Author Topic: Fultz vs Tatum  (Read 5055 times)

Re: Fultz vs Tatum
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This is gonna be a thing all season, isn't it?

Ugh.
It’s going to be bigger than Smart vs Randle!

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Who knows how things will turn out but there are definitely a number of things that play into Tatum's favor.  Tatum will be brought along at a slower pace and Brad will make him earn minutes based upon his ability to impact "winning".  By all accounts Tatum appears to be a level headed kid and we have no reason to believe that he wont consistently work at improving all aspects of his game.  Both he and Jaylen have the benefit of learning under a winning program.   

Fultz will be thrown into the fire right away at a position that is very deep throughout the NBA.  I expect him to have plenty of tough nights.  If he shows some flashes of brilliance then I would be more inclined to focus on those as opposed to the struggles. 

We will all compare them throughout the season but the context isn't apple to apples.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Ugh.
It’s going to be bigger than Smart vs Randle!

I've come around and admit that debate is over imo. Smart looked great in the 1st preseason game. I'm very glad he lost weight finally and expect him to be great this year

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Who knows how things will turn out but there are definitely a number of things that play into Tatum's favor.  Tatum will be brought along at a slower pace and Brad will make him earn minutes based upon his ability to impact "winning".  By all accounts Tatum appears to be a level headed kid and we have no reason to believe that he wont consistently work at improving all aspects of his game.  Both he and Jaylen have the benefit of learning under a winning program.   

Fultz will be thrown into the fire right away at a position that is very deep throughout the NBA.  I expect him to have plenty of tough nights.  If he shows some flashes of brilliance then I would be more inclined to focus on those as opposed to the struggles. 

We will all compare them throughout the season but the context isn't apple to apples.

I completely agree. Too early to judge basically. I think we can make a better assessment after each player has finished year 2. I'm leaning towards Tatum now, but a lot can change

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum > Fultz

Thats all that matters
Based on zero regular season games.  Nice body of evidence.

Based on everything leading up to now...

He was not a winner at the collegiate level and the trend has continued into his pro career...

Lacks the intangibles/attitude to carry a team.  Will become a player something like Jamal Crawford vs Tatum who is going to be much better/depend on me talent

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tatum > Fultz

Thats all that matters

He was not a winner at the collegiate level and the trend has continued into his pro career...

Lacks the intangibles/attitude to carry a team.  Will become a player something like Jamal Crawford vs Tatum who is going to be much better/depend on me talent
You are right that he wasn't a winner in college but no trend has continued into the pro career because it hasn't really started yet.

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Tatum > Fultz

Thats all that matters

You are right that he wasn't a winner in college but no trend has continued into the pro career because it hasn't really started yet.
As Dinah Washington sang, What difference a 23 preseason minute stint makes.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »

Offline CactusThomas

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Fultz is going to do well. He's a consensus #1 pick

So you don't believe that the Celtics had Tatum at the top of their board?
"Manute Bol! Your mom!!" - Dan Aykroyd

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Fultz is going to do well. He's a consensus #1 pick

So you don't believe that the Celtics had Tatum at the top of their board?

Not only the Celtics, but the Lakers, too. What kind of consensus #1 pick would go #3 if the top two teams had drafted according to their own board.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
offensively it might be a wash. but I expect Tatum to be MUCH better on defense than Fultz.

one of the knocks on fultz was his poor defense

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Ugh.

That's being VERY conservative.

Likely, this thread topic could be a 3-4 year thing, or even longer.

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Fultz can surely die on a screen with the best of them.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think this thread could be expanded to also include Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown. In back-to-back drafts, Philly gets the #1 overall pick and Boston #3. At one point last night, I felt bad for both Simmons and Fultz, as both guys are horrendous free throw shooters. Where as Simmons is a magician with dribbling and passing, he is a brutal shooter. Fultz did look good driving to the rim, but everything else left little to be desired. I know it is very early, but I feel like Danny may have picked the better players in both drafts.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think this thread could be expanded to also include Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown. In back-to-back drafts, Philly gets the #1 overall pick and Boston #3. At one point last night, I felt bad for both Simmons and Fultz, as both guys are horrendous free throw shooters. Where as Simmons is a magician with dribbling and passing, he is a brutal shooter. Fultz did look good driving to the rim, but everything else left little MUCH to be desired. I know it is very early, but I feel like Danny may have picked the better players in both drafts.
There, fixed it for ya'.

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 09:03:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
imagine a number one draft pick point guard that struggles at the  foul line ,another 6-10 guy that struggles at the line and has no three point game  and then you have a guy drawing rave reviews for a Paul Pierce game and now drawing praise for his defense-the celts didn't want Fultz so we got Jayson and the pick.Jason has exceeded expectations while Fultz is wishy,washy.
If you look at the guards that this KID will face across the league its criminal.I would sit a sports psychologist behind Fultz every game.

And it comes down to 7th game in playoffs, who do you want at the line or who do you foul.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:08:27 AM by rollie mass »