Author Topic: Who makes your all time favorite team?  (Read 3777 times)

Re: Who makes your all time favorite team?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 05:25:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Toine for all his faults was a joy to watch and I would have him on my team.  It wouldn't be conducive to winning, but I would have fun watching Toine in his prime again.  Probably have AI at the point for similar reasons.  Not sure who else would be on that team, but those two would be a lot of fun.

I loved Antoine so he definitely makes my team. Sorry, jbpats, but I am totally breaking your rules on positions. Below is my all-time favorite team - I think this could work:

PG- Antoine Walker
SG- Dominique Wilkins
SF- Larry Bird
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Hakeem Olajuwon
6th- Jason Terry

The first 5 are obviously a lot more meaningful to me, but I had a weird infatuation with Terry's game when he first broke into the league with the Hawks. His work with Dallas solidified it. Plus, I needed a real guard somewhere on my roster. Walton, McHale, and Havlicek as 6th men seem like cop-outs to me  :P

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
PG: Steve Nash
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Charles Barkley
C:  Hakeem Olajuwon

6th Man: Kevin McHale

Any era, but I'll go with today's game.

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
All players in their prime

Nash
Pierce  (played SG early in his career)
Kawhi
Garnett
Duncan

Sixth -- Ginobili
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
PG - Penny Hardaway (mid 90s)
SG - Paul Pierce (2002)
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Shawn Kemp (SEA era)
C - Shaq (ORL era)

6th Man - Eddie House

Just thinking about those who really entertained me as a kid & teen.  Then my attachment to both the '02 & '08 Celtics teams who were the two C's teams that have probably left the biggest mark on me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Ok, Prime Sabas COULD pass..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tnToDLHV4

Yeah he'd man my All-Time Favorite team at Center. Easily. Simply dominant.

Cold War politics :'( :'(

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Wait...maybe I can improve on this....team ....to....watch

PG...Mila Kunis
SG...Maryln Monroe
SF...Audrey Hepburn
PF...Christie Brinkley
C...Elizabeth Hurley

6th man....Kate Middleton

Now I just need a coach

Audrey Hepburn at small forward!?
Audrey out at the SF with Blake Lively in, she's got the reach for maybe 6 RPG.

Liz Hurley at center is perfect....she's 5'8" without heels.

Monroe at the two has got me concerned, she'll be in the corner ready for a three, I got that, but, she's too easily distracted by the guys in the front row hitting on her. Halle Berry has a solid perimeter game and anyway? This team as currently constructed, is waaay too white.

Have Sophia Loren run the point, tough Italian girl who gives up nothing in the scenery department.

Middleton off the bench? a) Too many really good looking english girls for one team and b) she'll be on IR with one pregnancy after the other...what about cohesion for this squad? Rooney Mara is a slasher ("Bloody Mary/Nightmare on Elm St."), she'll give you the deadly inside presence you need late in games.

Gisele Bundchen (coach) has the solid professional sports background to run this club.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
PG - Penny Hardaway (mid 90s)
SG - Paul Pierce (2002)
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Shawn Kemp (SEA era)
C - Shaq (ORL era)

6th Man - Eddie House

Just thinking about those who really entertained me as a kid & teen.  Then my attachment to both the '02 & '08 Celtics teams who were the two C's teams that have probably left the biggest mark on me.

I loved those two together so much on that 2nd Dream Team in 1994.

Physically and athletically, overwhelming speed and power.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Kidd
Manu
Grant Hill
Kemp (1st favorite)
Olajuwon
6th man - Kawhi
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wait...maybe I can improve on this....team ....to....watch

PG...Mila Kunis
SG...Maryln Monroe
SF...Audrey Hepburn
PF...Christie Brinkley
C...Elizabeth Hurley

6th man....Kate Middleton

Now I just need a coach

Audrey Hepburn at small forward!?
Audrey out at the SF with Blake Lively in, she's got the reach for maybe 6 RPG.

Liz Hurley at center is perfect....she's 5'8" without heels.

Monroe at the two has got me concerned, she'll be in the corner ready for a three, I got that, but, she's too easily distracted by the guys in the front row hitting on her. Halle Berry has a solid perimeter game and anyway? This team as currently constructed, is waaay too white.

Have Sophia Loren run the point, tough Italian girl who gives up nothing in the scenery department.

Middleton off the bench? a) Too many really good looking english girls for one team and b) she'll be on IR with one pregnancy after the other...what about cohesion for this squad? Rooney Mara is a slasher ("Bloody Mary/Nightmare on Elm St."), she'll give you the deadly inside presence you need late in games.

Gisele Bundchen (coach) has the solid professional sports background to run this club.
That's it.  Monroe. You're cut. Sophia Loren. You're in.

I don't think Bridget Bardot can make this team. It's that competitive. I do think Sophia can box out on boards

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Rondo
Brandon Roy
T-Mac
KG
Shaq
6th man: S.Marbury :) - my older brother was a huge early day KG fan and since I looked up to him, I decided I'd be a Stephon to his Kevin, lol

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just who I would enjoy watching?

