Author Topic: Deadliest Mass Shooting In US history: Las Vegas 50+ dead, 200 hundred injured.  (Read 6931 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 787
Killer had NINETEEN long guns in his room, two on tripods, with over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/las-vegas-shooting.html?

I don't like the Monday morning QBing of these events, but he must have made a LOT of trips up to his room with long duffel bags to get a small armory in there. Wish someone had noticed.

How about the Maids in his room? Maybe something as simple as letting the front desk know when a person has that much firepower in a room, to put him on a red flag list, that way they could have stopped him quickly after it started.

Are you an adult? I'm not trying to be mean, but that's something my 10year old would say.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Killer had NINETEEN long guns in his room, two on tripods, with over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

I don't like the Monday morning QBing of these events, but he must have made a LOT of trips up to his room with long duffel bags to get a small armory in there. Wish someone had noticed.

How about the Maids in his room? Maybe something as simple as letting the front desk know when a person has that much firepower in a room, to put him on a red flag list, that way they could have stopped him quickly after it started.

Are you an adult? I'm not trying to be mean, but that's something my 10year old would say.

Yeah that's mean and probably unnecessary.

Re: the gun debate -- like virtually everyone, I don't know what strategies will make things better.  The ONLY thing that matters to me is that the conversation is allowed to happen.  In other words,  shutting things down based on 2nd amendment rigidity before possibilities can even be discussed is the only thing I am vehemently opposed to.   

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 935
Here we go again with the "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" argument.  While the sentiment may be true, it is not a good enough reason IMO to not enact stronger common-sense gun laws.  Reducing and discouraging illegitimate gun ownership by any means possible is worthwhile.

Nope, I believe in reasonable gun control.   No one needs high capacity magazines and unlike you I wager,  I have handled assault weapons against Iraqis.  I don't think civilians need those.  I think the mentally ill should be banned from having them.   

But I realize something you don't in your naivety.  Prohibition did not stop the selling of liqour.   Making Drugs illegal did not stop drugs.  Harm Reduction which is supposed to save lives does not prevent the 91 or so overdoses every day.   Drunk drivers still drive drunk.  You can't legislate morality.

You can pretend it would help.   But guess what these guys use trucks when they don't have guns.  Bad peeps would still get weapons because automatic guns are already illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_attack

87 dead are you going to make those illegal? 

I think we are on the same side on this issue.   I just feel that people will ignore what laws they don't agree with.   Look at speeding on the roads.   It is human nature.

BTW silencers only suppress the sound not make it go away like the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZU5TGljAmw

Not much difference.

Offline Eddie20

• Tiny Archibald

But making a wild assumption that the shooter was having maids come in daily to make the bed and switch out towels is okay? That's basically saying the maids are partially to blame for the deaths of 59 victims.

Offline Diggles

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 35
https://www.yahoo.com/news/gunman-killed-50-las-vegas-150900674.html

I thought someone said he had a criminal background.   Sounds like maybe he did maybe he didn't.   

His father was a bank robber? 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dark-details-come-light-las-173419547.html

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5149
Hope people start seeing that mental illness doesn't always coincide with these mass shootings. This guy was stable from all reports coming out and was a millionaire. No mental illness. Just an immoral, evil man, which IMO has more to do with these mass shootings than mental illness.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -27981
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Hope people start seeing that mental illness doesn't always coincide with these mass shootings. This guy was stable from all reports coming out and was a millionaire. No mental illness. Just an immoral, evil man, which IMO has more to do with these mass shootings than mental illness.

Can a truly sane person do something like this?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley

But making a wild assumption that the shooter was having maids come in daily to make the bed and switch out towels is okay? That's basically saying the maids are partially to blame for the deaths of 59 victims.

If you are looking for a nicer way to say it, how about -- I think you are unfairly blaming maids who probably had no idea that he had the guns.   

No big deal and not worth another post.  You can be mean if you want to be -- I'm sure KGLL can take it (and can defend himself).  I should have stayed out of it.

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5149

Yes, of course. Anger can be a very strong motivating factor, for instance.

I have a mental illness. I would never kill someone with a gun. But people are suggesting the mentally ill shouldn't have access to guns, so if that went through I couldn't exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. Mental illness doesn't mean homicidal.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley

If mental illness includes "Axis 2" (character/personality disorders) -- then I'd say he'd likely qualify.  Obviously it's not psychosis, but there's a screw missing.  This type of issue would be less likely identified as folks with personality disorders (like  anti-social personality aka sociopathy) are unlikely to seek help (though many end up in the criminal justice system).

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley

Yes, of course. Anger can be a very strong motivating factor, for instance.

I have a mental illness. I would never kill someone with a gun. But people are suggesting the mentally ill shouldn't have access to guns, so if that went through I couldn't exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. Mental illness doesn't mean homicidal.

Oh -- yes,  I get what you are getting at now.  The VAST majority of folks with diagnosed mental illness are of no greater safety risk than the general population.   How this plays out through the "vetting" process, I have no idea.   

Offline Eddie20

• Tiny Archibald

If you are looking for a nicer way to say it, how about -- I think you are unfairly blaming maids who probably had no idea that he had the guns.   

I'm not trying to be nice either. A comment like that combined with a situation like this demands a certain level of direct bluntness.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -27981
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I'm not trying to be nice either. A comment like that combined with a situation like this demands a certain level of direct bluntness.

Try harder.  Our #1 rule is respect each other at all times.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley
Sorry - wrong thread.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:52:17 PM by Neurotic Guy »

Offline Beat LA

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 688
  • Mr. Emoji
This venue was particularly vulnerable with high rise buildings overlooking an open field crowd. But I do hear what you're saying.

Honestly, I am surprised we do not have more stuff like this shooting.  Bottom line is we are vulnerable but you can't really stop all attacks without giving up a ton of freedom.

Yeah, Australians - living in a nation that literally started as a ****ing penal colony - and the citizens of the United Kingdom, as well as the peoples living within a host of other countries, turned over all of their "freedoms" to their respective governments when those countries did away with handguns, semi-automatic and pump-action non-rim-fire rifles (UK) and semiautomatic and automatic firearms (Australia), and, as a consequence, are now living in police states.  Wait...

Get rid of the guns - all of them.  Institute a mandatory buy-back program like what was done in Australia.  If you want to get your hands on that kind of weaponry enlist in the service.  I hate this "let's have a conversation" crap.  Talk is cheap, and there never should have been a need to have a "conversation" about this issue in the first place - it's common sense.  Fix the problem, and this is before we even get into the fact that the perpetrator of this act of domestic terrorism, as usual, was white.  This country is a joke.

Sadly, this won't be the last time this happens in this country. Maybe not the last time something like this happens this year. There are a lot of evil people in America that have access to guns and with the 2nd Amendment, continued relaxation of gun laws and the NRA lobby, that's not going to change.

My guess is by 2030 there will be twice as many guns in America as there are people. We are the laughing stock of the civilized world with the way we handle guns in this country.

My thoughts and well wishes go out to all the victims and their families.

Amen - TP.