Author Topic: Who's going to have a better rookie season than Tatum?  (Read 4421 times)

Who's going to have a better rookie season than Tatum?
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I see Tatum as the best rookie this year. I'm not sure who is going to have a better year than him. Simmons, maybe? Tatum will probably play the full season in limited minutes and all other rookies will hit the wall at some point. Does playing for a winning team off the bench not mean as much as playing for a terrible team but putting up numbers?

Re: Who's going to have a better rookie season than Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Simmons will undoubtedly.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Simmons. Press already fawning all over him.

Or Kuzma.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Possibilities include Ball, Simmons, DSJ.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
From a talent standpoint, no one

From a stat padding stand point, only Dennis smith.

I’m not impressed from what I saw from Ball and Simmons. Both are really bad on defense. They just make highlight friendly passes and score against bad defenders. Simmons still to me looks like Lamar Odom 2.0

Fultz shot looks bad I’m not sold on him having a good season. I expect inefficient low scoring games from him.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:08:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Define better?

Tatum will be a part of more wins than Simmons or Fultz, I'm confident of that.

Will he put up better counting stats?  I doubt it, except perhaps as to scoring efficiency.

I think Dennis Smith and Simmons are the best bets to compete for ROY.   

Ball is a possibility as well, but I expect him to have some wild ups and downs in his scoring efficiency.

Fultz is going to be a work in progress with his weird new jumper and learning to play off Simmons and Embiid.

Tatum will play 18-20 minutes per night, at most.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Stats? Probably at least half a dozen rookies. Guys like Ball, Simmons, Fox, Smith and Fultz will get major playing time. Tatum is going to have a more difficult time seeing the floor. I have very low expectations for Tatum being even in the top 3 for RoY because I'm not confident he'll get even 1,600 minutes this year.

However, I don't use the RoY to determine who had the better season. What I want to see is consistent and improving production on both ends on the floor. If he shows that then it's all good.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
Probably a fake rookie like Simmons.

ROTY is the most worthless of the awards anyway. There is no fair way to compare someone who starts and stars on a lottery team to someone who matters as a rookie like Jaylen Brown or Patrick McCaw.

It bothers me even more though when people not drafted within 12 months of the award being given out are up for consideration. Played overseas for a year, well, you are eligible for awards there. Got injured and didn't play your first year, injuries are part of the game and they just cost you your shot at Rookie of the Year.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Simmons, Fultz, Ball, Jackson, and Smith
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Probably a fake rookie like Simmons.

ROTY is the most worthless of the awards anyway. There is no fair way to compare someone who starts and stars on a lottery team to someone who matters as a rookie like Jaylen Brown or Patrick McCaw.

It bothers me even more though when people not drafted within 12 months of the award being given out are up for consideration. Played overseas for a year, well, you are eligible for awards there. Got injured and didn't play your first year, injuries are part of the game and they just cost you your shot at Rookie of the Year.
I agree I think it's ridiculous that Simmons can be considered a rookie. He's had an unfair advantage of coaching and training with nba level trainers and coaches. He knows how the game is played

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46

A smart man would bet this.....   All we have to do is look at the odds in Vegas for a ball park.   The kid in Utah might be the rookie of the year.  He looks like he understands what it takes and is somewhat fearless. 
Diggles

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I see Tatum as the best rookie this year. I'm not sure who is going to have a better year than him. Simmons, maybe? Tatum will probably play the full season in limited minutes and all other rookies will hit the wall at some point. Does playing for a winning team off the bench not mean as much as playing for a terrible team but putting up numbers?
please define "better." do you mean counting stats? development?

tatum will have trouble with the former since he wont get the same number of minutes as folks such as simmons, fultz, ball...all of whom play on bad teams.

so, how should we define "better" please?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
please define "better." do you mean counting stats? development?

tatum will have trouble with the former since he wont get the same number of minutes as folks such as simmons, fultz, ball...all of whom play on bad teams.

so, how should we define "better" please?

I prefer to decide that at the end of the season, in order define "better" in a way that guarantees Tatum is #1.

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I agree.  I think he'll flirt with a 14/10/10 triple double. 

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I agree.  I think he'll flirt with a 14/10/10 triple double.

You think he will be the best player in the history of NBA? A triple double as a rookie? I don't even think a drunk optimistic 76ers fan would guess that.

I am sure he will have some triple doubles based on his skills, but the extreme consistenty that is required to average one (or flirt with one) would be absurd to ask of a rookie.