Hakeem
Barkley
Bird
Pierce
IT

I'm really undecided on the 6th man. I'm leaning toward KG, but McHale was dang fun to watch too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Here is mine:

PG - John Stockton
The best pure passer / playmaker ever to play the game, and the perfect guy for any star studded line-up because he's perfectly only taking 4 shots a game if that's what is best for the team - yet if you need him to score more on any given night he's more than capable.  As a bonus he's one of the most efficient offensive guards ever to play the game (career 51.5% FG, 38.4% 3PT, 82.6% FT, 1.44 PTS/FGA, 3.75 AST/TO) as well as being one of the best defensive Point Guards of all time.  Plus he's a proven winner, making the playoffs every single season of his career (something like 18 straight seasons) even at the age of 40.  His ability to stretch the floor with elite shooting makes him a perfect fit in any era, with any teammates.

SG: Michael Jordan
Sorry, I know it's unoriginal but I had to go with MJ at the two.  He's the greatest SG to ever play the game, one of the most dominant defensive guards in the history of the game, an absolute winner and competitor of the highest level, o0ne of the most clutch players in history, and one of the most dominant one-on-one scorers ever to play the game. 

SF - Larry Bird
For all his strengths, MJ wasn't ever really a great outside shooter - so to ensure the team can still excel in today's game, I figured you'll want at least 3 deadly shooters on the court with him.  I also think that you always want guys who are versatile - guys who can play/guard multiple positions and contribute in many ways.  Larry Bird is one of the best shooters to play the game, but he was also passed the ball like a PG and rebounded like a centre - and was aan outstanding defender.  Having Bird and Stockton on the perimeter gives MJ all the space he needs to get in to the paint at will.

PF - Kevin Garnett
This may seem an odd choice, as I'm sure there are better PF's who have played the game.  But I select prime KG for this team for a number of reasons.  Firstly, he's well and truly one of the greatest passing big men ever to play the game (almost 4 APG for his career) and that makes him deadly on a team that also features Stockton, Jordan, Bird and Shaq (who himself, was a skilled passer.  That's a lot of ball movement right there.  Secondly, KG had a similar mentality to Stockton in that he was a very unselfish superstar - a very capable scorer, but actually PREFERRED to get teammates involved whenever it was possible.  This unselfishness makes him a fantastic fit on a team where Bird, MJ and Shaq will already be battling for touches.  Then on top of that, you have KG's elite agility and explosive athleticism - a stark contrast to Shaq's sheer size and power.  With those two guys side by side you might have the scariest defence in the history of the game.  Then on top of that you also have KG's elite ability to hit those long two's (and could no doubt step out and hit the odd three if he had to) which helps to stretch the floor and give MJ and Shaq room to work.  Finally, there is the mental aspect.  Between Stockton, Jordan, Bird, KG and Shaq - you have got 5 of the most mentally intimidating players of all time.  All of those guys have the elite ability to get in to an opponents head with their combination of limitless trash talk and physical play.   

C - Shaquille Oneal
I considered a variety of other players (such as Kareem and Hakeem) but at the end of the day I settled on Shaq, simply because I feel every team benefits from a dominant paint presence, and Shaq may well be the most dominant paint player in NBA history.  Between his unstoppable inside scoring, his elite rebounding and shot-blocking (career 11 RPG, 2.3 BPG), Shaq was a guy who utterly dominated the paint when he was fit and healthy.  There were elite big men who were literally scared to play against him because he was THAT monstrous a force.  Nobody wants to drive in to the paint when they have a 315 pound (at his most athletic) monster waiting to knock them to their butts - and he was not afraid to do exactly that.

6th man - Lamar Odom
In his prime Odom was a 6'10" guy who could genuinely play and defend all five positions on the court.  He could score, shoot, pass, rebound and handle the ball as well as being an excellent and incredibly versatile defensive player - and he was a legit 6th many for a number of his prime seasons for the Lakers.  He was the X-Factor for a LA in a couple of their finals runs and created massive matchup problems for opponents off the bench.  Hard to think of a better 6th man who can come in at literally any position and contribute to your tem in just about any way you could possibly imagine, and doesn't need the ball to contribute.

That's my all time team.  I think it would be frighting as ell for any team to play against!

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Sherman Douglas
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Shawn Kemp
Dirk at center.

Bench- Isiah Thomas, Lloyd Daniels.
Random scrubs I used to love- Stojko Vrankovic, Jerome Moiso, Chris Heren, Quinn Buckner, Richard Dumas.

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jason Kidd
Kawhi Leonard
Larry Bird
Karl Malone
Hakeem Olajuwon

Pierce, Petrovic, Eaton, Bogues and McHale off the bench
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I started watching basketball around 2001 and I'm going to keep it to guys I watched play.

PG - Steph Curry
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Lebron James
C  - Ben Wallace

6th Man - Leon Powe
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008