Author Topic: Is Thibs a career-ender?  (Read 1694 times)

Is Thibs a career-ender?
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:35 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I know it would be impossible to prove this, but I wonder if Tom Thibodeau's hard regime strongly contributed to the downfall of his star players. Noah, Boozer, Gibson, Deng and most notably Rose all sustained some-what career ending injuries under Thibs, and while most had sustained injuries before Thibs arrived, perhaps his attrition style of coaching may have significantly shorted their careers making their injuries much, much worse. This ideology is contrary to what sports science is telling teams and given how well resting and restricting minutes has worked for Spurs, Heat, Warriors, Cavs, you would have to suspect the science is correct.

Under the coaches leadership, the team’s best players – initially Rose, Deng and Noah and later Butler – consistently shouldered an extreme load. When Thibs arrived, Deng was a six-year veteran who had averaged 34.2 minutes a game for his career. In the next three and a half years, before being traded to the Cavs, he was ramped up to 38.9 minutes a game, leading the league in the category in both 2011-12 and 2012-13. Rose and Noah also made appearances in the league’s top twenty in minutes per game under Thibs, and Butler was asked to play 38.7 minutes a game two years in a row (second in the league in 2013-14, far and away the league leader in 2014-15.) There’s no way that any other coach would have played the 2013-14 version of Butler, a player who showed promise but did not yet hit even 40 percent of his shots, anywhere near that many minutes. By comparison, in his first year under Fred Hoiberg, Butler played much better on a considerably worse team but played just 36.9 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:20:09 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Is Thibs a career-ender?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Father time has done his share of damage to that group.  Rose is injury prone, I think.   Thibs does play guys a lot of minutes and wants them to play on both ends.  Some of the extended minutes is on the GM if you have no bench of merit, too.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I don't think he is a career ender.
He is just a coach that wants his best players on the floor, to give him and them the best chance to win. That, win-now mindset, is truly opposed to TT's POBO role. A person in that spot should think short-term/midterm and longterm and not just short-term as most NBA coaches do.

Thibs IMO is a good coach, a great defensive mind, but not a top 5 coach (Pop, Carlisle, CBS, Spoelstra, Kerr). It is an offensive game now (offense dictates the tempo and game result more than the defense) and Thibs want to upsize with a slow 7 footer or a 5 next to KAT. Inferior offensive approach. I am also very eager to see the Butler/Wiggins wing pairing, expecting suboptimal results, due to team spacing (Teague isn't a spacer too), Wiggins's lacking floor game and TT's stubbornness to modernize the offense up to date.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I couldnt believe the box score of his first pre season game and seeing a guy like Gibson get 28 minutes.

Love Thibs but come one man. Give em a rest.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I couldnt believe the box score of his first pre season game and seeing a guy like Gibson get 28 minutes.

It's only 4 preseason games though. And like us they have a lot of new pieces to gel together. I wouldn't be surprised if our guys play a lot of minutes in at least 2 of the four games.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I do think he plays his stars too many minutes. I don't think he gets the blame for all those guys and some of it could be attributed to a domino effect (Rose going down put a strain on the rest of the team). I think Noah in particular would still be an effective player today had his minutes been managed better.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It's only 4 preseason games though. And like us they have a lot of new pieces to gel together. I wouldn't be surprised if our guys play a lot of minutes in at least 2 of the four games.

Actually they only play 3. I agree with you, though. 28 minutes is not a lot when you're trying to integrate a player and have limited games to do so.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Actually they only play 3. I agree with you, though. 28 minutes is not a lot when you're trying to integrate a player and have limited games to do so.

Did they cancel one, because I see two vs Char and two vs Phil on two different sites.