Author Topic: Do you find the 3 ball era to be boring?  (Read 13250 times)

Re: Do you find the 3 ball era to be boring?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Do you all believe the 3 point line should be pushed back? These guys in the league are just too good at nailing this shot now. I prefered it when only a handful of 'marksmen' in the league were draining it with consistency.

I wouldn't be opposed to killing off the corner 3. They could just make the arc continue it's path until it goes out of bounds somewhere around where the FT line is.

I find lack of defense boring.  I think making it easier to draw a foul out at the perimeter than under the hoop....thereby drawing bigs further from the hoop....to be sorta silly.

Basically you aren't allowed to defend guards....so everybody has to be a guard now.

I think that's odd.

The same thing happened in football to create video game passing #s.  It's not my preference but I can't say I find it boring

Yeah, this is my thought, too. TP. All bigs need to play like guards now, but they aren't as quick as guards so they automatically aren't as good. It's almost like the league decided to discriminate against PF/C and change all of the rules to benefit guards (hand-checking, really?) - they don't even require a C to play in the All-Star game anymore. That's how out of fashion they've become.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's really a shame because a good center is part of great basketball.  You can affect a ton from a center spot

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'll take today's game over iso-backdown basketball of 20 years ago.

And don't forget that all those 3s aren't merely the result of the length of the line. The allowing of zones helped clog the lane.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Do you all believe the 3 point line should be pushed back? These guys in the league are just too good at nailing this shot now. I prefered it when only a handful of 'marksmen' in the league were draining it with consistency.

They should make corner threes the same distance as above the break 3s, which would entail slightly widening the court to account for increased athleticism and still have room for corner threes. 

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

And don't forget that all those 3s aren't merely the result of the length of the line. The allowing of zones helped clog the lane.
I admit I hated hack a Shaq, but I loved it when Rodman beat him one on one. Also loved watching guys like Sabonis, and even Bill Wennington moving out to the three line, because they could do that....and then hit the streaking pg running past him.

Great players (and coaches) make great basketball. Not great rules

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think the 3 ball era has also led to too many players deep in their 30s hanging around.  Not good. Kobe Bryant would have had to do 2 years in the G league if he were around today. 

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I'm on the fence personally.

Edit: I'm not sure why it posted before I could finish but...

I'm on the fence personally. When the shot works, good, but when the whole team is off it's nauseating to see the team continue to launch 3's. It's gross.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I like the three ball alot ......but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the old school contact , let the big boys  ruff it up more.

Give Drummond something to do.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don't think the 3 ball is boring. I like ball movement. What I don't like is the lack of defense. i think the rules are stacked against perimeter defenders, which makes what Smart, AB, Kawhi, TA, etc. do really impressive.
- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
 I think the most "exciting" plays are dribble penetration, and pick and roll plays - which are 90% of NBA plays. Part of the reason for this is that 3 point shooting provides spacing and a bail out for the roll player.

It's probably easier to find talented guards, than it is to find guys like Shaq, or Hakeem Olajuwon. Dream was probably one of my favourite players of all time to watch. Every time he got the ball it was exciting. But who played like that - even in the "big man" era of the late 90s? He was a unique talent.

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I miss this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Td5QRfzj4

How much defense was played in those days outside of crunch time?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I find spacing and ball movement a lot more interesting than isolations, post-ups, and a bunch of guys hanging out in the lane, but that's just me.

I suppose it's all about what style of play you find most appealing.

To me, the most fun to watch team I can remember is the 2014 Spurs, followed by the 2010 Suns.  The 2011 Mavericks were pretty fun as well.

I like free flowing, relatively fast paced, ball-movement basketball, with a healthy dose of pick and roll.

With all of that said, it does get irritating watching teams that seem to have no interest in creating any kind of shot other than a three pointer.  When all you take is three pointers, statistically speaking there are going to be a lot of bricks, even if you end up scoring 120 points. 

I would say, though, in terms of teams playing with a more analytical bent, the teams that try to generate 30-40 free throws a game (i.e. Harden Rockets) are a lot more annoying to watch than the teams that jack lots of threes.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It's probably easier to find talented guards, than it is to find guys like Shaq, or Hakeem Olajuwon.

This is a good point.  In a small ball league, there are more opportunities for the most talented (read: offensively skilled and creative) players to get on the floor.

Generally speaking I think a game between two teams that each feature 3-4 skilled shooter/ballhandlers on the floor at any given time is going to be far more entertaining than a game between two teams whose gameplans revolve around a couple bruising post-up behemoths.

With all of that said, I think there is something to the idea of eliminating the corner three, if only because as things stand it is often advantageous for a team to have one or two of their forwards simply hang out in the corner and take spot-up threes.  It's sad to realize that a team might be better off with a limited spot-up shooter who stays out of the way than, say, Zach Randolph.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Amen to both points. A lot of NBA games became borderline unwatchable for a lot of the 1990s -- the Knicks and Pistons especially.

The other thing about 1990s ball is that slow, beefy guards could make a living with hand checks that looked a lot like wrestling. I'm not disappointed, at all, that we now have lighter, quicker guys who play a more versatile game.  Somebody like Isaiah might still have been good in the 1990s, but he'd be a lot less good if the Mark Jacksons of the world could ride him with a hand and stop him changing speeds quickly.