Author Topic: What's the role of Terry Rozier on this team  (Read 5968 times)

What's the role of Terry Rozier on this team
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
With Brown moving to SG and Smart running the bench offence, what is the role of Rozier on this team?

Rozier has similar skill set to Smart and Brown, and Larkin looks more comfortable being a point guard. If Brown and Tatum develop as expected, there will be less minutes for Rozier. So is Rozier's role on this team just a 5th guard off the bench to provide some spark and energy?

Re: What's the role of Terry Rozier on this team
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:37:36 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Rozier still has a role on this team, and it could be significant in terms of having a good shooter off the bench.  He is not quite a point guard, and Larkin certainly has better PG skills, but there's a reason Larkin bounced around the league and played in Spain last year:  He is very small, smaller than IT actually.  Brown seems to be ahead of Rozier in the backcourt rotation, but it seems Rozier is still a better shooter than Brown.  I am also a litte suspicious of Brown's defense; seems Batum was beating him consistently during he 3rd quarter.

Tatum is a 3/4 so I don't see him as taking any guard minutes from Rozier.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:50:20 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Rozier still has a role on this team, and it could be significant in terms of having a good shooter off the bench.  He is not quite a point guard, and Larkin certainly has better PG skills, but there's a reason Larkin bounced around the league and played in Spain last year:  He is very small, smaller than IT actually.  Brown seems to be ahead of Rozier in the backcourt rotation, but it seems Rozier is still a better shooter than Brown.  I am also a litte suspicious of Brown's defense; seems Batum was beating him consistently during he 3rd quarter.

I don't agree with that at all. Rozier has shot 22.2% and 31.8% on threes for his first 2 seasons, while Brown shot 34.1% last year (albeit on 0.7 less 3PA/g). I trust Brown as a shooter way more than I trust Rozier
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Larkin situation is scary if you're a Rozier fan. Larkin is a pure PG and the offense just runs so much better with him in control. Larkin is especially good in the PNR which is vital in today's game. It seems that his experience overseas was a great one.

As for Rozier, he doesn't have the mindset of a PG and doesn't move the ball. He's a 2 guard/scorer at heart, but then has issues with his shooting and finishing at the basket so...what then?

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
His role is to be the next first rounder to hop on the bus out of town when his contract is up.

...maybe that's more of a Destiny.

I guess is role is to be an energy guy off the bench and hopefully continue to develop.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I don't agree with that at all. Rozier has shot 22.2% and 31.8% on threes for his first 2 seasons, while Brown shot 34.1% last year (albeit on 0.7 less 3PA/g). I trust Brown as a shooter way more than I trust Rozier
I haven't understood that repeated thought process either. If Brown has even half of the jump that Rozier did between years 1 and 2 % wise, he is up around 38% from 3 haha. I guess if you went by the eye test, Rozier may be better than Brown at off the dribble 3s, but Brown is far more advanced at catch and shoot. Granted I have no idea if its true or not, but I groan when Rozier jacks up a 3 once in a while. Brown seems content to play within his game, and let the flow of the offense come to him. If he is a catch and shoot 34-35% 3pt shooter this year, who slashes using his athleticism, he has infinite more value than Terry.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

I think the shooter off the bench role is what's needed by this team but not what Rozier is good at.

I always thought Rozier could be a AB 2.0, but so far he hasn't developed fast enough. With the team getting better each year, there's limited time for him. If Tatum becomes our primary backup 3/4, Brown will stay as our start SG, then there's little minutes left for Rozier to develop.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Larkin is no Shawn Bradley, but he has a couple of inches on IT (5'11" to IT's 5'9"). I do agree that he is more of a pure PG than Rozier, but we will have to see how important that is to Stevens. With Kyrie running the first unit and Smart running the 2nd unit, Larkin won't be as much of a need.

Personally, I prefer Rozier out there pressing his defender, grabbing rebounds, pushing the ball up court, and knocking down outside shots. His athleticism is still through the roof and he had a couple of nice plays last night. He also made the cut this off-season so there is something that the organization sees in him.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Depth & Insurance.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
He's basically the backup SG. I imagine he'll play a lot of time alongside Smart as they're both combo guards. Smart is going to lead the offense though, so even though he's bigger and will guard the bigger guards, he'll be the one running the offense and Rozier will be more off the ball.

I guess the only way he loses that is if Nader really comes on or if Tatum/Hayward prove capable of playing big minutes at the 2.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
HIs role is to be on the floor when Marcus Smart is one of his stupid shot selection modes.  Last not showed Marcus still has no clue as to what is a good shot and what is a stupid one-- plus Marcus still cannot get to the rim nor can Larkin.  Terry will be needed.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
what's the guard depth chart?

Irving / Brown

Smart / Rozier

am i missing anyone so far? safe to say Larkins is 3rd unit? I take it Stevens is still meddling with the starting lineup so perhaps in the preseason we'll see Irving / Smart as well

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Rozier's ceiling is ultimately something similar to Avery Bradley. As with AB, they're still giving him a look at PG, because that player is more valuable as a 1 than a 2.  Ultimately I don't see that working, and expect him to move fully to the 2 -- and that transition will happen over the next season.

There's still a role for him here in the long-term.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
trade bait, salary match.

I just don't see him becoming a big contributor to this team, unless an injury to Irving or Smart necessitates.

I like Larkin playing point more than Rozier.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Rozier as stated will be a two. He had energy. I am hopeful he can be like Vinnie Johnson. I think Larkin will also get some minutes with Smart, too in the Preseason. He looked like he can run the PnR and the O. KI may play some two, too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek