Author Topic: Report: Lue debating upon making Love the starting center this season  (Read 4723 times)

Re: Report: Lue debating upon making Love the starting center this season
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm really looking forward to seeing how many points per 100 possessions Thomas, Wade, Smith, Bron, and Love give up.

All of them.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Korver will play a lot more than 6 minutes a game.

Who do you think gets the short end of the sticks minute wise though? They really have created a logjam for themselves in the backcourt, and to a lesser extent small forward. Is James a fulltime power forward now?
I would imagine that the main regular season rotation (with a healthy Thomas) for them will be something like this

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SG - Wade 28, Smith 18, Korver 2
SF - James 38, Korver 10
PF - Crowder 28, Thompson 20
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I really don't think Green, Jefferson, or Shumpert plays in the healthy regular rotation at all.  Same with Frye or Calderon.  I would expect Osman, Felder, and Zizic (if they make the team to be in the GLeague all season - though they only have 1 roster spot if all of those other guys are still on the roster)

Obviously without Thomas, that opens a lot more minutes.  And while Thompson isn't starting, I do expect him to play a lot with Love and still get starter level minutes.

I see that rotation getting both Smith and Rose very upset. Rose is essentially on a make good contract in his late 20's. If he is only able to play 18 minutes a game it is going to keep him at low level minutes, stats and salary next year after getting 20 million less than he wanted this year. Do you think he really has just turned over a new leaf and only cares about winning?

Jr Smith also seems like an extremely combustible player (as we have seen in the past). He has averaged 30 minutes a game the last 3 years in Cleveland. Will he not throw a fit having that reduced 50% or more?

I feel like they really have created a lot of potential chemistry problems for themselves with the signing of wade.
Rose has at least until January till Thomas even plays and Thomas isn't going to be at full strength for awhile after that.  That also means Smith is getting a lot more minutes during that period as well.  Come playoff time, I don't think either will throw a stink about a few less minutes if the team is winning. 

So for the first few months of the season the rotation will be something like this

PG - Rose 28, Wade 15, Calderon 5
SG - Wade 13, Smith 30, Korver 5
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I expect Rose, James, and Wade to all take nights off so that will open up even more minutes for players.

Kind of seems like holding your nose and hoping injuries and rest keep a bunch of players with big egos happy. That seems like a recipe for disaster. Also it is not like Wade or Smith are strangers to winning that will just be elated to be playing on a good team after spending an entire lengthy career on lottery teams. Rose has given many many comments that he still views himself as a superstar the last few years. Not sure where you are guessing he has a whole new personality this year because he had no interest on free agent market.
Rose signed for less money to go to Cleveland (LA for example offered him more money and a bigger role) that had Irving firmly entrenched as the starting PG at the time he signed.  He clearly knew he wasn't getting starter minutes and thus must have been ok with it or he would have signed with the Lakers for double the money and a bigger defined role.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Who do you think gets the short end of the sticks minute wise though? They really have created a logjam for themselves in the backcourt, and to a lesser extent small forward. Is James a fulltime power forward now?
I would imagine that the main regular season rotation (with a healthy Thomas) for them will be something like this

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I really don't think Green, Jefferson, or Shumpert plays in the healthy regular rotation at all.  Same with Frye or Calderon.  I would expect Osman, Felder, and Zizic (if they make the team to be in the GLeague all season - though they only have 1 roster spot if all of those other guys are still on the roster)

Obviously without Thomas, that opens a lot more minutes.  And while Thompson isn't starting, I do expect him to play a lot with Love and still get starter level minutes.

I see that rotation getting both Smith and Rose very upset. Rose is essentially on a make good contract in his late 20's. If he is only able to play 18 minutes a game it is going to keep him at low level minutes, stats and salary next year after getting 20 million less than he wanted this year. Do you think he really has just turned over a new leaf and only cares about winning?

Jr Smith also seems like an extremely combustible player (as we have seen in the past). He has averaged 30 minutes a game the last 3 years in Cleveland. Will he not throw a fit having that reduced 50% or more?

I feel like they really have created a lot of potential chemistry problems for themselves with the signing of wade.
Rose has at least until January till Thomas even plays and Thomas isn't going to be at full strength for awhile after that.  That also means Smith is getting a lot more minutes during that period as well.  Come playoff time, I don't think either will throw a stink about a few less minutes if the team is winning. 

So for the first few months of the season the rotation will be something like this

SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I expect Rose, James, and Wade to all take nights off so that will open up even more minutes for players.

Kind of seems like holding your nose and hoping injuries and rest keep a bunch of players with big egos happy. That seems like a recipe for disaster. Also it is not like Wade or Smith are strangers to winning that will just be elated to be playing on a good team after spending an entire lengthy career on lottery teams. Rose has given many many comments that he still views himself as a superstar the last few years. Not sure where you are guessing he has a whole new personality this year because he had no interest on free agent market.
Rose signed for less money to go to Cleveland (LA for example offered him more money and a bigger role) that had Irving firmly entrenched as the starting PG at the time he signed.  He clearly knew he wasn't getting starter minutes and thus must have been ok with it or he would have signed with the Lakers for double the money and a bigger defined role.

I would love it if sometime you could say "Yea this could actually be a problem for Cleveland"
It also seems you are really stretching things to fit your narrative here. Rose decided not to go to LA because he was NOT going to be given starters minutes:

https://nesn.com/2017/07/heres-reportedly-why-derrick-rose-chose-not-to-sign-with-lakers/

Meanwhile, Irving had already demanded a trade from the Cavs ,so it seemed more likely than not that he would be the starting point guard in Cleveland. It is kind of the exact opposite of what you said...

The world really won't fall apart if you admit if it is a potential issue...

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

I would love it if sometime you could say "Yea this could actually be a problem for Cleveland"
It also seems you are really stretching things to fit your narrative here. Rose decided not to go to LA because he was NOT going to be given starters minutes:

https://nesn.com/2017/07/heres-reportedly-why-derrick-rose-chose-not-to-sign-with-lakers/

Meanwhile, Irving had already demanded a trade from the Cavs ,so it seemed more likely than not that he would be the starting point guard in Cleveland. It is kind of the exact opposite of what you said...

Did you think Cleveland wasn't going to acquire a PG in the trade back for Irving?  Did anyone?  Rose knew he was going to be a back-up in Cleveland.  He signed there anyway for less money than he was offered elsewhere. 

Cleveland has lots of potential issues, Rose being a backup with backup minutes isn't one of them.

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

Did you think Cleveland wasn't going to acquire a PG in the trade back for Irving?  Did anyone?  Rose knew he was going to be a back-up in Cleveland.  He signed there anyway for less money than he was offered elsewhere. 

Cleveland has lots of potential issues, Rose being a backup with backup minutes isn't one of them.

You said Rose could have gone to LA for a bigger role. There is a report that nobody disputed that said Rose didn't sign there because he didn't actually like the backup role. You were incorrect in what you said. You could acknowledge it and have a reasonable discussion or you can be obnoxious and just ignore it and change the topics. What one do you want to do? I am not going to continue the debate with you if you make a point and it is proven incorrect and you just ignore it.

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

You said Rose could have gone to LA for a bigger role. There is a report that nobody disputed that said Rose didn't sign there because he didn't actually like the backup role. You were incorrect in what you said. You could acknowledge it and have a reasonable discussion or you can be obnoxious and just ignore it and change the topics. What one do you want to do? I am not going to continue the debate with you if you make a point and it is proven incorrect and you just ignore it.
LA did offer him a bigger role than Cleveland.  He ultimately determined that less money and a possible championship was the better option than more money and a bigger role on a terrible team.  Both were coming off the bench though so ultimately he would rather come off the bench for a great team than a bad (even for less money and less minutes).  I mean unless guys like Woj were completely wrong about the Lakers pitch to Rose, then nothing I said was inaccurate and your article is perfectly in line with what I've said.

All of that just proves the ultimate point I was making and which you dispute in that Rose was always intending to be a backup this year, with backup minutes. 

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

PG - Thomas 30, Rose 18
SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

SF - James 38, Korver 10
C - Love 36, Thompson 12

LA did offer him a bigger role than Cleveland.  He ultimately determined that less money and a possible championship was the better option than more money and a bigger role on a terrible team.  Both were coming off the bench though so ultimately he would rather come off the bench for a great team than a bad (even for less money and less minutes).  I mean unless guys like Woj were completely wrong about the Lakers pitch to Rose, then nothing I said was inaccurate and your article is perfectly in line with what I've said.

All of that just proves the ultimate point I was making and which you dispute in that Rose was always intending to be a backup this year, with backup minutes.

Cleveland gave him a chance to start. LA did not. Irving had demanded a trade at this point and there many rumored deals that did not involve getting a starting point guard back (Middleton and Parker from Bucks), deals centered around Porzingas. Even in some trades that involved point guards like the rumored Bledsoe deal, there was a chance bledsoe could have started alongside Rose. As usual with you on all things Cleveland you are expressing your opinion as fact. You have also said "irving was firmyl entrenched as a starting point guard" at the time of the trade. Nobody would agree with that description for a guy that had already demanded a trade and mocked the team's best player on a highly visible social media post. But I think I am the idiot for continuing these conversations with your ridiculous stubborness and insistence that everything is golden in cleveland.

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Lue debating upon making Love - that is just funny...

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lue debating upon making Love - that is just funny...

Well him and Tommy been hanging out in the shower too much  ;D