Author Topic: Deadliest Mass Shooting In US history: Las Vegas 50+ dead, 200 hundred injured.  (Read 6935 times)

Online saltlover

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 2089
Maybe let the bodies, of the many victims senselessly and tragically killed, get cold before we start arguing that tired gun debate?

Okay, how about we cite to many of the other similar (but slightly lesser events) in recent years then? Or how about we note that as of yesterday, the House was planning to vote on two laws that further increased access to guns and silencers later this week?  http://www.sfchronicle.com/nation/amp/Pair-of-pro-gun-bills-on-move-in-House-12243745.php 

If Congress gets to keep voting to continue down this path, why should we have to stop talking about it because the very things we're arguing that we want to prevent keep occurring?  That's nonsense.

Also, I'm sorry that you find the gun debate "tired" even after so many were just killed by a single person.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:55:20 AM by saltlover »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1112
We should ban the banned gun the shooter used.

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
@BrianRoss: Las Vegas suspect had no criminal record, had pilot's license, Alaska hunting license & was accountant abcn.ws/2hGPwrW

https://twitter.com/abc/status/914826000692690946

Offline triboy16f

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 451
@BrianRoss: Las Vegas suspect had no criminal record, had pilot's license, Alaska hunting license & was accountant abcn.ws/2hGPwrW

He is on his way to hell

What is wrong with these people?

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

He is on his way to hell

What is wrong with these people?

All speculation at this point

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 495

But how are people getting these guns at all? Why do they even make them for anything other than military use?

And it's not like the AR-15 used in the Pulse massacre is much better. I won't go on about guns, but it is a real debate that always gets shut down after some time has passed.

The same way a drug user or dealer gets his drugs.  It's brought in illegally and sold on a illegal market
Greg

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • What a Pub Should Be
Columbine was nearly two decades ago and, seemingly, nothing has changed since then even though we seem to have these events on a yearly if not more regular occurrence.

They'll be yelling & screaming from both sides of the gun debate but no action to remedy seems like is ever taken.

Extremely sad & frustrating.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Illegal gun was used in the shooting and illegal attachment.

What a bad guy got am illegal gun despite it being against the law?  Gun laws only work for honest people, just as locked doors only stop an honest man.

Here we go again with the "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" argument.  While the sentiment may be true, it is not a good enough reason IMO to not enact stronger common-sense gun laws.  Reducing and discouraging illegitimate gun ownership by any means possible is worthwhile.

The argument that if a law is not 100% effective it is useless is an argument against having laws at all. At least no one's trying to pretend a "good guy with a gun" had any chance here. Apparently it can be legal to own a fully automatic weapon in Nevada, but stricter gun control laws still may not have stopped this attack; we don't know yet.  But that's not the point. You don't try to stop the last mass shooting, you try to prevent or at least minimize the next one. And the one after that, and after that, and after that. Because if there's one thing everyone should be crystal clear on, it's that there will be more.

My heart goes out to the victims of this attack and the families of the dead. As well as to the future victims whose deaths are preventable but likely inevitable because we've become too calcified in our views to even attempt to do anything at all save watch it happen over and over and over again.

Online saltlover

• Satch Sanders

Not getting your point. Mine is that hunters don't need that many guns and those type of guns (he had 8 with him) for sport, and certainly don't need that much ammunition.  Even if they're hunting grizzly bears in Alaska.  They don't need the silencers he'd be able to get, and likely would have owned, should that bill pass.

The government tracks how much Sudafed I buy because I might start a meth man in my basement, but heaven forbid we limit how much ammunition someone can purchase.  Because people have lawful needs for a 1,000 rounds of armor-piercing ammunition (also to be widely available should the law I mentioned earlier pass Congress) and the burden for such lawful people acquiring it would just be too high to warrant making even an effort at preventing the ever-increasing death toll from mass shootings.

The record for the deadliest mass shooting stood for just over 15 months.  How long will this one last for?

Online saltlover

• Satch Sanders

But how are people getting these guns at all? Why do they even make them for anything other than military use?

And it's not like the AR-15 used in the Pulse massacre is much better. I won't go on about guns, but it is a real debate that always gets shut down after some time has passed.

The same way a drug user or dealer gets his drugs.  It's brought in illegally and sold on a illegal market

You mean the gun show market?  I'm going to be surprised if any of this man's weapons were illegal.

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
I didn't have a point other than to update the thread with the latest information. I'm not interested in the gun discussion.

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

Did he have CTE?

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders

Pictured: Stephen Paddock, man suspected of killing over 50 people in Las Vegas dailym.ai/2xNlMgS

Offline jpotter33

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2843
Maybe let the bodies, of the many victims senselessly and tragically killed, get cold before we start arguing that tired gun debate?

Okay, how about we cite to many of the other similar (but slightly lesser events) in recent years then? Or how about we note that as of yesterday, the House was planning to vote on two laws that further increased access to guns and silencers later this week?  http://www.sfchronicle.com/nation/amp/Pair-of-pro-gun-bills-on-move-in-House-12243745.php 

If Congress gets to keep voting to continue down this path, why should we have to stop talking about it because the very things we're arguing that we want to prevent keep occurring?  That's nonsense.

Also, I'm sorry that you find the gun debate "tired" even after so many were just killed by a single person.

People need to do actual research about gun "silencers" and what they do. Hollywood has created huge misconceptions about the efficacy of gun "silencers" and how much they actually muffle sound. It's to help reduce some recoil and muffle the sound enough to protect the shooter's hearing, which is very beneficial to sportsmen and hunters who do a lot of shooting. People act like allowing silencers will lead to silent executions and gunfire, but those fears just aren't based in reality. Watch some YouTube videos to see just how "silent" these silencers make guns (Hint: they don't).

The other piece about concealed carry reciprocity is a bit more controversial. While I do think federal concealed carry reciprocity should trump state laws due to the second amendment being a federally protected right of US citizens, the "constitutional carry" states that don't require training or licensure for concealed carry make me hesitant on this. There absolutely should be some amount of training required to concealed carry.

I just became a CCW holder in Ohio, and I had to take a day-long course in pistol carrying safety and gun law to get my license. This included both a written test and a shooting competency test at the range. I think some kind of training like this should be required to be able to legally take advantage of concealed carry reciprocity across state lines.

EDIT: Statistics have even empirically proven that CCW holders who go through these types of training are some of the most law-abiding citizens in the US, so there shouldn't be any issue with mandated concealed carry reciprocity - as long there's required training to get the CCW license.
Quote from:  Ron Swanson
It's never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.

Offline jpotter33

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2843

You mean the gun show market?  I'm going to be surprised if any of this man's weapons were illegal.

Yeah, the "gun show loophole" - which is a misleading misnomer itself because it's a private sale loophole - has nothing to do with this. If it was in fact an automatic weapon, which all reports indicate it was, then he had to go through an extensive process of background checks and registering the weapon through a Federal Firearm License dealer in order to legally obtain the gun.

If he bought it privately and/or at a gun show (no way that happened privately at a gun show), then he bought it illegally, no different than a coke dealer selling drugs illegally.
Quote from:  Ron Swanson
It's never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.