Author Topic: Deadliest Mass Shooting In US history: Las Vegas 50+ dead, 200 hundred injured.  (Read 6996 times)

Offline Beat LA

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 688
  • Mr. Emoji
The whole "black on black" crime "argument" is a load of crap, imo.

But I thought you were a man of stats.  Any murder is too much, they are still going to happen.   The question is what can we do to stop them.   Cop brutality is too much, we need to stop all the the above as much as we can.

Sorry for being so late in getting back to you.  In terms of stats, yes and no.  Statistics can be very useful, yes, but at the same time I think that it's important to remember that they're not exactly the be all and end all in terms of understanding any issue and I'd rather not remove humanity from the equation.

Still, if we're going to continue down that route, here's why I believe that the "black on black" crime "argument" is a load of crap.  Per the Bureau of Justice Statistics, in a four year study conducted from 2008-2012 entitled "Household Poverty And Nonfatal Violent Victimization" it was found that -
  • Persons in poor households at or below the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) (39.8 per 1,000) had more than double the rate of violent victimization as persons in high-income households (16.9 per 1,000).
  • Persons in poor households had a higher rate of violence involving a firearm (3.5 per 1,000) compared to persons above the FPL (0.82.5 per 1,000).
  • The overall pattern of poor persons having the highest rates of violent victimization was consistent for both whites and blacks. However, the rate of violent victimization for Hispanics did not vary across poverty levels.
  • Poor Hispanics (25.3 per 1,000) had lower rates of violence compared to poor whites (46.4 per 1,000) and poor blacks (43.4 per 1,000).
  • Poor persons living in urban areas (43.9 per 1,000) had violent victimization rates similar to poor persons living in rural areas (38.8 per 1,000).
  • Poor urban blacks (51.3 per 1,000) had rates of violence similar to poor urban whites (56.4 per 1,000).

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

Quote from: Celtics4ever
Right, the crime bill and assault weapons ban had at least some impact from 1993-2000, but perhaps the biggest factor in the reduction of crime overall by 26% during that same period was the vibrant economy.  That is, of course, until the whole house of cards, engineered by the Clinton Administration, itself, came crashing down, but that's a story for another day

So you think it primarily economics.   I can respect that BeatLA.   But I think that there other factors.  Like broken families and the like that factor into the equation.  It is not all but it is a part.   I know in African American Families extended family makes up for some of this issue as families are tighter more often.  But I read a quote the "best prevention against gun violence is job."

Oh I agree, economics is hardly the only determining factor, here, but I do believe that one's environment and economic situation, which are, naturally, often intertwined, play a large role in all of this.

The scary thing folks is that people will go out and buy more guns after an event like this one.   Either fear of the event or fear the government is going to take their guns drives sales.   Think about that one.

I know, it's asinine, imo.  It's like an alcoholic believing that having another drink will
somehow bring them closer to sobriety/solve all of their problems.  Ugh.

Also, the NRA is going to come out against the bump stocks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/nra-bump-stocks/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/05/nra-calls-for-atf-review-bump-stocks-new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

That is a pretty strategic move on their part.   I am not an NRA member, I get asked to be all the time being a veteran but I don't share all their views and I believe the 2nd Amendment is enough to protect my modest collections of three guns.   They are a big obstacle to gun control.   Thoughts?

In terms of the nimrod association coming out against bump stocks - woo ::).  Far too little far too late, imo.  Do you get phone calls and/or emails from them asking you to join, or is the invitation extended by, say, fellow veterans and/or friends, and if the organization does send you stuff, what does it say?  Sounds like story time :laugh:. I once found an NRA pamphlet left ;) near the voting booth that I was using some time ago (not for the most recent presidential election) and it was hilarious.  What's not so funny is that they are the, not simply an, obstacle to gun control, but beyond that, it's not solely about guns, as you know.  It's about dealing with a truly ridiculous mindset, at least imo, on a number of different issues.  Have a look at this facebook page appropriately called "Cold Dead Hands" ::) that is "liked" by roughly 1.97 million people :o. The very first post at the top of the feed, from May 20, says the following -

Send the liberals running for the hills with our handmade Six Shooter Leather bullet bracelet! MADE IN THE USA! 🔫🇺🇲

30% OFF FOR A LIMITED TIME! >> CDH2A.COM/SIXSHOOTER

Hand made to fit YOUR WRIST and caliber, with 13 color choices! It makes a great gift!

Support an american small business and get a custom fit bracelet!

Who needs one? Fathers Day is coming!️

Sounds like freedom to me ::).  Pink better be one of the 13 available colors, btw - it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month ::).

https://www.facebook.com/colddeadhands/