Author Topic: New All-Star Game Format Starting This Season  (Read 5872 times)

Re: New All-Star Game Format Starting This Season
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
While I still think this is stupid, I do like some of the potential drama this could start.

Look at last year for example, LeBron and Curry would be captains.  What if Curry doesn't take Durant with his 1st pick?  What if LeBron doesn't pick Irving at all and so Irving ends up as the last pick among the starters and gets put on Curry's team by default?

Same thing when you get to the reserves, how does it look if Curry doesn't take Thompson and Green with his first 2 reserve picks?  LeBron takes Draymond with his 3rd reserve pick and starts whispering in his ear, "look how Steph doesn't even respect you."

Think of the potential drama during the Shaq/Kobe years when one of them is captain but doesn't pick the other.

Still stupid, but there is that added "drama" element I like.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I honestly wish they would cancel the all-star game.  The other events are more interesting.  The players don't even give 20% effort in the game.  Doesn't matter who is on what team, that isn't going to change the fact that it is a huge waste of time and pretty much universally disappointing to watch as basketball.

Maybe a 3 on 3 tourney or something like that were we get to see the players in a different setting might be better? 

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I never watch All-Star games anymore because they are stupid

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
What issue are they trying to address by doing this? The problem with the All-Star game for years has been the lack of defense/effort. It's just wide open lobs and the occasional back n forth 3-point shooting.

Plus, having a setting where teammates go up against each other with rivals isn't something I'd be fond of watching.

Hypothetically there could be LeBron and Kyrie vs. Hayward and Durant. No thanks. No matter who wins a Celtic loses in that scenario. Who would I be rooting for? "Team LeBron"? Pass.

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd rather see a one on one tournament over the weekend.

Rules
Make it take it, first to 5pts moves on, coin flip determines first possession, free throw line clear, 4pt shut out.

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I never watch All-Star games anymore because they are stupid
TP....and this just makes things more stupid.

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd rather see a one on one tournament over the weekend.

Rules
Make it take it, first to 5pts moves on, coin flip determines first possession, free throw line clear, 4pt shut out.

Maybe just have them play Yahtzee or something
Yup

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 02:33:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You cannot tell me a Magic vs Larry all star format like this wouldn't have been incredible or an MJ vs Kobe or Shaq.

It's worth sorta watching once every ten years. Maybe

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
You cannot tell me a Magic vs Larry all star format like this wouldn't have been incredible or an MJ vs Kobe or Shaq.

It should be required that the guy that gets picked last gets made fun of and feels really bad about it.  Maybe give him a wedgie too.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It should be required that the guy that gets picked last gets made fun of and feels really bad about it.  Maybe give him a wedgie too.
Last year that woulda been Kemba Walker, right?

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I like the changes. Might as well try something because the game has just gotten worse and worse every year.

Maybe having the players pick their own teams will ingender a little more ownership in the game. Throw in a dash of "how could he pick so-and-so ahead of me" and maybe those things will get the players to invest a little bit more in a game.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Right. I mean to be fair this whole thing was already horrible enough I don't think they can really ruin it more

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Right. I mean to be fair this whole thing was already horrible enough I don't think they can really ruin it more
Yup. When Steph Curry decides to lie down on the court because there is a 3 on 1 fast break coming his way, the game is pretty horrible and the game has already been ruined by the player's effort during the game. Just get rid of the game and events entirely and give every player a week off in early February.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The top vote-getters in each conference still have to limit their choices to their own conference, right?  East vs. West still has some rivalry value.

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The top vote-getters in each conference still have to limit their choices to their own conference, right?  East vs. West still has some rivalry value.
I don't think so. ESPN had an All-Star mock draft and the captains they had just chose players randomly, regardless of who was elected by fans as starters and who got selected by coaches.