Author Topic: Fultz vs Tatum  (Read 5051 times)

Fultz vs Tatum
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
First game....
Tatum 9 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals...

Fultz 4 pts, 2 rebs, 3 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals...

Tatum +9
Fultz -15

Re: Fultz vs Tatum
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Fultz is going to do well. He's a consensus #1 pick playing on a team loaded with young talent. Plus, he has one of the best centers in the League to help mask any defensive deficiencies. He does a lot of things very well, e.g., shooting, passing and handling the ball. He's going to be a great addition to the 76ers.

The only problem is they already have some good backcourt talent. He may have trouble beating them out for playing time. 2's JJ Redick, Nik Stauskas, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Furkan Korkmaz
1's  T.J. McConnell, Jerryd Bayless and Ben Simmons has outstanding guard-like skills. 

If Embiid and Simmons can stay healthy for any length of time they'll be one of the most fun teams to watch in the League.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fultz was #1 pick on most mocks but a few had jackson and Tatum probably to conform to Celtics needs and rumor of interest

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Fultz is going to do well. He's a consensus #1 pick playing on a team loaded with young talent. Plus, he has one of the best centers in the League to help mask any defensive deficiencies. He does a lot of things very well, e.g., shooting, passing and handling the ball. He's going to be a great addition to the 76ers.

A centre who has played only 31 (out of a possible 246) games over his first three NBA seasons. 

To put that into perspective Greg Oden played 82 total games in his first three seasons - almost 3x as many as Embiid has - and was previously used as the ultimate example of how injury issues can single handedly destroy the career of a highly promising young prospect.

I sincerely hope Embiid can stay healthy (I could never wish ill healthy on any NBA player) but the risk level is historically high for him. 

And Nerlens Noel is in Dallas now, so if Embiid does miss time you now are now forced to start Jahlil Okafor in his place - who just might be the worst defensive big man in the entire league (he's battling Kanter hard for that title). 

Of course they could try starting Simmons at center instead, but he's not exactly glorified for his defence or rim protection either...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:23:00 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32

The only problem is they already have some good backcourt talent. He may have trouble beating them out for playing time. 2's JJ Redick, Nik Stauskas, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Furkan Korkmaz
1's  T.J. McConnell, Jerryd Bayless and Ben Simmons has outstanding guard-like skills. 

If Embiid and Simmons can stay healthy for any length of time they'll be one of the most fun teams to watch in the League.

He use to shoot well. But now he went and changed his shot cause he was having trouble getting his old shot off. His biggest problem is he will be asked to be more of an off guard and that isn't his forte. You also can see how lost he was last night once defenses collapsed on him. He can't finish in the paint right now.

If he doesn't get his jump shot squared that consensus #1 means nothing in the NBA. His strength was his ability to score efficiently from all over the court. Take away that jump shot and teams will play off him. Team also don't have to worry about him scoring in the lane right now. He still is a poor FT shooter. And he brings nothing on the defensive end. Already GMs how soured on him since he didn't get one vote for who they feel will win ROY.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 01:00:19 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Not much to say for a first preseason game except his shooting still got a long way to go and he needs to learn to play offball
Don't know why the Sixers draft a can't shoot-ball dominat guard while they already had Simmons, that's a bad fit
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:15:25 AM by playdream »

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 03:58:10 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
To be fair to Fultz it’s one game. He’ll have at most 82 more (assuming he doesn’t injure himself) to prove himself this year.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 05:03:22 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

He use to shoot well. But now he went and changed his shot cause he was having trouble getting his old shot off. His biggest problem is he will be asked to be more of an off guard and that isn't his forte. You also can see how lost he was last night once defenses collapsed on him. He can't finish in the paint right now.

If he doesn't get his jump shot squared that consensus #1 means nothing in the NBA. His strength was his ability to score efficiently from all over the court. Take away that jump shot and teams will play off him. Team also don't have to worry about him scoring in the lane right now. He still is a poor FT shooter. And he brings nothing on the defensive end. Already GMs how soured on him since he didn't get one vote for who they feel will win ROY.
Fultz was tied for 2nd with Tatum on the "Which rookie will be the best player in five years?" question in the GM survey.  He's not just having to adjust to NBA speed and physicality but also to his changed role.  He was active on defense so I don't see that being a long term concern.  He and the rest of the Sixers will look a lot better defensively with Embiid in the middle. 

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
First game....

Tatum +9
Fultz -15

Fultz also shot 15% FG and played 23 Minutes.  Tatum shot 36% and played 33 Minutes.  Both have the jitters.  So Tatum played more, folks.

He's a consensus #1 pick playing on a team loaded with young talent.

Scouts can be wrong, though.  It is too early to tell on both of them.   I saw a lot of things that made me glad we didn't take Fultz.   Most of them were intangibles like mental attitude and the like.  I know I am in the minority in that regard.  I think he is going to be KO from what I seen when the shots are falling he has confidence and when they are not he doesn't.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 06:35:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum > Fultz

Thats all that matters

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
First game....

Tatum +9
Fultz -15

Fultz also shot 15% FG and played 23 Minutes.  Tatum shot 36% and played 33 Minutes.  Both have the jitters.  So Tatum played more, folks.

He's a consensus #1 pick playing on a team loaded with young talent.

Scouts can be wrong, though.  It is too early to tell on both of them.   I saw a lot of things that made me glad we didn't take Fultz.   Most of them were intangibles like mental attitude and the like.  I know I am in the minority in that regard.  I think he is going to be KO from what I seen when the shots are falling he has confidence and when they are not he doesn't.
That's exactly how I felt too so I'm guessing it's not a small minority.

I think Fultz will struggle on a bad, inexperienced and imbalanced team for most of the season.  Tatum, OTOH is in a MUCH better environment without any pressure at all, so he may find his stride much sooner for that reason, as well as because he's just better, IMO.   :P

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tatum > Fultz

Thats all that matters
Based on zero regular season games.  Nice body of evidence.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12

1's  T.J. McConnell, Jerryd Bayless and Ben Simmons
has outstanding guard-like skills. 

If he has trouble beating any of these players out for minutes on the 76ers then he really had no business being the #1 pick. He will start at PG. If he doesn't then that speaks volumes to where he is developmentally and talent wise. Simmons and Redick are the two best players you mentioned and neither should take minutes from him at the PG spot. Simmons may play point-forward but he'll start at a forward spot where his skills will give the biggest mismatch opportunities.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is gonna be a thing all season, isn't it?

Ugh.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
This is gonna be a thing all season, isn't it?

Ugh.
probably. i mean, here on cb, how many years will it take to NOT have someone ask "why did we pick olly instead of antetokounmpo?"  :P

sometimes cbers are like terriers or bulldogs. once they sink their teeth into something, they dont let get easily.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva