Author Topic: New All-Star Game Format Starting This Season  (Read 5846 times)

New All-Star Game Format Starting This Season
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The top All-Star vote getter in each conference will become a captain.  The captains will pick teams, playground style.

This is the objectively correct way to do the All-Star game.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20905491/nba-all-star-game-switch-formats-captains-pick-team-conference-affiliations
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: New All-Star Game Format Starting This Season
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can we bring back actually voting for actual positions and not G/G/F/F/F

bring back voting PG/SG/SF/PF/C

that's one request i have

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sounds crap. I liked the East vs West rivalry. Do not like all this intermingling.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Terrible. It'll be lebron and KD picking all their friends. Nike will tell them to try to get most nike-signed stars to market their shoes. No Celtics will be picked as we are their rivals and lebron hates kyrie

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Dumb
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
All Star Saturday is what really needs to get overhauled.  Not the actual game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Imagine if Kyrie gets voted captain, though? 

It'll be fun to see how many West guys are selected before anybody from the East is picked.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Terrible. It'll be lebron and KD picking all their friends. Nike will tell them to try to get most nike-signed stars to market their shoes. No Celtics will be picked as we are their rivals and lebron hates kyrie

From the article, that's not how it's going to go.

Fans (50%), media (25%), and players (25%) will still vote 5 starters from each conference.  Coaches will pick the remaining 7 players.  So the way the All-Stars are chosen doesn't change at all.  Still 12 players from each conference, with most voted in by coaches. 

Captains aren't choosing whose an All-Star, just choosing who among the All-Stars is on their team.  It seems like they'll have to pick among the 8 other players voted as starters first, then they'll be able to pick between the 14 reserves selected by coaches.

The coaches will also be unchanged.  If this were last year, Stevens would have coached the team picked by LeBron, while Kerr would have coached the team picked by Curry.

Sounds stupid to me.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is this a joke?

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This probably just tries to negate the advantage the West have over the East in terms of too much talent out west that can still play for an "east" team.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The article talks about the league having fan interest in mind.

The '17 game tv ratings were the best they had since '13 so you really can't call it a cheap "NHL type" ploy here.  Who knows.  It just seems lame, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is dumb, it means the teams have no stable identity from year to year, and casual fans won't know who's on which team until midway through the game. Also produces an embarrassing situation where like the last 6 guys picked are all from the East. Maybe it'll motivate those guys to play a little harder though.

I like that they're playing for charity, however. That's a positive for me.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This is dumb, it means the teams have no stable identity from year to year, and casual fans won't know who's on which team until midway through the game. Also produces an embarrassing situation where like the last 6 guys picked are all from the East. Maybe it'll motivate those guys to play a little harder though.

Isn't this better than the East team losing by 50 points because the West has all the best players except for LeBron?

The team picking alone makes the event worth paying attention to, whereas before it was never something I bothered to watch.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Isn't this better than the East team losing by 50 points because the West has all the best players except for LeBron?

If that had ever happened, maybe. 8 of the last 10 games have been decided by 10 points or less, and 5 of them by 5 or less.

It's generally been competitive on the scoreboard, it's just the defense that's a complete travesty, and I'm not sure this does anything to fix that. Plus it's not like the captains are guaranteed to pick balanced teams either.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

They'll be picked since there are still 12 players from each conference, but they will probably go #22, #23, and #24.

This probably just tries to negate the advantage the West have over the East in terms of too much talent out west that can still play for an "east" team.

I hate the idea. It's not like the West will be better than the East forever; it's just that way right now. The East vs. West rivalry provides some recognition and camaraderie. I agree this is just going to get confusing for the casual fan.

It didn't work in the NFL, I don't see it working here.