROY. So many of the top rookies this year seem injury prone and fragile.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I think Dennis Smith Jr. ends up being the hands down RoY. He's got an NBA ready game right out of the box and he doesn't look shy about pulling the trigger.

He reminds me of the prototypical gunner who lights it up early in their careers only for that to be their peak.
ok fine

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
does anyone else feel like there should be a rule that you are considered a rookie only if you are in the first year of your deal?

it bums me out seeing players like simmons, embiid, and blake griffin being contenders for ROY
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Simmons will undoubtedly.
I agree.  I think he'll flirt with a 14/10/10 triple double.

You think he will be the best player in the history of NBA? A triple double as a rookie? I don't even think a drunk optimistic 76ers fan would guess that.

I am sure he will have some triple doubles based on his skills, but the extreme consistenty that is required to average one (or flirt with one) would be absurd to ask of a rookie.
Those numbers have nothing to do with being the best player in NBA history or even best rookie.   As far as precedent goes, Oscar Robertson nearly did it with 30.9 PPG, 10.1 RPG and 9.7 APG his rookie season. 

Simmons is going to play big minutes and run the Sixers offense.  The Sixers are going to be one of the top pace teams.  With Embiid defending the lane and Covington on the perimeter, I think they'll have a lot of fast break opportunities.  Embiid's focus will be on defense not rebounding.  It certainly is a longshot but I think Simmons has a chance if his teammates shoot pretty well and he does some rebound hunting.   

Found this article on top rookie seasons. 
http://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-greatest-rookie-seasons-in-nba-history/ 

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Bull from Finland. 14/15 PPG
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
does anyone else feel like there should be a rule that you are considered a rookie only if you are in the first year of your deal?

it bums me out seeing players like simmons, embiid, and blake griffin being contenders for ROY
Not me.  You're 1st season played is your rookie season.  You've got 1 year freshman rookies going against 4 year senior rookies.  Sitting out injured having to rehab just to get back to being able to play basketball is not some great advantage.  Most of the time you are not even with the team. 

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Not me.  You're 1st season played is your rookie season.  You've got 1 year freshman rookies going against 4 year senior rookies.  Sitting out injured having to rehab just to get back to being able to play basketball is not some great advantage.  Most of the time you are not even with the team.
the 4 year senior still didn't get a year of NBA coaching and mentoring. If you say that's meaningless, you're saying the entire concept of coaching and mentoring is meaningless. NBA basketball is much more complex than college ball

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Teodosic.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
My dude Jonathan Isaac!

He's the other guy I wanted, next to Tatum for our top pick. He will no doubt get plenty of minutes. ORL lacks a scoring threat, and I think he becomes one of their top options right away.

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:55 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Stats? Probably at least half a dozen rookies. Guys like Ball, Simmons, Fox, Smith and Fultz will get major playing time. Tatum is going to have a more difficult time seeing the floor. I have very low expectations for Tatum being even in the top 3 for RoY because I'm not confident he'll get even 1,600 minutes this year.

However, I don't use the RoY to determine who had the better season. What I want to see is consistent and improving production on both ends on the floor. If he shows that then it's all good.

Well, in light of the Hayward injury I think my response above is out the window. Tatum will now compete for the ROY as he'll get 25-30 mpg for a winning team. He'll get a lot more shots as the Celtics search to create offense.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Stats? Probably at least half a dozen rookies. Guys like Ball, Simmons, Fox, Smith and Fultz will get major playing time. Tatum is going to have a more difficult time seeing the floor. I have very low expectations for Tatum being even in the top 3 for RoY because I'm not confident he'll get even 1,600 minutes this year.

However, I don't use the RoY to determine who had the better season. What I want to see is consistent and improving production on both ends on the floor. If he shows that then it's all good.

Well, in light of the Hayward injury I think my response above is out the window. Tatum will now compete for the ROY as he'll get 25-30 mpg for a winning team. He'll get a lot more shots as the Celtics search to create offense.
Yeah, I could see Tatum putting up 14-15 per game with 6-7 boards if he continues to start.

Hopefully more ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
If Tatum continues to get around 30 mpg no one will even come close ...
Wait until he starts firing threes ....

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
obviously the Hayward injury will make a huge difference in Tatum's minutes and the need to have him become more of a primary scorer on the floor. 

Despite the media's love affair with Simmons and Ball, they aren't great scorers, rebounders or defenders.  I think Tatum will have a very legit chance to claim ROY when it's all said and done.

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If he's getting the minutes and plays the way that many of us expect him to play based on what we see in his potential, then I think he has an excellent shot now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Simmons. Press already fawning all over him.

Or Kuzma.
Or Fox. Or Ball. Or potentially even Markkanen depending on how the situation with Mirotic/Portis develops.

These are the rookies with lottery talent that will get handed the keys to the car. And they are less likely to get docked if not producing, since they're on horrible teams.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."