Author Topic: Deadliest Mass Shooting In US history: Las Vegas 50+ dead, 200 hundred injured.  (Read 6934 times)

Offline jpotter33

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2843
I'm in favor of some gun control, very little of which would have helped here.

Limiting high capacity magazines seems sensible.  I'm not opposed to requiring licenses and mandatory training (preferably free of charge) to possess guns. Some sort of mandatory reporting for people diagnosed with certain mental illnesses (so long as there is an appeal process).

Those are sensible. I don't think they're all that burdensome, although requiring a license to exercise a right is problematic. Limit transfers of weapons (I.e. the gun show loophole). Even with all of those implemented tomorrow, though, I doubt there's any real change.

Yeah, the private sale of firearms without background checks is certainly an issue that needs fixing, and it's something the vast majority of people agree with.

I've recently tried selling a 9mm on Armslist, and the amount of sketchy responses I've received is startling. Like literally dozens of potential buyers have contacted me, and each time I've brought up going through a FFL dealer with a background check they stop responding or hang up on me. That's really startling to me.
Quote from:  Ron Swanson
It's never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.

Offline jambr380

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 856
So the first calls came in at 10:08PM and the police finally breached the room at 11:20PM - that seems like an insanely long time to find a room where the windows were already knocked out.

Offline FatKidsDad

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
So the first calls came in at 10:08PM and the police finally breached the room at 11:20PM - that seems like an insanely long time to find a room where the windows were already knocked out.
Try looking up at a tall building - at night - while under automatic weapon fire and tell us how easy it would be to correlate a a broken window and muzzle flash with a specific room number. Is it the 32nd floor? 30th?. Do you start at one end and count the windows over? Is it one window per room? Two?

Once you  think you have the right floor, and you have an idea of which room it might be, are you sure it is a lone gunman? Is there someone waiting for you when you come off the elevator or stairway? Is hallway and door safe, or is it booby trapped? Are bystanders on the floor at risk?

The police have to balance the urgency of the situation with enough caution to be as effective and as safe as they can be.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Try looking up at a tall building - at night - while under automatic weapon fire and tell us how easy it would be to correlate a a broken window and muzzle flash with a specific room number. Is it the 32nd floor? 30th?. Do you start at one end and count the windows over? Is it one window per room? Two?

Once you  think you have the right floor, and you have an idea of which room it might be, are you sure it is a lone gunman? Is there someone waiting for you when you come off the elevator or stairway? Is hallway and door safe, or is it booby trapped? Are bystanders on the floor at risk?

The police have to balance the urgency of the situation with enough caution to be as effective and as safe as they can be.

Apparently they ultimately found him not due to muzzle flash or broken windows but because the firing was so intense that the resulting smoke set off the fire alarms.

On a side note, I've heard a lot of people getting angry that this isn't being labeled as terrorism when attacks committed by other ethnicities nearly immediately are.  They have it backwards.  Waiting for information and context before making a declaration, like now, is exactly what should be happening in all those other cases as well.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If it was easy, they obviously would have found it quickly.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really can't find fault with the reaction time by authorities.  It had to have been chaotic as all hell out there.  Plus its nighttime and you're dealing with high rises.  Must've been a logistical nightmare to pin things down.  I'm sure the sound of the shots was echoing everywhere because of the buildings. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

I can't even find my way to the right place in a large building during the day, with directions when I showed up early.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1167

Does anyone have an intelligent guess as to what kind of weapon? It was fully automatic rifle, with what type of range.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Killer had NINETEEN long guns in his room, two on tripods, with over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/las-vegas-shooting.html?

I don't like the Monday morning QBing of these events, but he must have made a LOT of trips up to his room with long duffel bags to get a small armory in there. Wish someone had noticed.

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5149

Does anyone have an intelligent guess as to what kind of weapon? It was fully automatic rifle, with what type of range.
When you are shooting down 32 stories, you don't need range.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1167
Killer had NINETEEN long guns in his room, two on tripods, with over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

I don't like the Monday morning QBing of these events, but he must have made a LOT of trips up to his room with long duffel bags to get a small armory in there. Wish someone had noticed.

How about the Maids in his room? Maybe something as simple as letting the front desk know when a person has that much firepower in a room, to put him on a red flag list, that way they could have stopped him quickly after it started.

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 805

You could do that with a couple of big bags and a cart from the front desk. 
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 805

How about the Maids in his room? Maybe something as simple as letting the front desk know when a person has that much firepower in a room, to put him on a red flag list, that way they could have stopped him quickly after it started.
You honestly think maids went into that room.  And if they did you honestly believe they would have seen all that weaponry and not said anything?
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 453

Every hotel I have ever stayed at has these:

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 453

You could do that with a couple of big bags and a cart from the front desk.

Yeah, I've often seen people have huge luggage sets portered up to their rooms that would easily handle the amount of hardware described so far.

And a lot of folks bring their golf clubs to 'Vegas in these:

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.